The Official Oleg Tinkov thread.

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tinkov serves as yet another example of why pro riders need to form a union. I could be wrong, but I can't think of another pro sports league where the players do not have collective bargaining rights. Riders need to step up to the likes of Tinkov.
 
the delgados said:
Tinkov serves as yet another example of why pro riders need to form a union. I could be wrong, but I can't think of another pro sports league where the players do not have collective bargaining rights. Riders need to step up to the likes of Tinkov.
Step up to the likes that are sponsoring and providing salaries?

Huh?
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
the delgados said:
Tinkov serves as yet another example of why pro riders need to form a union. I could be wrong, but I can't think of another pro sports league where the players do not have collective bargaining rights. Riders need to step up to the likes of Tinkov.
They need to step up to more money coming to the sport. It is dangerous and could lead to them getting paid more.
 
thehog said:
Step up to the likes that are sponsoring and providing salaries?

Huh?
Step up to likes likes of those like Tinkov who treat riders like a bunch of circus monkeys.
This idea of his is absurd on so many levels--risk of injury and temptation to ramp up the "recovery techniques" are two that immediately come to mind. But what about the domestiques who will be expected to ride just one more in support of their captain? What do they get out of it?
 
the delgados said:
Step up to likes likes of those like Tinkov who treat riders like a bunch of circus monkeys.
This idea of his is absurd on so many levels--risk of injury and temptation to ramp up the "recovery techniques" are two that immediately come to mind. But what about the domestiques who will be expected to ride just one more in support of their captain? What do they get out of it?
I agree ...riders don't ride a GT alone...they need their best doms with them if they have chance of wining....so they will all have to ride 3 GTs and thus not be any good for following stage races/one day races ??? As will none of the top GC guys...

Also we know the top 4 at present but that is based on riding one GT in peak form...maybe (2?) But if you had to ride 3 to win a rider with less punch and more stamina would come to the fore especially later on....So you would need all the top 10 to ride to make it more realistic

What about all the young riders (besides Quintana) ...when do they get a look in....Maybe they could ride one...the last one ?? and thus be so much fresher and could potentially beat the top 4

And what about the potential for more injuries as riders get tired and the possibility of burn out?

Let riders and team decide waht they want to race based on their form, the route , their priorities , etc...It works fine so far and it keeps us interested and guessing plus it does not put riders under so much strain....they are athletes not slaves
 
Microchip said:
That's a novel idea. He's creating a guarantee for a massive audience. Both for television and roadside.
Finally someone who's got it. It's not like everyone needs to (or indeed are willing) accepts Olegs offer, he is calculating with it, but there are people screaming already for a general strike.

;)
 
Arnout said:
Why? It's him who has to do the riding.

And like €250,000 is a big difference for him.
A couple of reasons: (1) it wasn't like Contador threw down a guantlet; Oleg did and (2) does he REALLY want to get into a back and forth with an ego-manic like Oleg?

That's just my $0.02, your mileage obviously may differ.
 
In the last two years, Contador has ridden for 65 or 66 racing days. I would be curious to see a proposed race calendar for the triple GT challenge. Without prep races, you would already be at 60. I would assume that there would be no racing days in between the three GTs.
 
djpbaltimore said:
In the last two years, Contador has ridden for 65 or 66 racing days. I would be curious to see a proposed race calendar for the triple GT challenge. Without prep races, you would already be at 60. I would assume that there would be no racing days in between the three GTs.
He would have had 75 this year had he not crashed out at the Tour fwiw

I guess
Tirreno
Pais Vasco
Giro
(Spanish Nats)
Tour
Vuelta

That would be 76 race days or 78 including the Spanish Nationals
 
Jun 5, 2014
883
0
0
Netserk said:
My guess:

Algarve
Catalunya
Castilla y Leon or País Vasco
Giro
Route du Sud, nationals or nothing.
Tour
(Vuelta)
I don't think he is gonna ride something in between Giro and Tour. Nationals maximum. Certainly not more than a one day race.

I think he is gonna start the season late, in Tirreno - Adriatico.

Tirreno + Catalunya + Pais Vasco

Or: Tirreno + Pais Vasco + Trentino
given that Catalunya and Tirreno are very close and there is 1 month break until the Giro starts. The second option includes more evenly distributed races, with Trentino 2 weeks before the Giro to check the form.

3rd option Tirreno + Catalunya + Tirreno
The thing with Tirreno + Catalunya is that Contador said this year he was very tired in Catalunya, just coming off Tirreno.
 
LaFlorecita said:
He would have had 75 this year had he not crashed out at the Tour fwiw

I guess
Tirreno
Pais Vasco
Giro
(Spanish Nats)
Tour
Vuelta

That would be 76 race days or 78 including the Spanish Nationals
He always says he is going to ride the Vuelta beforehand but the times he finished the Tour he almost always stopped his season after that.
 
My guess :
Tirreno
MSR (if the weather is good)
Altitude training
Trentino
LBL
Giro
rest + Nationals or Route du Sud
TdF

If the weather is good I think he will ride Algarve as well.Milano-San Remo for tifosi.Contador can mantain an incredible level all year so I don't think he will rest till the Giro.Also next year Giro doesn't have big transfers and he will not face the best competition.I think Aru,Purito and Betancur(if he will not have 127 kilo's) will be his biggest rivals.Probably,Uran and Kelderman will ride TdF.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY