• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I read MvdP hurt his knee in a crash and was off the bike for 4 days recently. I really wish he would tone it down a bit and take better care of his body. When was the last time you heard of Nino Shurter, the best XC racer of all time, being hurt in a training crash. Lack of focus for MvdP.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I read MvdP hurt his knee in a crash and was off the bike for 4 days recently. I really wish he would tone it down a bit and take better care of his body. When was the last time you heard of Nino Shurter, the best XC racer of all time, being hurt in a training crash. Lack of focus for MvdP.
MVDP actually crashes a fair amount - most guys who are constantly pushing the absolute outer limits of speed, grip, control, etc., have lots of near crashes/crashes - kind've why being a test pilot (think Chuck Yeager) is such a dangerous job - going into the unknown so to speak. Of course the payoff of pushing the envelope is that guys like MVDP and Senna can take "free" seconds/lap on the WVA's and Prosts of the world.

DT and SC, I can tell you are both knowledgeable about cycling, but not sure what is so surprising/alarming about MVDP's back and now knee issue. The OG crash obviously irritated some nagging back stuff, and now a crash sets him back a week. All pretty standard stuff in the life of a pro athlete/cyclist. He's finally doing what all the roadies want him to do - minimize CX in favor of the "bigger picture". My guess is he rounds into form in time to win another CX WC her in the US and then is virtually unbeatable again at SB.

Reactions: Sandisfan
DT and SC, I can tell you are both knowledgeable about cycling, but not sure what is so surprising/alarming about MVDP's back and now knee issue. The OG crash obviously irritated some nagging back stuff, and now a crash sets him back a week. All pretty standard stuff in the life of a pro athlete/cyclist. He's finally doing what all the roadies want him to do - minimize CX in favor of the "bigger picture". My guess is he rounds into form in time to win another CX WC her in the US and then is virtually unbeatable again at SB.

I suppose that’s true. I guess I’m a bit disappointed about not being able to see him race for another week. As has been the case for a while now Wout needs Mathieu and vice versa in order to make CX interesting again. CX lives off of these duels and epic rivalries.

Wout came in much much better shape this year though and now Mathieu’s debut race will be in Dendermonde in potentially similar conditions as last year. One weekend at least of racing would have done him a world of good before coming into Wout territory, especially with the latter’s superb form.

Anyway, I hope for better competition all-round to be honest. I can only dream of a battle between a top Mathieu, Wout, Iserbyt and Piddy.

I suppose that’s true. I guess I’m a bit disappointed about not being able to see him race for another week. As has been the case for a while now Wout needs Mathieu and vice versa in order to make CX interesting again. CX lives off of these duels and epic rivalries.

Wout came in much much better shape this year though and now Mathieu’s debut race will be in Dendermonde in potentially similar conditions as last year. One weekend at least of racing would have done him a world of good before coming into Wout territory, especially with the latter’s superb form.

Anyway, I hope for better competition all-round to be honest. I can only dream of a battle between a top Mathieu, Wout, Iserbyt and Piddy.

I'm very curious to see how MvdP goes, whether he starts out in top form or is content like Pidcock to start slow.

It almost looks like Wout came into the CX season too hot. If his CX goal is the WC, then maybe he should have gradually built form. On the other hand maybe he's just that much better than the current CX field -- which, let's be honest, is about an inch wide and an inch deep as top-level men's CX is pretty much limited to a bunch of Flandrians who aren't good enough to land WT road contracts. That's a bit harsh but take out Wout, Mathieu and Pidcock...and you've maybe got Iserbyt (who could use a break methinks), Aerts and inconsistently Vanthorenhout/Sweeck/Van den Haar/Hermans. That's not exactly a murderer's row.

I'm not sure I'd want to be returning at Dendermonde if I'd had a knee problem, especially if its another mudfest.......
Or a back problem. High torque, low cadence is the worse thing for bad knees and back. MvdP has reached an age where he's going to have to learn to be a little more cautious on the bike and do the extra gym work to remain healthy. Otherwise, 2019 will have been his peak season as an athlete.

• Haha
Reactions: glassmoon

Yeah, I agree on that. Very bummed out not to be able to watch MVDP at Namur this week - especially given how epic the last two versions have been, and the great earlier battles he had with WVA there. Something about that course that is just dark and a bit scary - no matter the conditions. Too bad it will be without both MVDP and WVA this year...

Reactions: Spine Concept
It's amazing how clever people are when it comes to what Van der Poel should and shouldn't do.
And he'll continue to do whatever the hell he wants to do. That's what makes him MVDP - along with the freakish talent that allows him to pull crazy *** off. PR might have been might favorite MVDP race yet, just cause you could tell that he was completely on the limit and going hell for leather - while obviously a few %'s off optimal form.

Reactions: Spine Concept
I usually like Adrie vdP's view and comments on cycling, but when it comes to his son and van Aert, it often sounds a bit ridiculous. He knew and predicted (or so he said) that van Aert would destroy everyone in his first race back, but says that Mathieu will probably only finish 5th or so in his first race and will only start battling for the victory from his 4th race onwards. Only someone who has been in a coma the last 8 years would believe that.

I usually like Adrie vdP's view and comments on cycling, but when it comes to his son and van Aert, it often sounds a bit ridiculous. He knew and predicted (or so he said) that van Aert would destroy everyone in his first race back, but says that Mathieu will probably only finish 5th or so in his first race and will only start battling for the victory from his 4th race onwards. Only someone who has been in a coma the last 8 years would believe that.

On the statement about the first race I agree, if Dendermonde will be like last year it won't be a easy comeback. About the other I hope not, he has a streak to continue in Diegem.

On the statement about the first race I agree, if Dendermonde will be like last year it won't be a easy comeback. About the other I hope not, he has a streak to continue in Diegem.
If Dendermonde is the same as last year, I still have a lot of trouble naming 4 riders who would finish in front of him. Next to van Aert, Aerts and maybe Vanthourenhout, there aren't any other toppers who are good in that type of race.

If Dendermonde is the same as last year, I still have a lot of trouble naming 4 riders who would finish in front of him. Next to van Aert, Aerts and maybe Vanthourenhout, there aren't any other toppers who are good in that type of race.
True, but if Dendermonde is like last year, it's a waste of time for MVDP. Today would have been a good race to get under his belt, as would Namur. Pretty much all about the WC this year for him. Of course, once he gets to 95%, he'll be winning - at least on any course that near suits him. He's just better than everyone else, minus WVA on an extremely heavy course (i.e. Dendermonde last year).

TRENDING THREADS