• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The ambassador of Dutch cycling needs small educational session about persons (his or her) physical and mental integrity, me thinks. :D No news, tbo, top athletes are often highly specialized. They know how to take off-camber slippery left hander at warp speed, but common sense sometimes, well...

Reactions: noob
Seriously I want that video verified or I am chosing to not believe he's chased teenage girls and pinned them on the floor in his underwear.
In their wildest fantasy the teenage girls knocking on the door couldn't have gotten a more exciting and gratifying response. And with marks on their body as a trophy.

Amateur! He's way too generous!

(Yeah this post just might contain satire.)

On a serious note; guy clearly has issues with mental health and needs help. Sadly.

Last edited:
I got 2 kids and I would've been so pissed off at them if they behaved like this. I would've told them to apologise.

This world is going crazy. The fact these girls are filming there attempts to make someone go crazy and cross the line so they can call the police is proof that being an absolute terrible person is getting rewarded.
(edit: Girls filming their bad behaviour ofcourse doesn't mean they use it to call the police. Besides that it's them that start provocation and are waiting for an reaction which they got)

Van der Poel is an idiot for letting the girls get to him like this though.. He should've called the hotel manager or the team NL manager instead of getting tilted so badly that he started chasing the girls.

He got trolled so badly it's not funny anymore.

Last edited:
Whole situation is super annoying. Those kids behaving in a super inconsiderate and selfish manner deserved to be punished by their parents. You've got to be a proper sh*t to knock on someone's hotel room door in the night after they had asked you to stop.

But because of Van derPoel stupidity in response they are going to look like the good guys in this situation .Hopefully they learned not to do that again.

I honestly don't know what I would do in van der poels situation. But I would be probably explaining my situation multiple times to them and askin them to stop before i even thought about leaving my hotel room

his girlfriend apparently asked them to stop.
They record it
they keep on doing it

so this is bottom line harassment isn't it? And what he did? he didn't beat them did he? tbh we are getting way to soft with these kind of 'pranks'. If you did this 40 years ago, you would get a beating from the guy catching you and a beating from your parents when they hear what you did.

Now you get the guy you pranked/harassed to pay +1000€, a police visit, a restriction to a country... just because they chased you away.

I believe his sponsorships are at huge risk. Zwift and Alpecin commercial gonna change their front.

I am not a fan of cancel culture, I really just want him to get help. :(

Do you really think he will be cancelled for this?

Aren't you blowing it a little bit out of proportion? Considering what other people have been cancelled for.

Sure, it's not a good look but he isn't a rapist or murderer, and he doesn't have priors.

Velonews has some content on the other video.

A second video, which VeloNews has not seen but has been viewed by Dutch publications, involves an argument between Van der Poel and the girls’ parents.

According to AD the following is said:

Van der Poel: “I didn’t touch anybody.”
The mother: “Shut up, it’s on camera.”
VDP: “Show me, no problem.”
TM: “You are not allowed in my room.”
VDP: “You are not allowed to knock my door for three *** hours.”
TM: “You threatened us.”
VDP: “Then call the police and tell them about this.”
TM: “I already did. They are on their way.”
VDP: “Fine, are you sure?”

I cannot see how MVP is not the victim here.

Of course he could have handled it better, but what bot posters here and there fail to realize with their amazing jokes is that everyone has a boiling point, especially in the eve of a WC race. So props for him, to MAL and everyone who reacts like a human in a machine sport an even if it took him nowhere.

No wonder that he was devastated. The entitlement of kids and parents and the whole ridiculousness of the situation would and ought to break one down.

Velonews has some content on the other video.

A second video, which VeloNews has not seen but has been viewed by Dutch publications, involves an argument between Van der Poel and the girls’ parents.

I cannot see how MVP is not the victim here.

Of course he could have handled it better, but what bot posters here and there fail to realize with their amazing jokes is that everyone has a boiling point, especially in the eve of a WC race. So props for him, to MAL and everyone who reacts like a human in a machine sport an even if it took him nowhere.

No wonder that he was devastated. The entitlement of kids and parents and the whole ridiculousness of the situation would and ought to break one down.
A lesson on the benefit of segregation. Rich people should generally stay away from poor people.

If this is correct, it confirmed what I believed. The parents were involved and they are of the helicopter type.

My god this mother... Why is it so hard to just be decent people.

That night, and the day after must have been terrible for him. You prepare for so long, get harassed by teenagers that have no compassion, make 1 small mistake, and instead of trying to find common ground, they just make it worse for him.

TRENDING THREADS