• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Presumably you are referring to him dusting Pog at the end of Flanders. Evidently WvA isn't the only one MvdP can psych out, because Pog was clearly the strongest rider that day and, as we saw in Liege before and more recently in Montreal, Tadej can make a really good sprint at the end of a long, hard race.

It will be interesting to see whose got more left in the tank at the end of Worlds, while, as we have seen before in England, sometimes MvdP does run out of gas on these really long and demanding circuits. Then you have to wonder what having a Vuelta in his legs is going to mean for Remco. Will he be spent or flying? If the latter then between him and WvA, Belgium has two very dangerous cards to play and that's going to be a lot to handle for the other guys. Unfortunately, Evenepoel is also doing the TT and we saw where that left WvA after he challenged in the TT on the Leuven circuit. So it's risky for the road race.
MVDP simply bonked at '19 Worlds. Didn't get enough calories/carbs in those uniquely *** conditions. Can't think of any other cases where the distance has been a problem. As for Flanders this year, watch the finish footage again and tell me if you really think Pogi could have beaten MVDP straight up. He had his chance on the Paterberg, but MVPD has a unique ability to go a bit deeper when he smells the finish line. Race was over at the top of that climb and MVDP was never going to be dropped there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think he leaves it too late when traveling to these high profile, far away races. He was probably the last XCO racer to arrive at the Olympic venue in China and we know how that turned out. He's not giving his body time to properly adjust to the time change which causes him to make bad decisions.

Reactions: Raggamuffin
I think he leaves it too late when traveling to these high profile, far away races. He was probably the last XCO racer to arrive at the Olympic venue in China and we know how that turned out. He's not giving his body time to properly adjust to the time change which causes him to make bad decisions.
Is he still riding the mixed ITT on Wednesday ? Seems like weird prep.

he does not like being in a hotel way before a race.

Is he still riding the mixed ITT on Wednesday ? Seems like weird prep.

Yes, he says so in this long interview:

he does not like being in a hotel way before a race.
Sure, but it's a long way to Australia. His body will be smashed by the time difference. If I were him I'd be here by now. Wout is. What good can another little race in Europe really do?

I love MvdP, but he often makes decisions that leave me scratching my head (like doing two grand tours in a row after avoiding them for years). But it's part of him keeping it so interesting I suppose :sweatsmile:

Was he supposed to fly to Australia tomorrow or on sunday? From the excerpt that I read it sound like he antecipated in a day the travel.
He would normally fly a couple hours after the race tomorrow, so I think he will just take the same plane as planned

yeah, I think so too. The Swiss team had to fly in Eco because late upgrades would have cost 10000 Euro, so I guess it doesn't make much sense to do any changes.

In the Wielerflits interview he said Saturday evening from Brussel, via Dubai. That flight leaves at 21:45 and he arrives in Sydney on Monday in the morning.

Now that is nice… ;) Mathieu skipped Primus Classic, he feared to get a cold or to crash, a week before WC RR.

Did Mathieu then stop in Barbados, on his way to Australia? He seems to have become National RR Champion there, on Sunday:

Changed his name slightly… ;) lol gg

Just like VDB entered a Gran Fondo or something like that in Italy, subscribing as Francesco del Ponte… ;)

Only joking, but who knows? ;)

• Haha
After a hunger knock in Yorkshire and a missing plank in Tokyo now a stuck chain and a random crash getting in the way of a medal in a major competition (it's mixed relay I know, but a World Championship medal nonetheless). Thank god I didn't bother to wake up early to watch it as I did in Tokyo.

Let's see what sunday's road race has in store.

After a hunger knock in Yorkshire and a missing plank in Tokyo now a stuck chain and a random crash getting in the way of a medal in a major competition (it's mixed relay I know, but a World Championship medal nonetheless). Thank god I didn't bother to wake up early to watch it as I did in Tokyo.

Let's see what sunday's road race has in store.

He looked strong today, honestly. I heard the commentators say there are two basic possibilities to deal with the jet lag - arrive really early or arrive really late. Just not in between which they thought the worst. No idea.
Anyway, today at least he looked in good condition.

TRENDING THREADS