• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 144 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The great thing about VDP being in good form here is knowing he’ll start attacking from farther out so we’re less likely to get a race like Bergen. It’s possible we could still see a sizable group of favorites together on the last lap, but it more likely they will have done some hard racing to get there.

The great thing about VDP being in good form here is knowing he’ll start attacking from farther out so we’re less likely to get a race like Bergen. It’s possible we could still see a sizable group of favorites together on the last lap, but it more likely they will have done some hard racing to get there.

VDP says he is not in great form? To win he will need to be in his best form. Anything less is impossible IMO.

Mathieu van der Poel 'good but not at my best' for World Championships | Cyclingnews

VDP says he is not in great form? To win he will need to be in his best form. Anything less is impossible IMO.

Mathieu van der Poel 'good but not at my best' for World Championships | Cyclingnews
He said not his best ever form but good and ready to fight for the win, I d wager that's true for a lot of the favourites, no way Remco is in his best form, I doubt pog is, and wout could be but his best form is seen at the tour lately, can he peak twice - maybe. Lou Lou certainly won't be in his best form.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He said not his best ever form but good and ready to fight for the win, I d wager that's true for a lot of the favourites, no way Remco is in his best form, I doubt pog is, and wout could be but his best form is seen at the tour lately, can he peak twice - maybe. Lou Lou certainly won't be in his best form.
I wonder why he has had such a hard time finding his best form this year. He's had plenty of time since pulling out of the TdF early.

I wonder why he has had such a hard time finding his best form this year. He's had plenty of time since pulling out of the TdF early.
He did complete his first GT and was pretty animate throughout. That probably took a toll and tried doing the full Tour but didn’t have the form. We saw in the Vuelta those who rode the Giro were struggling to find form and rode themselves into shape. Now it wasn’t as bad as the 2011 Giro that had everyone tired.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Guessing it is as hard for MVDP to assess his exact form as it is for us - given how much he has bounced around disciplines the last 4 years and the chaotic year he's had. If he is at 99%+ on Sunday he wins - no matter where anyone else is. He had no chance last year given the back injury. Too bad too, cause he would've completely destroyed everyone on that course if he was close. JV (at least in their TDF form) has distorted things, but an on form MVDP is always going to be the odds on favorite to win any 1 day classic type race he enters.

• Wow
Guessing it is as hard for MVDP to assess his exact form as it is for us - given how much he has bounced around disciplines the last 4 years and the chaotic year he's had. If he is at 99%+ on Sunday he wins - no matter where anyone else is. He had no chance last year given the back injury. Too bad too, cause he would've completely destroyed everyone on that course if he was close. JV (at least in their TDF form) has distorted things, but an on form MVDP is always going to be the odds on favorite to win any 1 day classic type race he enters.
Read this: https://www.procyclingstats.com/article/who-will-win-the-worlds

• Wow
I seriously thought that the 'I told him the plank wouldn't be there during breakfast but he didn't took notice" wouldn't ever be beaten but I'm on this to be constantly amazed.

One trip to Tokyo for nothing and now one to Australia. At least there are no more major competitions on the other side of the world scheduled for now.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Irregardless of what happened in terms of physical contact:
I find it hard to fathom mvdp was in this situation, where nobody else was around from the Dutch delegation, and maybe first of all, in a situation where his room isnt surrounded by other rider’s / delegation / staff rooms so that it isnt possible to make noise without the whole dutch team standing in the hallway…?

I also wonder how good (or bad) his jetlag still was, resulting in much more stress in a situation like this, on the eve of such a big race.

Lol, the whole situation has been a shambles. His arrest aside, the KNWU knew nothing of it until the start of the race. No one was with him the entire night. More so, the Dutch team was too late with their homework and had to book a hotel in the center of Sydney, a two hour drive away from the race. Van der Poel himself did not fly business class like many others, he flew first class, which is even more expensive. He has paid ~ €30.000 to: 1). see any chance of a medal in the mixed relay vanquish 10 meters after coming off the starting ramp, 2). retire in the road race 30 minutes after the start and 3). spend a night in jail and possible further consequences.

Irregardless of what happened in terms of physical contact:
I find it hard to fathom mvdp was in this situation, where nobody else was around from the Dutch delegation, and maybe first of all, in a situation where his room isnt surrounded by other rider’s / delegation / staff rooms so that it isnt possible to make noise without the whole dutch team standing in the hallway…?

I also wonder how good (or bad) his jetlag still was, resulting in much more stress in a situation like this, on the eve of such a big race.
Agree, it's all very strange and you have to wonder why they had access and why he reacted so poorly.

What a disaster :(

What a farce. I can understand why Van der Poel gets frustrated but of course getting physical is not okay if that is indeed what happened. He'll be back with a vengeance next year!

I can't believe someone from the Dutch team didn't help him out in this situation. They should have placed someone in front of the door to keep those kids away.

TRENDING THREADS