• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The new helmets

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
online-rider said:
Really?, i dont remember any.

But this case was more for promotion than for an aero concept.

scaled.php

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
WillemS said:
People don't like change; you'll get used to them. I actually don't mind them that much, the helmets are not that ugly to look at. If there is no better reason to ban them than that narrow, conservative thing called taste, then I would not ban them. Opinions change.

About the increase in performance, all little bits help. Alone, most of the innovations in gear do not add that much efficiency, but taken together they can make that noticeable difference you're looking for.

+1
I don't mind them, if the rider wants to use them who cares.

All helmets look ridiculous. If they feel more comfortable with these helmets then go ahead. They are the ones who have to wear them for 6 hours a day. Cycling glasses have never look cool on anyone either but they are there for a reason. I really can't be that bothered about it tbh.

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Losing most of your body heat through your head is an urban legend. Its simply not true. Here's a story referencing it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7789302.stm

Personally my head is always overheating no matter the temperature. The only exception being a cold rain. The covers would probably be good to have in a cold rain.

So far as the aerodynamics goes, I'm sure it adds something. Given that the vents are only there to keep the rider cool, if a rider wants to cover the vents then its their prerogative. I'm pretty sure that overheating is much more detrimental to performance than the slim aero advantage would give back so its not a hazard to the riders due to misuse.

Martin318is said:
On the track the ventlesss helmet is a bit of an aero thing but the reason that the covers were created for helmets on the road is weather - not aero. Given how much heat the body loses through the top of the head, covering the vents on the sub 5C or seriously rainy days makes sense. Lots of riders in colder areas used to do things like hats or plastic bags under the helmet. Its only later that people got on the aero advantage idea about them.

If you were a rider and wearing one of those covers solely for aero effect, wouldn't you want it to be completly smooth rather than following the pattern of the vents underneath?

That said, they are ugly but not as bad as skinsuits in road races.

Libertine Seguros said:
Maybe Flecha's just a better bike rider than them.

Flecha's a flahute. The others just aren't man enough to handle the cold on their tender domes. Can they really believe that it is such an aero advantage or are they worn to protect against the cold? I'd imagine with the minimal ventilation that one's head would get quite sweaty. What happened to skullies and balaclavas?

Fatclimber said:
Geez, who cares. If you don't like those, how do you feel about tt helmets? Anyway there's a distinct purpose for them. They probably save three billionths of a watt. That amounts to the width of a derailleur cable strand over 250k. What would you say if your favorite rider lost by that much?

I'd say he should have trained harder.;)

Wraith Rider said:
Yes, but that was before the lightweight plastic shell was introduced to keep the beer cooler foam from shattering in a dozen pieces. Once they figured that out, covers were a thing of the past.

They still sell goretex helmet covers. I don't recall seeing the pro's wear them but Louis Garneau and Gore do sell them.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
dolophonic said:
They do look a bit OTT. Wearing one with a cap underneath is overkill.

Just a way to get people to spend their $

It's not overkill if it's raining, the cap keeps rain away from your eyes and face.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Cap under helmet, no glasses = hard

The aero covers do look rubbish, as do skinsuits, but we are ignoring the elephant in the room - white shorts.

they really should be an arrestable offence.

I wonder why Cav is not getting picked up for his black shorts? I find it hard to believe UCI would exercise discretion on grounds of taste, but maybe there is hope?

Greipel's kit looks mint in that pic - the lid really does look like an afterthought

On that note: Anyone else finding it much easier to tell the teams apart this year - all the black, white and light blue kits last year I found a real pain - this year there is a lot more distinctiveness and some really nice kits.

Winterfold said:
I wonder why Cav is not getting picked up for his black shorts? I find it hard to believe UCI would exercise discretion on grounds of taste, but maybe there is hope?

The world champion may choose between regular team issue shorts, or custom-made shorts with rainbow bands. And these apparently have to be white (they weren't when Evans was world champion, but I guess the UCI closed a loophole there).
Cavendish himself said that he'd rather wear the normal, black Team Sky shorts (without rainbow bands) than having to wear white shorts in order to have rainbow bands on them.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well I guess if its cold it would be suitable, but in the past years I've been thinking up a way of getting small fans in my helmet to help cooling in the summer... :confused: