• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 179 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Wout hadn't caught Covid this spring, he would have wiped the floor with MvdP at RVV this year. Wout is a happy family man and trains smart...this has allowed him to pull ahead of MvdP.
And if MVDP didn't have the back issue he would've destroyed Wout in CX, and won SB, MSR, RVV, PR, etc...Sorry, but Wout has not shot against MVDP at RVV when both are 100%. That's pretty much been proven by the results. 2019, not even close. 2020, close. 2021 Wout dropped. 2022, my guess is Wout is dropped on the Paterberg and maybe comes 2nd or 3rd after MVDP/Pog let the followers back in the race in the finale. But no way in hell he outsprints MVDP.

Last edited:
And "if ifs and buts were candies and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas". Just want to see MVDP completely healthy and let it roll from there. His team/sponsors need to let him use the GT's as he sees fit for his main one day goals - win early stages and get out. For example, if they need him to do the TDF this year, win the first stage and yellow for a day or two and get out to be ready for the WC's.

Reactions: Sandisfan
And if MVDP didn't have the back issue he would've destroyed Wout in CX, and won SB, MSR, RVV, PR, etc...Sorry, but Wout has not shot against MVDP at RVV when both are 100%. That's pretty much been proven by the results. 2019, not even close. 2020, close. 2021 Wout dropped. 2022, my guess is Wout is dropped on the Paterberg and maybe comes 2nd or 3rd after MVDP/Pog let the followers back in the race in the finale. But no way in hell he outsprints MVDP.

Oh God...

He's now blonde.

Mathieu van der Poel accidentally goes blond as cyclocross debut nears

Fhwn_OTWQAYgoDe

Just seen the official schedule:

27.11 - Hulst World Cup
03.12 - Boom Superprestige
04.12 - Antwerpen World Cup
17.12 - Val di Sole World Cup
23.12 - Mol Exact Cross
26.12 - Gavere World Cup
27.12 - Heusden-Zolder Superprestige
28.12 - Diegem Superprestige
30.12 - Loenhout Exact Cross
03.01 - Herentals X2O Trofee
05.01 - Koksijde X2O Trofee
08.01 - Zonhoven World Cup
22.01 - Benidorm World Cup
TBD 28.01/29.01 (Hamme/Besançon/Rest)
05.02 Hoogerheide WCH

Will face WVA in Antwerpen, Essen, Gavere, Heusden-Zolder, Diegem, Loenhout and probably in Herentals, Koksijde, Zonhoven, Benidorm and Hoogerheide.

Is this wins of against first Pidcock and secondly van Aert?

He starts his cx campaign with the Hulst WC this weekend.
Yes. Head to head vs. those two. Outside of the odd tractor pull, (WVA has the advantage there), MVDP is on a different level. They can't match his explosiveness or his ability to carry that speed in and out of corners and through technical sections. Hence the massive h2h advantage over a very large sample size. Obviously, Piddy is a lot younger, but no way he ever reaches MVDP's top level in CX.

He looked good, sure, but I’m gonna reserve judgement until wout gets back.
Unless Wout is on JV's special TDF program (which I highly doubt during the CX season other than maybe for Worlds), I don't see him doing much better against MVDP than he has in the past. He'll beat him when on days where MVDP has worse mech luck and at tractor pulls. Other than that, he just can't match MVDP's pace and bike control.

Unless Wout is on JV's special TDF program (which I highly doubt during the CX season other than maybe for Worlds), I don't see him doing much better against MVDP than he has in the past. He'll beat him when on days where MVDP has worse mech luck and at tractor pulls. Other than that, he just can't match MVDP's pace and bike control.

What is Jumbo's special TDF program, specifically?

I'm not sure, if both are at 100%, MVDP always wins, but I wouldn't be surprised that WVA is already in a better form than MVDP. I didn't find MVDP that convincing on Sunday.

TRENDING THREADS