• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Other" Colnago frames.

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
OK. So people go on about the C50, EPQ/EPS, C59, and even the M10, but what about the other carbon frames? I abandoned my BMC; BB30 is not worth bothering if you like steel spindle cranks (adapter cups are squeak squeak squeak). The new Race Machine has a more conducive BB design for steel spindles (BB86) but it's in the same price range as something like the CX-1. Any thoughts? Going back to the drawing board here, sigh...

edit: also adapter cups look like $h1t

Parera said:
OK. So people go on about the C50, EPQ/EPS, C59, and even the M10, but what about the other carbon frames? I abandoned my BMC; BB30 is not worth bothering if you like steel spindle cranks (adapter cups are squeak squeak squeak). The new Race Machine has a more conducive BB design for steel spindles (BB86) but it's in the same price range as something like the CX-1. Any thoughts? Going back to the drawing board here, sigh...

edit: also adapter cups look like $h1t

The CX series are decent bikes. Not the best value on paper but capable and more than raceable with a good wheelset and gruppo. If you really want a Colnago do yourself a favour and check out the Master X Light :D

Alternatively you could grab some BB30 compatible cranks....

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
42x16ss said:
The CX series are decent bikes. Not the best value on paper but capable and more than raceable with a good wheelset and gruppo. If you really want a Colnago do yourself a favour and check out the Master X Light :D

Alternatively you could grab some BB30 compatible cranks....

To spare us the philosophical BB standard debate, the BMC is returned. Moving forward...yes, forgot to mention the Master X Light, those are "purty." Anyone know a decent Colnago dealer on the West Coast, somewhere between Portland and the Bay Area?

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
http://www.colnago.com/dealers

Tony at Bicycle Odyssey, great guy.

Think I bought a tube from them when I rode the golden gate a couple years back. Thanks for the info, next time I'm down there will definitely pop in for a chat.

As an aside, as I've been shopping frames (again) I've come to an obvious conclusion:

Most companies are pumping out good stuff these days throughout their lineups. Cyclists are lucky in this regard, having so many equipment options available. Even a giant tcr composite frameset is handsome IMO. Trek still sucks, though. ;)