• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 161 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do you really think he will be cancelled for this?

Aren't you blowing it a little bit out of proportion? Considering what other people have been cancelled for.

Sure, it's not a good look but he isn't a rapist or murderer, and he doesn't have priors.
People get cancelled for less. Here's even a conviction.

As I said I'm not a fan of cancel culture. But yes I ain't gonna pretend this isn't serious.

I still hope that video isn't real.

I don't know how I would react if my sleep was being disturbed for almost three hours when I was trying to rest before possibly the most important day of the year in my profession, which I focused on for more than 2 months, in a year which had more bad periods than good ones.

Certainly don't know how fast would I reach my boiling point when I, or the person I was with then, already tried to stop the disturbances by asking politely to the ones that were causing it.

I certainly I'm sure I wouldn't have the calm, with the problem already happening for 3 hours, to have the judgment of mind to ask the hotel managers to come check it. After all, it's the middle of the night in a +250 bedroom hotel. It seems the girls were on a nearby room so what's the most likely outcome? When someone arrives, they hide inside the room, coming out again after security left.

I don't know how I would react if my sleep was being disturbed for almost three hours when I was trying to rest before possibly the most important day of the year in my profession, which I focused on for more than 2 months, in a year which had more bad periods than good ones.

Certainly don't know how fast would I reach my boiling point when I, or the person I was with then, already tried to stop the disturbances by asking politely to the ones that were causing it.

I certainly I'm sure I wouldn't have the calm, with the problem already happening for 3 hours, to have the judgment of mind to ask the hotel managers to come check it. After all, it's the middle of the night in a +250 bedroom hotel. It seems the girls were on a nearby room so what's the most likely outcome? When someone arrives, they hide inside the room, coming out again after security left.

I once went to the zoo with my then 3 year old son. There was a group of 5-6 teenagers and I can't even recall what exactly they did, but they were being jerks and were harassing random people. I noticed this for a while and this allready raised my irritation levels. At some point they decided it was time to annoy me and well they succeeded because I reacted. I only reacted verbally, just talked to them and asked them to stop. Consequence was that they decided to spoil my day at the zoo by following me everywhere and being annoying jerks.
I so badly wanted to hit them in the face, but what can I do? I had my 3 year old son with me (most of the time he didn't even notice what was going on thank god)so it was not like I wanted to end up in a brawl infront of him.
Besides that, if I hit one of them I would get accused of violence.
You always lose in these situations. Always.

I've learned from that day and ignore/avoid all these situations. What I hate most about this is that people that behave like absolute jerks ( i want to use other words, but censorship won't allow me) always get away with that behaviour and that is something I have a hard time dealing with. It angers me the hell out of me.

You think responding like this benefits him? You think needing help is bad?

Needing help is certainly not a bad thing. A lot of people need help and a good society makes sure everyone can get help, but this certainly isn't something someone needs help with.
He needs help if this happens all the time, but this happened just once and it's an incredibly minor incident which is big because it's a famous person.

If this is enough for people to get help than 95% of the people will need help lol.

Them knocking at his door for three hours means he went to sleep 8:40 a Saturday evening with a family next to his hotel room.

I'd expect quietness 00:00. It's Saturday.

I don't defend knocking nor filming.

Hotel noise regulations normally start at 22h00, from my experience. Nevertheless, common sense should prevail. Even if 22h00 or 00h00 is the strict noise cut-off time, there shouldn't be animal-like loud screams or random banging in other peoples doors at any time of the day.

Maybe i'm not the norm in hotels and likes, but even in hostels, when I'm on a shared room with someone and I notice they are asleep during the day, I have the care to minimize the amount of sound I make and the lights I turn on. After all, everyone has their reasons to go to bed early, sleep during the day, etc., and if someone wants to have carefree entertainment the common areas exist for that.

@Elos Anjos Since you think I'm not talking out of experience: you can accuse me of something accurate, like being a know-it-all or a pain, loser or whatever other more fitting insult. But a "noob in life" is just not very accurate.

Any more news?

I keep wondering about adrenaline levels in some riders. I mean chemically/physically/psychiatric.

As someone with ADHD I don't believe in the the ability of everyone to control rage in the heat of the moment. Sometimes you just gotta be smart and know there are situations you cannot handle and plan accordingly in advance.

Yeah I believe knowing how to act with ADHD should be similar to being an elite athlete with ultra high adrenaline levels. Maybe wrong but if you are aware you might hit people when too stressed out you should simply avoid being around people when stressed out. Like literally. Kids especially.
Imagine you're a teenage gals with a libido and there's a seriously hot and famous guy at the hotel. Your brain ain't developed, your hormones are raging.

You're too old to be kept by parents and too young to know what you're doing. And out comes this guy with a rage fit. I'd be traumatized for sure.

They should know what they're doing, he should know what he's doing, the team management should have booked a better hotel etc etc etc, but the world aint built up by people that knows what they're doing. And I'd probably mess up myself if I was either of them. Most people probably would.

Last edited:
Apparently, Dutch journalists have been in contact with the older sister of the girls who played knock-and-run and she sent them the videos with consent of the parents. (https://www.hln.be/wk-wielrennen/ti...u-van-der-poel-je-hebt-ons-bedreigd~adc33b17/)

Interesting parts in the story:

• They didn't know there was a WC cycling, they were on vacation and had no idea who VDP was.
  • The girls were in one room with the parents in the other room. The parents thought the girls were watching a horror movie but the older sister was in the bathroom while the younger sisters were playing knock-and-run. According to the older sister, the younger sisters frequently play knock-and-run in hotels and the parents know about that.
  • Before the knock-and-run which is on video and shows VDP chasing the girls into their room, they already played knock-and-run on his door multiple times that evening and even in the afternoon (according to VDP).
  • According to the older sister, the parents don't care much about what the girls did but they are mad at VDP and think he got off too easily with a fine.
  • The oldest sister feels somewhat bad that VDP had to miss a night's sleep for such an important race over this but her younger sister apparently doesn't care.

TRENDING THREADS