• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 286 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A bit unclear but it seems like the 2021 version was 184 km with 3072 alt mtrs. This year’s SB was longer and with more am.
Seems like MVDP gets a lot of his explosiveness on short climbs from his core and upper body strength. Watch his attack at the WC's and compare the visual vs. Pogi, Wout and Pedersen. Looks like he is using his whole body to generate an insane amount of torque, whereas it's all lower body with the other guys. Just stick to piling up RVV's, PR's, CX's WC's and get some more MTB World Cups wins and forget about the longer climb stuff.

Seems like MVDP gets a lot of his explosiveness on short climbs from his core and upper body strength. Watch his attack at the WC's and compare the visual vs. Pogi, Wout and Pedersen. Looks like he is using his whole body to generate an insane amount of torque, whereas it's all lower body with the other guys. Just stick to piling up RVV's, PR's, CX's WC's and get some more MTB World Cups wins and forget about the longer climb stuff.
And that's why his back injury was so worrisome. You can see, as you note, how he torques his whole upper body. It would be like Mauri Vansevenant getting a neck injury...

But he apparently is doing a lot of core work now, so long as he keeps it up, he should have few problems. (I have a bulging disc and have to do the same, tho I'm old and slow anyway...)

And that's why his back injury was so worrisome. You can see, as you note, how he torques his whole upper body. It would be like Mauri Vansevenant getting a neck injury...

But he apparently is doing a lot of core work now, so long as he keeps it up, he should have few problems. (I have a bulging disc and have to do the same, tho I'm old and slow anyway...)
So true. It sucked watching him try to race when his back was bad. Seemed like he might be going down the same path as Tiger Woods when his back (and to a lesser extent his knees) started to go on him - at least partially because of how aggressive his swing was.

Reactions: Sandisfan