• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Losing your chance to become a World Champion because of two spoiled brats that Australian GOV took side on & deemed worth protecting, even if they were the cause of the incident ......:mad:

I feel your pain MvP
Two spoiled brats and a professional who needs to learn self control. It was easily avoidable?

Agree about the Australian government. I think it’s called populism and sadly it is popular to beat up on cyclists here. We are not Europe. Even on shared pathways recreational cyclists get abused by old people who don’t seem to understand the word “shared”. It’s a lose / lose situation. Europeans should be thankful but I know even over there can be problems.
Wrong town, and also, it's hard to imagine but the cycling world championship in Sydney is totally irrelevant to the vast majority of Australians.

Now if this had happened to a footballer - man it would be all over the news, 24/7, forever.
Actually I would challenge your assumption that most in Australia are aware the worlds are being conducted. Living in Sydney I don’t think the worlds were well publicised outside of the city of Wollongong (Obviously it depends what form of media you frequent. The overwhelming majority of Australians were unaware. We have football finals here now and that is where the media attention is.

Two spoiled brats and a professional who needs to learn self control. It was easily avoidable?
If MVDP did the right thing first by asking them to stop, informing the hotel staff, and called the police with no resolution of the teens stopping or the third parties getting involved timely, it would not be easily avoidable. If he did everything right, you can only go so long if you’re constantly being harassed with no help before an important day. We don’t even know half of the whole story. Is it okay for him to yell at the teens to stop after being harassed, yes. Is it okay for him to hit or threaten to hurt them, no.

Agree about the Australian government. I think it’s called populism and sadly it is popular to beat up on cyclists here. We are not Europe. Even on shared pathways recreational cyclists get abused by old people who don’t seem to understand the word “shared”. It’s a lose / lose situation. Europeans should be thankful but I know even over there can be problems.

Actually I would challenge your assumption that most in Australia are aware the worlds are being conducted. Living in Sydney I don’t think the worlds were well publicised outside of the city of Wollongong (Obviously it depends what form of media you frequent. The overwhelming majority of Australians were unaware. We have football finals here now and that is where the media attention is.
That's what I said! Hardly anyone knew and even less cared. I'm a victorian, where football is the state religion :/

Reactions: Cookster15
Pretty much.

My assertion that it was stupid is also no based on the allegation that it was a physical alteration. I'm perfectly willing to believe MvdP that it was just a verbal engagement. My assertion is just that even that was a stupid thing to do.
...and very human. Particularly for someone under immense pressure. My assertion is that the parents spawned entitled little brats, who don't want to address their actions.

Last edited:
If MVDP did the right thing first by asking them to stop, informing the hotel staff, and called the police with no resolution of the teens stopping or the third parties getting involved timely, it would not be easily avoidable. If he did everything right, you can only go so long if you’re constantly being harassed with no help before an important day. We don’t even know half of the whole story. Is it okay for him to yell at the teens to stop after being harassed, yes. Is it okay for him to hit or threaten to hurt them, no.
Yes we are speculating. But the last sentence was avoidable assuming that happened.

Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
I believe that this is a case where everybody is at fault.
handling the incident differently.
The kids - The root cause. Why are they knocking on other people doors in a hotel after 10:30 pm?
The parents - Their motto seems to have been "Our kids your responsibility"
The team Management - MVDP was their leader. Whose idea was it to switch MVDP. It would have been better to shift Maas and keep MVDP on the team floor with his girlfriend.
The hotel Management - Which hotel allows kids to play in the corridor at night? Usually hotels have a strict no disturbance policy.
MVDP - He should have just told the kids to leave his door alone at worst. Talk to parents as it is their responsibility. Talk to Hotel management as it is their hotel. Talk to team management as it is their responsibility to ensure riders wellbeing. Or at least get somebody else to deal with the problem. getting physical or even verbal is a strict no no with other's kids.
MVDP's girlfriend - Could she not have taken the initiative to deal with the problem.
After the Incident.
The police
- The police could have released MVDP to the teams care and asked him to move his room away from the kids, confiscating his passport instead of releasing him at 4 am after ensuring that the incident does not escalate further
The girlfriend -did she immediately contact the team?
The team - did they even try to assure the police that they will ensure isolation of the rider on their floor?

easily preventable, escalated to international proportions.

Text below. Sounds like he will fight it later but wants to prioritise getting back to Europe. It still blows my mind this occurred and derailed a worlds challenge.

Cyclist Mathieu van der Poel has been convicted in Australia for the confrontation with two girls in a hotel in Sydney. The judge fined him $1,000 for pushing one girl and $500 for the other girl. Converted into a total of just over a thousand euros.

The judge counted it heavily on Van der Poel that he took the law into his own hands. According to the judge, he should not have done that, but should have called the hotel security.

Van der Poel spent the night from Saturday to Sunday in jail for pushing the girls aged 13 and 14. He did that because they were making noise and knocking repeatedly on his door. He became frustrated because he couldn't sleep just before his participation in the World Cup.

He pushed one girl against a wall and the other girl he pushed down causing her arm to hurt. The fact that Van der Poel as a professional cyclist had an important race ahead of him was not a mitigating circumstance for the court.

Appeal against decision
The lawsuit against the cyclist was supposed to take place on Tuesday, but because he is flying back home today, the court's agenda was adjusted. Van der Poel's lawyer had asked for this.

Van der Poel flies back home at 10 a.m. Dutch time. His lawyer says he will appeal against the ruling and hopes that the rider will be acquitted. Van der Poel did not want to comment after the lawsuit.

Last edited:
I should really study up on Australian justice system. Odd that he didn't go through the "normal" process -- i.e., charged with misdemeanor such as battery etc., evidence-finding period, hearings, trial etc -- I can guarantee that if an adult male physically puts his hand on a teenage girl you're looking at a big pile of problems in most developed countries. And in the U.S. he'd be facing a civil suit on top of it...

Anyway, he's got some 'splainin' to do...luckily pro sport is much more forgiving than "real life" so long as he wins again... :neutral:

Reactions: noob
VDP still denies pushing which is why the lawyer appeals. And he probably doesn't want a criminal record because that could make travelling abroad very challenging.
So why did he plead guilty to the assault charges ? Anyway he is appealing, probably more, to have the charges quashed, the fines were small.

"After a few times I was done with it. I didn't ask so nicely to stop. Then the police were called and I was taken. "

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
So why did he plead guilty to the assault charges ? Anyway he is appealing, probably more, to have the charges quashed, the fines were small.

"After a few times I was done with it. I didn't ask so nicely to stop. Then the police were called and I was taken. "
He later clarified he never touched them. He didn't plead guilty to the assault charges. He only said he went after that. Please get the facts straight

TRENDING THREADS