• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 180 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not sure, if both are at 100%, MVDP always wins, but I wouldn't be surprised that WVA is already in a better form than MVDP. I didn't find MVDP that convincing on Sunday.

He was without a doubt a bit rusty - went down at least three times on smaller mistakes combined with full race speed. That will probably not happen in later races. Power and endurance looked to be more than adequate but as you say we can only know when WVA is in the same race, but my take is that it looks very good for MVDP.

Reactions: Berniece
He was without a doubt a bit rusty - went down at least three times on smaller mistakes combined with full race speed. That will probably not happen in later races. Power and endurance looked to be more than adequate but as you say we can only know when WVA is in the same race, but my take is that it looks very good for MVDP.
Has anyone on this thread considered that Pidcock could have been a little fatigued from racing to a win the day before. Also, at the 2022 Tour de France, we saw a Wout at a level like no other. If Wout brings that level to the CX fields, he will make MvdP push to the max for every win.

Has anyone on this thread considered that Pidcock could have been a little fatigued from racing to a win the day before. Also, at the 2022 Tour de France, we saw a Wout at a level like no other. If Wout brings that level to the CX fields, he will make MvdP push to the max for every win.

Most likely Pidcock was a little tired after his win at Kortrijk but yet I don't think it mattered all that much in relation to Van der Poel. Mathieu on the other hand could probably hold back a little bit. That's not going to work when Wout is in the race. Then it is max effort or else...

If our guesses are right then next races will be about the B3 again and possibly Vanthourenhout, Van der Haar , Sweeck or Iserbyt can make it to the podium if they have one of their best days or there are mechanical mishaps.

Wout always caries some extra weight throughout the winter. Also his TDF peak has been the very top of his form curve for 4 years now. Even better than his "classics" form. You won't easily see "that" Van Aert in the winter.

Reactions: stonerider
I hope he got that wheel fixed first.
He took an alternative route home.

squarewheelbike646.jpg

Reading what the lawyer said it sounds like they went with the time already served in losing out on a chance at Worlds victory.

“Mr Bowe said the impact of the incident on his client's life and career had been punishment enough.

"I ran the argument on the basis of the loss to Mathieu — he had one opportunity in his life to win the world championships and he'd lost that opportunity," he said.

"He'd trained for that opportunity, he'd let his country down, he'd let his team down … and he'd shown genuine contrition after the event.

"There were substantial losses [to him].”

Reactions: Sandisfan
In lieu of the convictions Van der Poel was sentenced to a 12-month conditional release order.
He is not to commit any offence while subject to the order and must appear before the court if called upon at any time during the year.

Sounds very odd if they can impose a sentence, even something even weaker than a suspended sentence, and call his release conditional if the convictions have been quashed. And equally odd that he can have the conviction quashed after pleading guilty.

This looks like anywhere else it would be described as a successful appeal against the sentence.

TRENDING THREADS