• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The one and only official job/school thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
The Hitch said:
21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.
You lucky ******* - you went to the Oratory. Try to be a bit more grateful for the chance you've been given.
 
May 27, 2010
5,261
0
0
Taking my GCE O levels this year:(

and then GCE A levels two years after that:(

and then two years of compulsory national service in the army:(

and finally I can live the life in university:)
Oh man I'm gonna watch so much cycling after being in a mental prison for that past few years.
 
May 27, 2010
5,261
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
You lucky ******* - you went to the Oratory. Try to be a bit more grateful for the chance you've been given.
He seems to have lived such a sad childhood, wtf is there to be grateful for.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
dlwssonic said:
He seems to have lived such a sad childhood, wtf is there to be grateful for.
No, he's being a drama queen. I know plenty of Oratorians who had a good time.

Most central London comprehensives are life ruiningly dog ****. Academic standards that would make a bright 8 year old blush.

He got a free, excellent education when he could easily have ended up in somewhere useless and had no hope for a decent future.
 
May 27, 2010
5,261
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
No, he's being a drama queen. I know plenty of Oratorians who had a good time.

Most central London comprehensives are life ruiningly dog ****. Academic standards that would make a bright 8 year old blush.

He got a free, excellent education when he could easily have ended up in somewhere useless and had no hope for a decent future.
lol you calling him a drama queen reminds me of what ryo said before he got ban.
But the main point is, he had a a sad life, what does all those academic education mean if you can't live a proper childhood.
That's exactly what's wrong with my country's education system now.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
Forgive me if my heart does not bleed for children who do not know what is best for them. I reservered particular lol for you, complaining about O-levels and A-levels. Some of the easiest years of your life.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
You sound like a bitter old man.
I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.
 
Waterloo Sunrise said:
I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.
Indeed... high school was the easy life. I never liked it back then, but looking back those years were great.
 
Feb 17, 2012
2,663
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.
This would sound so much better if you actually weren't only just 25.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
DominicDecoco said:
This would sound so much better if you actually weren't only just 25.
Well, I do look forward to sitting in my club aged 75 railing against the youth of today.

I enjoy my job and my life, but I don't kid myself that school and Uni were actually very sweet deals. I know teenagers are shot full of hormones so its difficult to expect them to make reasonable assessments of their situation, but its still annoying to hear so much self-pity about 1st world 'problems'.
 
May 27, 2010
5,261
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Forgive me if my heart does not bleed for children who do not know what is best for them. I reservered particular lol for you, complaining about O-levels and A-levels. Some of the easiest years of your life.
Maybe in england it's not that hard for you.
Here where I am there is so much stress involved in the O and A levels.
reminder to you we take the GCE not the GSCE.
GCE is the harder version for countries like malaysia and singapore.
There is so much competition involved to get positions in good colleges and universities. Everyone here is stressed up and working their asses off.
I guess you will just never understand how hard is it in some countries.

even the older generation realise how stressful our education is.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
I would have loved harder exams. The joke ones we sat meant it was difficult to demonstrate superiority.

When you have a fixed number of students, and a fixed number of good University places, the scale on the ruler is not terribly relevant (O&A levels are only meaningful for University access, nobody cares about them in the long term).
 
The Hitch said:
21st century London. It was a school with a strong Catholic tradition - set up by some saint or something, and for this reason Tony Blair when he wanted to show he was with the Catholicism (his wife is Catholic, he was a protestant) chose to send his kids there and then half the kids in london wanted to go there and it was 10-1 to get in.

Not on ability though, the main criteria was to prove you knew the Catholic prayers and get signed documents from priests that you go to church every day :rolleyes:

So yeah it was a bit extreme for these reasons.
If it was so bad, i would've made sure to get kicked out if there i would've known a better alternative. It would have been easy to get kicked out i guess, just burn a bible in class or something:rolleyes:
 
Waterloo Sunrise said:
You lucky ******* - you went to the Oratory. Try to be a bit more grateful for the chance you've been given.
Oratory education standards dropped since your years.

As for the chance, pfff, yeah you are right if i ended up in 1 of the low quality chav schools where you get beaten up for your lunch money by 11 year olds completing their initiation into London street gangs then yes life would have been different.

But the other schools i (and people from my background) got accepted for were of similar quality to Oratory, only without the idiotic victorian rules system.


I'm 25 - I just think lots of teenagers are depressingly stupid and self-pitying. I do not include any specific individuals in that, but really, people who think school is a tough haul are going to have a horrible shock when they actually have to work for a living.
You are forgetting that teenagers often, even though they seem to have a more comfortable life, are very likely to get depressed.

Most 11-18 year olds find school life grim enough, especially when, with transport taken into account, its 6pm before you get home to start the marathon homework exercises.

And especially when the basic pleasures of a school day- crushes on the other sex and exercise at break times, are denied to them,

Maybe these things dont mean much to you and maybe you enjoyed the lack of girls around at school during puberty I don't know, but for many people, something to look forward to the day is essential, and many men will take the riggers of day to day work with the freedom it carries, without a whimper to escape the day to day sentence that the British Education system offers in its hands.

Dekket T said:
Indeed... high school was the easy life. I never liked it back then, but looking back those years were great.
People generally look back with nostalgia at a lot of things. Im not saying that is the case with you but i remember some members of my family when drunk talking about the good old days under communism and how fun it was to cue outside a meat shop with food stamps for the slice of ham that was to get your family through the week.

Red Rick said:
If it was so bad, i would've made sure to get kicked out if there i would've known a better alternative. It would have been easy to get kicked out i guess, just burn a bible in class or something
Forget expelled. These days, if i burnt a bible theyd be sending Condoleeza Rice down to plead with me not to do it again.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Well, I do look forward to sitting in my club aged 75 railing against the youth of today.

I enjoy my job and my life, but I don't kid myself that school and Uni were actually very sweet deals. I know teenagers are shot full of hormones so its difficult to expect them to make reasonable assessments of their situation, but its still annoying to hear so much self-pity about 1st world 'problems'.
Im the first to admit my problems don't compare to what 80% of the world is going through. Its usually my answer when people ask me if i feel sad or something.
 
I have exams (to go to a university, I'm in highschool now) in March and June 2019 so many people start studying from September 2017 (me included) and I've already had two illnesses in 2 weeks. I'm already feeling stressful. :eek: :(
 
I don't really have a job at the moment. Quit university back in January/February (can't remember when precisely) due to being too stressed out about it.
So now I'm attending a form of job training while we try to figure out what kind of job my aspie-brain can handle.
 
Wasn't joking, but I'm aware of that angle that some could find distasteful. Just trying to constructively contribute to solution.
Would take too much space to elaborate, so I'll just say I'm pretty sure the idea can lead to increased level of wellbeing.

I apologise if I've offended RhD or anyone else.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
red_flanders Off Topic DIscussions 7
Similar threads
Photography thread

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts