• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
jaylew said:
El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
Escarabajo said:
I don't like that he is being hyped so much. Mentality is the other part of the equation. Let's hope for the best that this Kid can win something big one day. :)
Can't escape the hype by now. Will win Route du Sud and Vuelta a Burgos next year at Movistar and a stage at a WT-stage race and domestique in his first GT in the Vuelta. Ring any bells? ;)
Sounds like wheelsucker results to me.
:rolleyes: Ugh, why are you always so negative? So, Nairo is on your s**tlist too? What on earth do those results have to do with that? It's such a stupid term to throw around in a sport that's defined by it.
Especially when he won that Route du Sud by attacking and dragging everybody around from 60k+ to go before finishing solo.

Pisti will inevitably go on about the poor quality field in order to justify an opinion that Nairo has never won a real solo, so still always follows wheels, though (Martello doesn't count because of the red flags and Formigal doesn't count because of Brambilla not being dropped even though Quintana pulled the whole way up the climb, Neila doesn't count because it's only a prep race, Le Semnoz doesn't count because Froome let him go, and Terminillo doesn't count because it was snowy and Monte Grappa doesn't count because everybody was upset because of Martello and cried so Quintana out-climbing them without a wheel to suck anywhere in sight doesn't count, and Lagos de Covadonga doesn't count because... well, I'm sure he'll think of something...).
Well, it is pretty easy to ride alone when you have riders up the road from an early break that you can aim for as checkpoints ;)
 
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
jaylew said:
El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
Escarabajo said:
I don't like that he is being hyped so much. Mentality is the other part of the equation. Let's hope for the best that this Kid can win something big one day. :)
Can't escape the hype by now. Will win Route du Sud and Vuelta a Burgos next year at Movistar and a stage at a WT-stage race and domestique in his first GT in the Vuelta. Ring any bells? ;)
Sounds like wheelsucker results to me.
:rolleyes: Ugh, why are you always so negative? So, Nairo is on your s**tlist too? What on earth do those results have to do with that? It's such a stupid term to throw around in a sport that's defined by it.
Especially when he won that Route du Sud by attacking and dragging everybody around from 60k+ to go before finishing solo.

Pisti will inevitably go on about the poor quality field in order to justify an opinion that Nairo has never won a real solo, so still always follows wheels, though (Martello doesn't count because of the red flags and Formigal doesn't count because of Brambilla not being dropped even though Quintana pulled the whole way up the climb, Neila doesn't count because it's only a prep race, Le Semnoz doesn't count because Froome let him go, and Terminillo doesn't count because it was snowy and Monte Grappa doesn't count because everybody was upset because of Martello and cried so Quintana out-climbing them without a wheel to suck anywhere in sight doesn't count, and Lagos de Covadonga doesn't count because... well, I'm sure he'll think of something...).
Best post I read all day. Lol. :lol: :lol:
 
May 31, 2015
473
0
0
Re:

Ricco' said:
If he is indeed with Acquadro, Sky (and to a lesser extent Movistar) are definitely the biggest possibilties.
Unzue is in general on good terms with Acquadro and Acquadro has also a lot of clients with Movistar among others Amador, Castroviejo, Izagirre, Betancur and the Quintana brothers.
 
Re: Re:

Moviestar said:
Ricco' said:
If he is indeed with Acquadro, Sky (and to a lesser extent Movistar) are definitely the biggest possibilties.
Unzue is in general on good terms with Acquadro and Acquadro has also a lot of clients with Movistar among others Amador, Castroviejo, Izagirre, Betancur and the Quintana brothers.
Yes, I know.

Same happens with Sky (Kwiatkowski, Henao, Nieve, Kiryienka, Siutsou, Uran, Golas, David Lopez, Zandio, Appollonio, Puccio)
 
We want to see him go to a team where there is a bigger need for young talent and that's why we want him to go to Bahrain.

The reality is that for a Colombian young rider like him in need of development the best time is Movistar. They not only have the most Colombians in the Pro-Tour, but they also have a Continental team in South America based in Colombia. He can even train with his bodies in Colombia and being close to home. They have the tools and support close by. It will be easy for them to send technical support to Colombia if needed. They have Nairo there. If given the choice to him it will be a no brainer. He can later leave the team if he has to for any reason. But at this stage it would be difficult for him to go to a different team.

IMHO. :)
 
Jul 4, 2015
417
0
0
Re:

DNP-Old said:
Signed with Team Sky according to La Gazzetta.
Good choice, Movistar already have Quintana for years to come, with froome ageing, I don't see any rider on the team now taking over once he's done, so if he steps up as expected he could be leading the strongest team within 2-3 years, in the meantime he gets to learn from some of the best and is in a team with lots of Spanish speakers.
 
Apr 6, 2015
556
0
3,580
Terrible choice in my opinion. I can't really fault him though. For many cyclists from Colombia, Sky money would be very tempting. I don't know if that was the case here, but it was probably a significant factor.
 
Re:

AlexNYC said:
Terrible choice in my opinion. I can't really fault him though. For many cyclists from Colombia, Sky money would be very tempting. I don't know if that was the case here, but it was probably a significant factor.
He has said himself he would make his choice based on personal development and growth, rather than cash.
 
Jul 4, 2015
417
0
0
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Is Sky going to make him a leader of the Tour? Never, I don't think so. So this is probably a stepping position for Egan. He can have his glory on the lesser races and Sky don't mind.
If he's good enough I think sky will give him leadership, I don't think sky will recruit a young rider just to develop him and let him go. The only reason they would let him go is if he doesn't reach the heights expected or a young British rider develops into a potential tour winner in which case they probably would prioritize him.
 
Jul 4, 2015
417
0
0
Re:

portugal11 said:
You're a dead man to me, bernal... why sky???
Strong team lots of experience , great riders for him to learn from , lots of Spanish speaking riders.... I actually think it was the best choice but only time will tell I guess.
 
I just don't get it. Look at Sky's roster. Why do young riders think it's the best option to go to sky? Money? Okay, I'd be fine with that, completely understandable, but if money is your reason then say it ffs. Let's say Bernal will ride for Sky, in which case will he ever lead the team? Because Froome is the leader, and if there is no Froome they also have Thomas, and if there is no Thomas they also have Landa, and if there is no Landa, they also have Poels and if there is no Poels they also have Henao. And even after that there are riders in this team who are better climbers than Bernal right now but I don't want to mention them as leaders because I don't think I've ever seen them leading this team.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS