• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 134 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His climbing is a little sad in the sense that it's not good enough to win mountain stage breakaways even if he does all the descending attacks and tactics in the world.
Maybe, just maybe, with perfect luck and everything, he might win an easier one, I guess. But honestly one of the reason why I like him a fair bit more than Van Aert is that while he is an extremely strong rider he cannot just laugh and stomp 99% of the peloton on all terrains (well, he's got the potential to be a great TTist, but he isn't one yet). So, while I enjoyed his ride today, I'm kind of relieved he didn't win.

Maybe, just maybe, with perfect luck and everything, he might win an easier one, I guess. But honestly one of the reason why I like him a fair bit more than Van Aert is that while he is an extremely strong rider he cannot just laugh and stomp 99% of the peloton on all terrains (well, he's got the potential to be a great TTist, but he isn't one yet). So, while I enjoyed his ride today, I'm kind of relieved he didn't win.
Everytime I hear about so called greats, if they lose hours in the GTs because of the climbs I'm left wondering. I realize this is unpopular but so be it.

Everytime I hear about so called greats, if they lose hours in the GTs because of the climbs I'm left wondering. I realize this is unpopular but so be it.
I'm not sure I get your point. You're saying that truly great cyclists should always be able to top the GC in GTs? If so, yes, I think that has been a pretty unpopular idea since the 70s or so.

His climbing is a little sad in the sense that it's not good enough to win mountain stage breakaways even if he does all the descending attacks and tactics in the world.
There are many words to describe MvdP's climbing today. Sad isn't one of them I wouldn't have thought. He had people scared today (Inc the giro social media team). That was a hard mountain stage and no one would expect him to have been at the pointy end at that stage. But there he was, holding his gap.

As usual it was all out until the lights went out. MvdP is a real entertainer, something cycling is short on.

Last edited:
Of course you're relieved he didn't win - you sound like a WVA fan, and you know if MVDP focused on the road he'd beat WVA straight up even more easily than he already does. WVA is great in his own right, but he's not MVDP in terms of talent or "panache". The record bears that out.

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq
there are really only three riders that presently are "re-writing" how to win and when you can attack (or at least taking us back to a different era):

Pog
Remco
VdP

I would like to put Ala and WvA in there, but they are largely conventional, though definitely exciting.

Basically, it comes down to this: can you imagine any other riders today doing what Pog did at Strade Bianche, or VdP at Amstel, or Remco at LBL (or San Sebastian for that matter)?

i can't.

I'm not sure I get your point. You're saying that truly great cyclists should always be able to top the GC in GTs? If so, yes, I think that has been a pretty unpopular idea since the 70s or so.
70s? Nah. A number of riders post 70s in my mind qualify. I reserve "great" for an Alexander of the sport. It seems to be thrown around too lightly these days. Doubtless MvDP is a spectacular rider, I was just musing over the fact that, despite his "greatness," he is a couple of hours behind in this Giro. So how should we refer to those fighting for GC?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
So how should we refer to those fighting for GC?
GC riders?

Look, I get your point, but you either go for GC or you don't care about how much time you lose: one or two hours, it's all the same. Isn't Sagan a 'truly great' cyclist? What about Cavendish, or Gilbert? And if you argue that both Classics and GT wins are required to make a rider truly great, then what about Froome and Contador?

The only great riders in the peloton would be Pog, Rog, and Vincenzo Nibali (maybe Valverde as well).

Of course you're relieved he didn't win - you sound like a WVA fan, and you know if MVDP focused on the road he'd beat WVA straight up even more easily than he already does. WVA is great in his own right, but he's not MVDP in terms of talent or "panache". The record bears that out.
I literally said that I like VdP a 'fair bit' (= a lot) more than VA in the post you quote, lol. The reason why I didn't mind him missing out on this win is precisely the reason why I like WvA less. I prefer riders who excel in a couple of niches and maximize their chances to win based on them rather than riders who can win no matter what. That's why I favour MvdP and Remco over Wva and Pog.

Reactions: Ripper
70s? Nah. A number of riders post 70s in my mind qualify. I reserve "great" for an Alexander of the sport. It seems to be thrown around too lightly these days. Doubtless MvDP is a spectacular rider, I was just musing over the fact that, despite his "greatness," he is a couple of hours behind in this Giro. So how should we refer to those fighting for GC?

Put those riders who are hours ahead of MvdP in a CX, or XC MTB World Cup season, and see how good they are. They'd be lapped every race - doesn't make them poor riders, it's not what they are. Similarly, MvdP is a big guy, he can't possibly beat 'skinny little climbers' on GC.

He's the only current rider with World Tour road wins, CX World Cup, XCO & XCC World Cup wins.....

Put those riders who are hours ahead of MvdP in a CX, or XC MTB World Cup season, and see how good they are. They'd be lapped every race - doesn't make them poor riders, it's not what they are. Similarly, MvdP is a big guy, he can't possibly beat 'skinny little climbers' on GC.

He's the only current rider with World Tour road wins, CX World Cup, XCO & XCC World Cup wins.....
Does Pidcock not have a World Tour road win?

It‘s actually incredible that this Giro would be the first GT that Mathieu finishes, if he reaches the finish in Verona. He waited quite long for that.

I think he, as an athlete, will benefit really, really greatly from finishing Grand Tours, now. He goes now full gas in the Italian mountains in week three, nearly all week, and that is so important for him. No training in the world would be able to give him the benefit that stages like this week‘s give him.

For us, furthermore, it‘s a pleasure to watch, also: beautiful Italian mountain spring scenery, peloton full of climbers in top shape, and MVDP as powerful muscular „Dutch Bull“ in the breakaways for hours, challenging the best climbers in the world, and looking good… :)

So good to see him racing. Doesn‘t matter if it‘s Superprestige in cold and dark Belgium in December, or hot Giro end of May - MVDP is the born racer, and goes full gas all year. Just like Wout - and no one else… :)

GC riders?

Look, I get your point, but you either go for GC or you don't care about how much time you lose: one or two hours, it's all the same. Isn't Sagan a 'truly great' cyclist? What about Cavendish, or Gilbert? And if you argue that both Classics and GT wins are required to make a rider truly great, then what about Froome and Contador?

The only great riders in the peloton would be Pog, Rog, and Vincenzo Nibali (maybe Valverde as well).
I get all that. Admittedly, as I have said elsewhere, I consider the GC Bigs to be the genetic freaks of the sport, with special motors. All I'm saying is that the word "great" (magnus) should be used sparingly. What about Indurain for all that? Good question and there is no mathematical answer. I'm just aware that, even if a MvDP were to try for GC, he has no chance of being up there, whereas we saw what Pogacar did in his first Flanders (a fish out of water). Now that's greatness. But anyone is free to see things otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh

TRENDING THREADS