• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 137 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To be honest I don't really know who to compare VanderPol to. He is a quality rider

Anyway if Van Aert keeps winning like that he can exceed his status as a Belgian pozzato, just as remco became more than a Belgian spilak.

If wout attack more in big races he can win 2 of flanders, roubaix and world championships and have a palmare like Ballan or Alaphilippe

Reactions: Salvarani
He already showed that the past 4 stages?
lmao, cmon man. VDP worked for Philipsen the previous day and even today that was the plan. I personally think it's a mistake and he should have gone for it himself today and start the climb in the front not behind... but that's another question.

Or are you dry eyed claiming VDP could have never followed today?

Reactions: Didinho
lmao, cmon man. VDP worked for Philipsen the previous day and even today that was the plan. I personally think it's a mistake and he should have gone for it himself today and start the climb in the front not behind... but that's another question.

Or are you dry eyed claiming VDP could have never followed today?
I'm giving you a one-eyed death stare while saying it.

Jeezes. I was kidding. I was trying to hook Senna, who was making all sorts of claims how Van Aert was going to be calling for his mommy, facing MvdP in the TDF.

That said, i do think Van Aert currently is a level above, yep. But i also think we will not be seeing the best Van der Poel this year. Winning RVV was quite a feat, but i think his winter prep was simply not good enough of a base for the rest of the season.

Nobody but his legs has MvdP on a leash. He has complete freedom to ride as he feels.
I think that is a likely scenario. He might be working for Philipsen because he isn't feeling good enough right now. Not the other way around. I think it's likely if he would have been able to go with Van Aert, that he would have. If not to for his own chances, then art least to shut down Van Aert specifically to help Philipsen.

Reactions: kingjr
That was an unexpected finish, I doubt MvdP was anywhere close to in position as he wasn't aiming for the stage in any case. MvdP never pulled to bring wout back for his team, that to me says he is saving himself. I imagine he is going all in tomorrow, and wout may be a little tired after that effort today.

MvdP has decided to be more measured lately, I look forward to today's stage!

Last edited:
I'm giving you a one-eyed death stare while saying it.

Jeezes. I was kidding. I was trying to hook Senna, who was making all sorts of claims how Van Aert was going to be calling for his mommy, facing MvdP in the TDF.

That said, i do think Van Aert currently is a level above, yep. But i also think we will not be seeing the best Van der Poel this year. Winning RVV was quite a feat, but i think his winter prep was simply not good enough of a base for the rest of the season.
We'll see Logic. MVDP races on emotion, and I'm guessing he will line up tomorrow looking to put things right. I like seeing the very best being put to the test like this. Who knows where his form is right now. It's been a bit of a strange last 6 months for him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him win 5 and 6. He wasn't that far off on the opening TT. He was clearly riding in support of Philipsen today - for whatever reason. Bad move if AD is trying to do their part to get Americans to watch cycling - could have been a classic head to head battle today.

Startinterview had him saying ‘he doesn’t have the legs and is waiting for something to turn around’ ‘he did not see that coming but it’s nothing he can do about now’. Guess we won’t see him today and have to wait until he finds better form.

Yeah, he's been saying that from the start. Doubt that form will come anytime soon.

Did entirely too much at the Giro, considering his less than stellar winter.

TRENDING THREADS