• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm a huge MvdP fan but I hope Wout keeps winning this season. The reason is I believe Wout takes his training more seriously than MvdP and therefore deserves the win. MvdP is more naturally talented and this led him to all those victories in the past. But a time comes for an athlete as they age that you can't rely on natural talent alone and you must do the boring, methodical training (core, intervals, running) to stay on top.

It's the first calendar year for a while that he hasn't won a CX World Cup; though he's only ridden in two. He also rode in two XCC, XCO World Cups:

Jan 2021 - CX; Overijse - 2nd

May 2021 - XCC; Albstadt - 1st
XCO; Albstadt - 7th

May 2021 - XCC; Nove Mesto - 1st
XCO; Nove Mesto - 2nd

Dec 2021 - CX; Dendermonde - 2nd.

Reactions: postmanhat
I'm a huge MvdP fan but I hope Wout keeps winning this season. The reason is I believe Wout takes his training more seriously than MvdP and therefore deserves the win. MvdP is more naturally talented and this led him to all those victories in the past. But a time comes for an athlete as they age that you can't rely on natural talent alone and you must do the boring, methodical training (core, intervals, running) to stay on top.
I can say 100% this is not true.

Ask any teammate that has been with VDP and they will say he trains beastly. Stybar trained with VDP in corona off season and was destroyed by it, took him until 2021 to recover. There's plenty of stories about that.

Teammates literally back off and let VDP go on his own because if they follow the same training they wreck their own condition.
You couldn't possible be more wrong about VDP and training lol.

well then

idk. offday?
Still, have a feeling alpecin are losing grip on the issues VDP has lately.
Interesting. Probably paid the price of trying to immediately go with a scorching van Aert yesterday. I wonder if he had come back last week when van Aert wasn't racing whether it would've given himself a more relaxed introduction than having his natural instinct in trying to be at the front and always shadowing van Aert?

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Well, his team will know what they're doing, but I thought coming back on a likely heavy course was interesting, as was racing immediately the next day, with very little recovery after a long time off the CX bike. I've seen it in other sports, a good race after a lay off, then the following race isn't as good. It proves he is normal, but was his injury worse than we were told?

He doesn't have many off days, but the last few I recall are Dwars door Vlaanderen this spring, and the XCO race in Les Gets in 2019......

Ask any teammate that has been with VDP and they will say he trains beastly. Stybar trained with VDP in corona off season and was destroyed by it, took him until 2021 to recover. There's plenty of stories about that.

Teammates literally back off and let VDP go on his own because if they follow the same training they wreck their own condition.

Yeah, I don't think Mathieu slacks off in training. He's got physical issues right now that aren't related to training volume or intensity. In fact what we've seen time and again are cyclists pushing to return from injury way too soon or without a clear resolution of their problems, for example Dumoulin, Froome, Evenepoel just to name a few big names...

It's the first calendar year for a while that he hasn't won a CX World Cup; though he's only ridden in two. He also rode in two XCC, XCO World Cups:

Jan 2021 - CX; Overijse - 2nd

May 2021 - XCC; Albstadt - 1st
XCO; Albstadt - 7th

May 2021 - XCC; Nove Mesto - 1st
XCO; Nove Mesto - 2nd

Dec 2021 - CX; Dendermonde - 2nd.

He won in Hulst, I think it was already in January.

Well, his team will know what they're doing, but I thought coming back on a likely heavy course was interesting, as was racing immediately the next day, with very little recovery after a long time off the CX bike.

I believe he wasn't planning to do Heusden-Zolder, but Diegem instead. With the cancellation of the latter, I guess he added this one to have more racing under his belt.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow, folks out there actually questioning MVDP's level of commitment and guts? Beyond absurd. As a huge MVDP fan, I like watching him struggle/overcome adversity as much as I like watching him pull off stuff that nobody else even tries to pull off. You don't win as much as MVDP wins without backing up God given talent with huge commitment and mental toughness. He wasn't even close to 100% at PR, and he buried WVA and pretty much everyone else in the race. Who wants to bet against him when he comes here to the USA?

No doubt MVDP rides his bike a lot....but does he consistently do the core work necessary to keep him strong and injury free?

Well, his team will know what they're doing, but I thought coming back on a likely heavy course was interesting, as was racing immediately the next day, with very little recovery after a long time off the CX bike. I've seen it in other sports, a good race after a lay off, then the following race isn't as good. It proves he is normal, but was his injury worse than we were told?

He doesn't have many off days, but the last few I recall are Dwars door Vlaanderen this spring, and the XCO race in Les Gets in 2019......
Does his team know what they are doing? If I had back and knee issues, my first CX race back wouldn't have been a tractor pull mudder. No way he can match Wout's raw power. And look how that left him for the race the next day in Zolder...weak and spent. I'd say his team isn't managing him well.

Reactions: Ripper
Does his team know what they are doing? If I had back and knee issues, my first CX race back wouldn't have been a tractor pull mudder. No way he can match Wout's raw power. And look how that left him for the race the next day in Zolder...weak and spent. I'd say his team isn't managing him well.
Dude relax. He is just starting from the winter break and an injury. Two races is not management. Besides which i doubt MVDP is manageable at all. He decides what he wants to do. The others, they just suggest. As far as dropping from/not competing in races, he does that almost every time he knows he is not competitive.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Dude relax. He is just starting from the winter break and an injury. Two races is not management. Besides which i doubt MVDP is manageable at all. He decides what he wants to do. The others, they just suggest. As far as dropping from/not competing in races, he does that almost every time he knows he is not competitive.
Aren't these 2 sentences exactly in agreement with the words you highlighted in stoneriders post?

Reactions: Ripper
As I wrote here months ago ..... the combination of different disciplines (sometimes even during the same season) is, even for a superman like Vdp, too heavy and irresponsible. Some "connoisseurs" laughed at this. But, in the last part of the summerseason, did this already come true. Not just because of the crash at the olympics. And now also during the winter.
Not only is it about conditional problems (fatigue), but also about a higher susceptibility to injury. The back injury, partly sustained by the too heavy program (already present before his crash in Japan), now appears to be unable to get under control. Vdp has now rested enough after the summer season. But if in 2022 he once again combines cyclocross, the classic spring on the road, mountain biking in between, the Tour and finally the autumn classics and the WC on road, you know how it will end. An absolute top rider who will only occasionally show a flash of his ability.

And breaking news, Vdp already gives a forfeit for the next two cyclocrosses, in Loenhout and Hulst. Due to his persistent back problems. I have such a slight suspicion that his program will look different in 2022. Despite the best-witted here.
Apparently he has an oedema on an intervertebral disc and has to stay off the bike for a while again. Doctors guarantee a full recovery, but he might need to adjust his ambitions for the Worlds in Fayetville, or even forget about it at all. In my opinion, I'd skip cyclocross this season and focus on a good preparation for the road.

Apparently he has an oedema on an intervertebral disc and has to stay off the bike for a while again. Doctors guarantee a full recovery, but he might need to adjust his ambitions for the Worlds in Fayetville, or even forget about it at all. In my opinion, I'd skip cyclocross this season and focus on a good preparation for the road.
An edema is a build-up of fluid, correct? Idk the typical recovery time but maybe he should pull the plug on CX this year.