• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is an ippon! VDP defeats the Canyon Lux and heads on to the next round of the MTB Judo Olympics.

uTTBvMM6HQGnvevfcDRqXQ-768-80.jpeg

no ramp today, no ears yesterday.

some evil force is definitely aiming at the poor Dutch.

Ps: I would fire Gerben de Knegt and Loes Gunnewijk as they don’t seem to have any added value. Moreover, they seem to distract the riders and create misunderstandings. Without these hapless coaches, riders would be forced (like Kiesenhofer) to do their homework better, and be much better prepared for anything being thrown at them during the race. You can’t trust on coaches that became coaches merely because they have been a rider themselves, while it could certainly help, that doesn’t imply they have a talent for coaching.

The second day in a row, a terribly amateurish dutch team. With two coaches who are totally incompetent. But also with the responsibility of the Dutch female riders yesterday and Vdp today. Typical Dutch arrogance and knowlegde.
I've been living in the Netherlands for a long ass time and still can't understand this mindset. Still don't really get the Dutch. It happens too damn much at this level.

I think Pidcock would have won regardless, but it would have made for a better race. Shame, really.

The second day in a row, a terribly amateurish dutch team. With two coaches who are totally incompetent. But also with the responsibility of the Dutch female riders yesterday and Vdp today. Typical Dutch arrogance and knowlegde.
I'm not too sure how much you can blame the coaches for this one? It wasn't their decision VdP came to Tokyo late and Vader had no problems and knew everything he needed to know.

When it happened I thought "oh damn, that's unfortunate" and felt sorry for him, but reading the explanation now... oh well...

I don't understand how you can be that casual, or should I say arrogant, about a race you've been working years towards. He can match with the dutch women about who deserved to lose harder.

When did Pidcock arrive in Japan? I'd be surprised if he hasn't been here for at least a week and reconned the course as much as possible.

A noob question since the only other time I've seen them ride fat tubes was Rio, but why did he hang back at 5th-8th position and not use his power to sit in the first three positions? Isn't it better to have more space in front of you for the difficult sections?

Most of the MTB races I've seen him, he led right away from the start and stayed in the front couple positions throughout. Maybe he tried something different today - or he didn't have the legs anyway.
I would say MTB tactics aren't much different from CX, but I'm also much closer to a noob than an expert in both.

A noob question since the only other time I've seen them ride fat tubes was Rio, but why did he hang back at 5th-8th position and not use his power to sit in the first three positions? Isn't it better to have more space in front of you for the difficult sections?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that maybe he though at first it wouldn't matter super much when everyone's relatively fresh and not really making mistakes?

Most of the MTB races I've seen him, he led right away from the start and stayed in the front couple positions throughout. Maybe he tried something different today - or he didn't have the legs anyway.
I would say MTB tactics aren't much different from CX, but I'm also much closer to a noob than an expert in both.
Not having legs could certainly be true tbh.

Reactions: red_flanders
I missed the start so can't tell you if there was an obvious reason, but yes, being in front on a technical course is much more preferable. It allows you to pick your lines, pace climbs as you want and reduces the chance someone who thinks they know better than everyone else takes you out while trying to roll a massive drop...

I believe it because it's a worse excuse than "I made a big technical error *** happens"
His teammate said they discussed it over lunch, after Mathieu had asked why nobody was using the plank.

Een plank bij de Sakura Drop lijkt de oorzaak te zijn van de valpartij voor Mathieu van der Poel. Althans, dat kan afgeleid worden uit de woorden van Milan Vader, die Van der Poel nog bij de lunch had gewaarschuwd. “Het is misschien hard om te zeggen, maar we hebben het hier nog over gehad.”

“Hij vroeg me waarom iedereen van de rotsen sprong, terwijl je er ook vanaf kunt rollen. Ik heb hem toen verteld dat ze die planken zouden weghalen. Bij het Test-Event (die Van der Poel op het laatste moment oversloeg wegens zijn volle kalender, red.) deden ze dat immers ook.”

When it happened I thought "oh damn, that's unfortunate" and felt sorry for him, but reading the explanation now... oh well...

I don't understand how you can be that casual, or should I say arrogant, about a race you've been working years towards. He can match with the dutch women about who deserved to lose harder.

When did Pidcock arrive in Japan? I'd be surprised if he hasn't been here for at least a week and reconned the course as much as possible.
Pidcock has been there for 2 weeks according to the commentary.

Correct. ~9 days ago.

Pidcock has been there for 2 weeks according to the commentary.
He's "only" been in Japan since July 17, according to this article:

TRENDING THREADS