• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I must admit, considering it's been his main aim since 2017, they're not giving him the best preparation. Almost trying to be too clever; I get the theory, but why has nobody else has done it?
And I've said it before, only doing 2 World Cups (his first for 18 months) leaves him short in MTB race prep. Yes, the Tour is a big deal, but it might be that his road campaign (and COvid) wrecks his MTB goal. Which is something I hoped wouldn't happen
We'll know in less than 12 hours.
Covid is to blame. He had his career schedule dialed in nicely with the Olympic MTB in 2020 - not many options in 2021. That said, as much as I love mountain biking, it was a helluva a lot of fun watching him in the tour - stage 2, the leadouts, railing the final corners like a madman in the TT... I pretty much tuned out once he left. Covid screwed with everyones' schedule, but even more so for a guy trying to be the best in the absolute best in the world in 3 disciplines. Hoping things go his way - unfortunately I won't get to see it until I know the results because the peacock streaming schedule is weak - didn't show the men's road replay until a full day after it was done.

Abandoning the Tour for this, not worth it.
Come on. It was just one stupid mistake on the first lap, probably because of not knowing the track enough (late coming to Tokyo - yes this was apparently a huge mistake) and loosing his concentration for a second. He could have easily fought for the medal today.

And tbf, he probably wouldn't have done anything more on the Tour anyway, other than just finishing it.

edit: That looks interesting:

"The section Van der Poel crashed on included a ramp during training but that ramp was removed for the race. Some have suggested that Van der Poel may have forgotten about the ramp’s removal."

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRwVk8_FdWX/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

Last edited:
Come on. It was just one stupid mistake on the first lap, probably because of not knowing the track enough (late coming to Tokyo - yes this was apparently a huge mistake) and loosing his concentration for a second. He could have easily fought for the medal today.

And tbf, he probably wouldn't have done anything more on the Tour anyway, other than just finishing it.

edit: That looks interesting:

"The section Van der Poel crashed on included a ramp during training but that ramp was removed for the race. Some have suggested that Van der Poel may have forgotten about the ramp’s removal."

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRwVk8_FdWX/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again
I don't believe it. He must've known. Just a mistake imho... maybe dropper post would help. Majority of the riders had one...

"I was not aware, that plank was there during the reconnaissance. Only learned that it was removed at the test event."

National coach Gerben de Knegt did not see the fall happen, but thought the same. "Looks like he thought the board was still there. Why he thought that? I don't know. He's explored more laps than ever in the past few days. Ten or twelve. He was really fresh too."

not sure if weird translation or what but it says he didn't know the plank was there in training ???

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
"I was not aware, that plank was there during the reconnaissance. Only learned that it was removed at the test event."

National coach Gerben de Knegt did not see the fall happen, but thought the same. "Looks like he thought the board was still there. Why he thought that? I don't know. He's explored more laps than ever in the past few days. Ten or twelve. He was really fresh too."

not sure if weird translation or what but it says he didn't know the plank was there in training ???

From what I understand (dutch not my speciality either), he knew that in 2019 they removed it for the test event. During practice I think (from the videos that I saw) that initially it wasn't there and after a day or two of practice they put it there.

Blanka Kata Vas's instagram story (which was shared by VDP) said they took out the ramp after the last practice session and implied he didn't know. The portuguese female rider posted a video yesterday where she took the drop with the plank there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
they took a very strange approach to his big goal of the past 5 years. So I'm a bit afraid it will end in a dumpster fire. But we'll see tomorrow how it'll play out.
It can go hit or miss
dumpster fire it was... but even more stupid than i imagined.

A plank that everybody knew was not going to be there, but he thought it was going to be there. OH DEAR!

Reactions: Sciatic and Ripper
He must be gutted - a breakdown in communication and/or an error.......One hopes he's okay and can get back on the bike quickly. I hope he could ride the MTB Worlds in Val di Sole in a month; a course he's won at, and they'll have the XCC as a new race - his speciality. A rainbow MTB jersey would be some consolation.

However, I fear, that's it for the MTB this season......promised much....and crashed, literally.

TRENDING THREADS