• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The one and only official job/school thread

So guy's, i'm bored, curious and have nothing better to do, so i'm starting this thread.

What are you doing for the money, or for the education, and why do you like it.

For me, i'm to lazy to get a job (like to waste my time on some forums:D), i'm this year i'm finishing the utter piece of crap that calls itself my highschool:rolleyes:

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Red Rick said:
So guy's, i'm bored, curious and have nothing better to do, so i'm starting this thread.

What are you doing for the money, or for the education, and why do you like it.

For me, i'm to lazy to get a job (like to waste my time on some forums:D), i'm this year i'm finishing the utter piece of crap that calls itself my highschool:rolleyes:

With an attitude like yours, I am sure you will get far in life. Laziness, anti-school. Yep, all admirable qualities.

I am impressed by your skillset. If you want a job I am willing to pay you $20 a week for the immediate future to mow my grass. PM me if you are interested.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I'm not anti-school, I just hate the school i'm going now, i can't wait to go to university next year:cool:

You wrote it was an "utter piece or crap" and you were lazy. My apologies if I misinterpreted but hopefully you can clear this up.

Last time I checked, learning how to read/write, history, math, etc. was not "crap". Is there something particular about your school that requires them to teach a different curriculum than is the norm? Perhaps you live in Kansas, and you aren't buying the cloud buddy version of science. If that is the case, I sympathize with you. Maybe you are defining the school on how good it's football team is. Do you dislike the people going there?

If you can please clear this up for me then I might tell you what I do for a living. Thanks.

I live in Holland, i'm just calling it highschool cause what i'm doing is closest to that. We don't have sports teams here Nah, it's mostly the teacher's, they don't know how to teach, or they don't know the stuff they should be teaching:D, or they are doing stuff that has nothing to do with the curriculum and we don't give a damn about.

I am very motivated for university however. I can't wait. And I lied, i'm not to lazy, i just don't like the jobs that i could get if i wanted a job;)

Now it's your turn:p

I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

It was a catholic nutjob school

Only boys of course. No coed. 7 years of only boys. :rolleyes:

Crappy uniforms of shirts ties and blazers to be warn in hot or cold. Shoes polished and all that.

NO SPORT.

NO RUNNING in playground allowed, not even playing football with a stone which was punishable by detention, no talking in groups of larger than 5.

No mobile phones. Having a mobile phone punished not by detention but by suspension from school for a week:rolleyes:

No visiting shops after school. Teachers posted to shops in the area to make sure no one went in. Detention if caught.

Everyone had to use the assigned train station. Years 1-3 one train station. Years 3-5 another. Teachers posted to train stations to make sure no one is using wrong station.

School lunch mandatory even if it sucked. Moreover to get to lunch 1 had to wait in a long line that got 10 minutes shorter every year. Lines were arranged based on year and then alphabetical order (surname)

No outside food allowed. If school lunch sucked, or if it run out which it sometimes did, you just had to make it through the day hungry. Tough.

If it rained, which it often does in this country we had to sit in class but got punished by detention if we tried to do our homework:rolleyes:

The school did not have the money to buy space for playground cos instead it spent thousands on its own small church and its own hymn books.

If I dig out my old rule book will probably remind myself of a lot more of these idiotic ideas.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
There was a thread like this a long time ago, back when the forum first started I think. I remember I was surprised at seeing how many people were unemployed. Then I thought well I suppose that's why they have so much time to spend in cycling forums. I hope most of them have found new work by now!

I study spanish

Red Rick said:
I am very motivated for university however. I can't wait.
First, I hated high school. I hated it. Most teachers were just trying to get through the day it seemed, and packs of bullies roamed the grounds, and nobody did a damned thing about it. Mercifully I wasn't beaten up or robbed like others were, but I did little more than survive.

I would definitely encourage you to pour as much as you can into university. Find your passion, teachers and friends you can learn from and work with, and study as much as you possibly can. It is not the time to be lazy, at all. Study even to an advanced degree if possible. This is the one thing I do regret. I had an idealistic view of higher education, even at high quality institutions, and when it didn't fit into my box of how things were supposed to be, I was disillusioned and eventually gave up, which hurt me badly as the years went by.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I live in Holland, i'm just calling it highschool cause what i'm doing is closest to that. We don't have sports teams here Nah, it's mostly the teacher's, they don't know how to teach, or they don't know the stuff they should be teaching:D, or they are doing stuff that has nothing to do with the curriculum and we don't give a damn about.

I am very motivated for university however. I can't wait. And I lied, i'm not to lazy, i just don't like the jobs that i could get if i wanted a job;)

Now it's your turn:p

Well you may say things are crap now, whether it be school, job (or lack of), etc. but just you wait till the next step up in life, you'll be flashing back and thinking, man it was pretty damn nice back then. If you are not learning what you should be you won't ever make it to the next step so most likely you are probably having some difficulties with your current subjects and maybe should invest in some tutoring or just get together with classmates (or workmates) to learn off each other (you'll do this the rest of you life, assuming you're sociable).

Unlike you and maybe most people, I enjoyed it all from Kindergarten to now, as its all a learning experience. Sure at first you hate it like eating dirt but eventually things will sink in and yes you'll learn some subjects you may never use later in life but its still good to know about them so you're not duped by some con-man, well you'll still be duped most likely but good to know you were duped or how, as again its a learning experience.

