• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The one and only official job/school thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
As for my job, I work as a statistician in a Research center on HIV/AIDS in France. But I resigned and going back to Lebanon, my home country to work as a freelance statistician like i used to do before, which suits me much better.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Magnus said:
Bayesian or frequentist ?

I'm rather frequentist. Or at least, in 95% of the times i worked on something, my approach was frequentist. :p
But i'm not rigid, and I think that Bayesian approach could be better in some situations.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
nobilis said:
I'm rather frequentist. Or at least, in 95% of the times i worked on something, my approach was frequentist. :p
But i'm not rigid, and I think that Bayesian approach could be better in some situations.

Me to, pretty much. Except when frequentists get overly pedantic about when you're allowed to talk about the probability of something and when it's deterministic but you just don't know the outcome.

Magnus said:
I'm studying Actuarial Science/Insurance maths at the University of Copenhagen and work part-time in a pension/life-insurance company.

Hello, fellow student! :cool:
I'm at the University of Copenhagen too, but studying a far more interesting (or far more boring, depending on the viewpoint ;) ) subject, archaeology.

The Hitch said:
I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

It was a catholic nutjob school

Only boys of course. No coed. 7 years of only boys. :rolleyes:

Crappy uniforms of shirts ties and blazers to be warn in hot or cold. Shoes polished and all that.

NO SPORT.

NO RUNNING in playground allowed, not even playing football with a stone which was punishable by detention, no talking in groups of larger than 5.

No mobile phones. Having a mobile phone punished not by detention but by suspension from school for a week:rolleyes:

No visiting shops after school. Teachers posted to shops in the area to make sure no one went in. Detention if caught.

Everyone had to use the assigned train station. Years 1-3 one train station. Years 3-5 another. Teachers posted to train stations to make sure no one is using wrong station.

School lunch mandatory even if it sucked. Moreover to get to lunch 1 had to wait in a long line that got 10 minutes shorter every year. Lines were arranged based on year and then alphabetical order (surname)

No outside food allowed. If school lunch sucked, or if it run out which it sometimes did, you just had to make it through the day hungry. Tough.

If it rained, which it often does in this country we had to sit in class but got punished by detention if we tried to do our homework:rolleyes:

The school did not have the money to buy space for playground cos instead it spent thousands on its own small church and its own hymn books.

If I dig out my old rule book will probably remind myself of a lot more of these idiotic ideas.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

You make my school look like heaven, really. I pity you, i'll stop complaining about mine:eek:

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Fus087 said:
Hello, fellow student! :cool:
I'm at the University of Copenhagen too, but studying a far more interesting (or far more boring, depending on the viewpoint ;) ) subject, archaeology.

Well, google seems to agree with you. The first thing that pops up as a search suggestion when you type actuary is 'actuary borring job' :eek:

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
I'm a theology student at the Evangelical Theological Faculty in Leuven.

Not entirely sure what I'll do when I've finished that.

You can become a Godsdienstleerkracht :p

The Hitch said:
I feel your pain. My secondary school (ages 11 - 16 with 17-18 optional, in this country) was the worst experience of my life.

Everytime i vistied a foreign country i felt it had robbed me of my childhood. Feel the same way right now. Hate it as much as when i left nearly 4 years ago.

dude that sounds really really aweful :eek:

Wouldn't that be amusing if Hitch were about 15 years old. :D

Have to say I feel for you. I thought my education was bad. Supertramp's Bloody Well Right ran through my head all the time.

So you think you're schooling is phoney?
I guess it's hard not to agree.
You say it all depends on the money
and who is in your family tree.

Right? Right!

You're Bloody Well Right!

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think there'd be so much interest...

The Hitch said:
Yeah you got me beat. way worse. when was this if you don't mind my asking.

... I graduated about 45 years ago... not dog years, human years. Funny, my wife (then girlfriend) couldn't understand why I never talked in the morning. It took years to break the silence habit. Every morning at 6:15 an alarm loud enough to wake the dead would sound. All things being equal I still wake up about 6:15. Fr. Vanden Bosch was so reactionary he made the German students learn German Script, which I think Hitler did away with in the 1940's. It was more sepia than black and white.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
@Hitch and @Rickshaw you should read Thomas Bernhard's autobiography, there is some powerful stuff about his time at a nazi/catholic boarding school during and after WW2 in Salzburg

Glenn_Wilson said:
Could not be that long ago because hitch mentions mobile phones in his post. :eek:

Could've been something like this:

dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

:p

Just kidding! I don't really think you're a bunch of oldies.
Just somewhat mature in age.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Well you may say things are crap now, whether it be school, job (or lack of), etc. but just you wait till the next step up in life, you'll be flashing back and thinking, man it was pretty damn nice back then. . . . .

Maybe, maybe not. Some folks just never do look back with any pleasant thoughts on the schooling of their teenage years. Some folks pretty much blow off the learning of those years, and do real well in university.

However, blowing off the learning available in those high school, or gymnasium, or whatever you call it in your country - does most frequently delay you getting where ever it is you decide you want to go. Totally blowing it off - as dropping out or not getting to university is very negative in terms of the options you have available in life. But, if you are planning on going to university, you are probably only soft-pedaling what you could do. (Like taking a B instead of an A, or a C instead of a B).

I say all this with hindsight. I attended our 40th high school graduation reunion a few years ago. For me, those years were formative - but it was because of my peer group more than the school. I did have one teacher who is still a friend - but he taught me more about life than he did in the classroom. We were neighbors and he was something of a mentor to me. Most of the other teachers I barely remember.

TRENDING THREADS