• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The next great American rider.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Most of the current American Pro Tour riders are at or near their retirement age. Who will take their place in the peleton. There are a few really good riders making their way through the ranks. Do you think any of them have a chance at winning the Tour?

Short list of potential riders. Tejay Van Gardener (Columbia HTC), Peter Stetina(Garmin-Slipstream), Taylor Phinney(Livestrong), Ben King(Livestrong?)

You do know there are more races on the cycling calender other than the Tour? I guess i'm just saying the Tour maybe a bit ambitious. Maybe start slightly smaller with week long stage race or smaller stage races, etc

Even though i don't know much about the young guys coming through the ranks in American cycling, i believe in the next 5-10 years America will atleast develop some riders that can hold their own and possible challenge for overalls in stage races. Whether that be GTs or week long stage races or just multi-day races i'm not sure. But being a good cycling nation i am sure they will find someone.

I think Phinney has amazing talent and capacity, and it's going to be a question of how his capacity is moulded onto the road. Unfortunately the only think i can't see him doing is be a GT rider, he's simply too big, but he could be turned into a very good Cancellara/Hincapie type jack-of-all-trades.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think every one you mentioned will show well in the pro ranks in Europe. I have my eye on Ben King especially. I have a soft spot for him...don't know why. But I think there are some good young riders coming up...also, don't overlook the juniors that are coming up...they are riding very well on the international stage.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Alex Howes

I am suprised nobody has mentioned Alex Howes. Doubles at U23 Nationals and wins the queen stage, kom and 4th overall in Tour of Utah. He also impressed at the US PRO Championships.

I also think that Chris Barton (BMC) and another (North) American rider David Veilleux (Kelly Benefits/Can) will be strong classic/tt riders in the future.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I think Phinney has amazing talent and capacity, and it's going to be a question of how his capacity is moulded onto the road. Unfortunately the only think i can't see him doing is be a GT rider, he's simply too big, but he could be turned into a very good Cancellara/Hincapie type jack-of-all-trades.
I remember when they said that about a certain Spaniard. His name was Miguel Indurain. It was always my impression that Phinney is more lankey than big. He seems to have his mother's build, more than his father. I'm not putting the maillot jaune on his shoulders just yet, but I'm not counting him out either.

I am a huge Phinney Phan. His old man was one of my favorites back in the day. He took Colorado crit style to the Continent, and won.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Taylor P.

Awesome talent.Taylor doesn't have constitution to put up with negative riding conditions of European road. I don't know how Farrar is so tough and consistent but the young Americans need to watch and learn from Farrar.

flicker said:
Awesome talent.Taylor doesn't have constitution to put up with negative riding conditions of European road. I don't know how Farrar is so tough and consistent but the young Americans need to watch and learn from Farrar.

Didn't he win the U23-edition of Paris-Roubaix, the poster child of "negative riding condition of Europe," or whatever that last part is supposed to mean.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

Farrar lives and trains in and around Ghent as opposed to Girona, Spain with the rest of the notable American riders from Garmin and Columbia.

As someone else noted Taylor won the U-23 PR and clearly does have the stuff to compete in Europe. I have my doubts that he'll be a GT overall contender but you never know.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I think Stetina has a future. I'm not a huge Garmin fan (to close to home) and I think he would be better served on Columbia, who seem to be good at developing talent. He looked solid at Gila, nearly beat Levi on stage 1, and beat several very good riders.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lance Armstrong...

...who will transmogrify the sport into something you've never seen before.

...while you silly Euros squabble over stupid stuff while poorly funding the sport.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Taylor P.

Hey I didn't know T's based in Ghent. I just read his blogs and he is always complaining about being sick. I think he was sick when he crashed at tour of ute. He complains about jet lag and he does sound to me like he misses home.
Sounds like a healthy kid but hey if you think he can live out of a suitcase and ride crushing ugly European races away from the good old USA we will see Moondance.
I do not fault his accomplishments he has acheived much and makes it look easy in such an elite cutthroat pro sport. Mononucleosis and broncitis is just around the corner for all those pros.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
bikenrunnwt said:
I am suprised nobody has mentioned Alex Howes. Doubles at U23 Nationals and wins the queen stage, kom and 4th overall in Tour of Utah. He also impressed at the US PRO Championships.

I also think that Chris Barton (BMC) and another (North) American rider David Veilleux (Kelly Benefits/Can) will be strong classic/tt riders in the future.

Alex Howes has shown great promise. I'm not that familiar with Chris Barton, he is in a great program at BMC. David Veilleux is most likely destined for a great career in the states.
I'm also looking forward to seeing some of the new riders on the Livestrong team.