I still brainstorm with some friends on what we want to do when we grow up. Mind you we never consider ourselves grown up, definitely a motley crew but they that's us (or that group). Then again, we ride bikes all over the place so that also factors in. :D Take it from an ex-Professional student stay in school as long as you can, because once you start working, its work.

ElChingon said:
Well you may say things are crap now, whether it be school, job (or lack of), etc. but just you wait till the next step up in life, you'll be flashing back and thinking, man it was pretty damn nice back then. If you are not learning what you should be you won't ever make it to the next step so most likely you are probably having some difficulties with your current subjects and maybe should invest in some tutoring or just get together with classmates (or workmates) to learn off each other (you'll do this the rest of you life, assuming you're sociable).

Unlike you and maybe most people, I enjoyed it all from Kindergarten to now, as its all a learning experience. Sure at first you hate it like eating dirt but eventually things will sink in and yes you'll learn some subjects you may never use later in life but its still good to know about them so you're not duped by some con-man, well you'll still be duped most likely but good to know you were duped or how, as again its a learning experience.

I still brainstorm with some friends on what we want to do when we grow up. Mind you we never consider ourselves grown up, definitely a motley crew but they that's us (or that group). Then again, we ride bikes all over the place so that also factors in. :D Take it from an ex-Professional student stay in school as long as you can, because once you start working, its work.

Styx - sail away

i think of childhood friends
and the dreams we had
we live happily forever
so the story goes

but somehow we missed out
on that pot of gold
but we'll try
the best that we can
to carry on

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

Crappy uniforms of shirts ties and blazers to be warn in hot or cold. Shoes polished and all that.

NO SPORT.

NO RUNNING in playground allowed, not even playing football with a stone which was punishable by detention, no talking in groups of larger than 5.

No mobile phones. Having a mobile phone punished not by detention but by suspension from school for a week:rolleyes:

No visiting shops after school. Teachers posted to shops in the area to make sure no one went in. Detention if caught.

Everyone had to use the assigned train station. Years 1-3 one train station. Years 3-5 another. Teachers posted to train stations to make sure no one is using wrong station.

School lunch mandatory even if it sucked. Moreover to get to lunch 1 had to wait in a long line that got 10 minutes shorter every year. Lines were arranged based on year and then alphabetical order (surname)

No outside food allowed. If school lunch sucked, or if it run out which it sometimes did, you just had to make it through the day hungry. Tough.

If it rained, which it often does in this country we had to sit in class but got punished by detention if we tried to do our homework:rolleyes:

The school did not have the money to buy space for playground cos instead it spent thousands on its own small church and its own hymn books.

If I dig out my old rule book will probably remind myself of a lot more of these idiotic ideas.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

Wow! I didn't know schools as free and liberal as yours existed. ( I did but...) Age 14 to 18....

Classes 6 days a week. 3 hours of study hall a day, except Sunday when it was only 2 hours. Still not enough time to get the school work done Had to keep silence from 9:00 PM to 7:30 AM. More on "special" days. We were allowed visitors on the first Sunday of the month. All in-coming mail was opened and read by "the authorities". Alll out-going mail had to be put in a box un-sealed. The only females allowed to exist were Mothers, Sisters, Grandmothers and Aunts. Any other non-male persons were a one way ticket to hell..... That was the fun side. The place was run by an order of priests from..... can you guess? Holland!

"What does not destroy us... weakens us enough so that the next thing to come along can finish the job."

rickshaw said:
Wow! I didn't know schools as free and liberal as yours existed. ( I did but...) Age 14 to 18....

Classes 6 days a week. 3 hours of study hall a day, except Sunday when it was only 2 hours. Still not enough time to get the school work done Had to keep silence from 9:00 PM to 7:30 AM. More on "special" days. We were allowed visitors on the first Sunday of the month. All in-coming mail was opened and read by "the authorities". Alll out-going mail had to be put in a box un-sealed. The only females allowed to exist were Mothers, Sisters, Grandmothers and Aunts. Any other non-male persons were a one way ticket to hell..... That was the fun side. The place was run by an order of priests from..... can you guess? Holland!

"What does not destroy us... weakens us enough so that the next thing to come along can finish the job."

Yeah you got me beat. way worse. when was this if you don't mind my asking.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

NO SPORT.

rickshaw said:

Wow guys, that sounds terrible. I went to an all boys school too and I felt kind of bitter about it, but it seems like youve have had a far worse experience. But i think the bird once free, flies higher, right ?

online-rider said:
Wow guys, that sounds terrible. I went to an all boys school too and I felt kind of bitter about it, but it seems like youve have had a far worse experience. But i think the bird once free, flies higher, right ?

How old are you people? Didn't realize that all boys school still existed

hrotha said:
Only in three that I can work with. I'm a translator, not a universal dictionary.

You disappoint me!

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm studying Actuarial Science/Insurance maths at the University of Copenhagen and work part-time in a pension/life-insurance company.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

NO SPORT.

Oh Gosh. I can only imagine that in black and white.

Thank god i went to a french secular mixed school.

TRENDING THREADS