• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Podium Slam

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

MikeTichondrius said:
Brullnux said:
Froome still isn't in the club though.

Think the allure of the 100th Giro could bring him in next year? I want to see him do his washing machine descent off the Mortirolo.

99%, no. Not at his peak of his powers. Might try something like Evans or Wiggo in their twilight, but he and Nairo will come 100% prepared for the upcoming Tour, especially after this Vuelta.

The criteria is top-10 in all three, with one of them being a podium. Three 10th places ain't enough.

Giro, Tour, Vuelta - Name (non-podium finish in bold) (active riders in bold)

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 2nd, 3rd - Van Springel
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
1st, 6th, 1st - Battaglin
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
4th, 2nd, 3rd - Géminiani
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 7th, 2nd - Pollentier
6th, 3rd, 1st - Vino
5th, 3rd, 2nd - Pérez Francés
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
6th, 3rd, 2nd - Leipheimer
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
4th, 5th, 2nd - Lejarreta
2nd, 2nd, 8th - Ugrumov
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
4th, 3rd, 5th - López Carril
7th, 5th, 1st - Jesús Loroño
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
4th, 3rd, 7th - Pinot
6th, 3rd, 5th - Rumšas
3rd, 10th, 2nd - Fernández Blanco
2nd, 6th, 7th - Casagrande
7th, 5th, 3rd - Criquielion
1st, 10th, 5th - Adorni
8th, 7th, 1st - Gabica
7th, 6th, 3rd - Impanis
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
4th, 10th, 3rd - Van Looy
1st, 7th, 10th - Moser
10th, 8th, 2nd - Muñóz Machín

snccdcno

BANNED
Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Cyivel said:
Out of active riders who have two podiums but aren't on that list as they don't have a top 10 in one grand Tour I can think of Froome, Wiggins and Andy, any others?

So since this post Andy isn't active now and Wiggins barely on the road. So Froome, Chaves and Aru are the only three active riders with two podiums but not the third? (or even a top ten in the third), Samu also but he was left on this list when he had two officially although since it he has actually moved up a place since Menchov's DQ.

Valv.Piti said:
MikeTichondrius said:
Brullnux said:

Think the allure of the 100th Giro could bring him in next year? I want to see him do his washing machine descent off the Mortirolo.

99%, no. Not at his peak of his powers. Might try something like Evans or Wiggo in their twilight, but he and Nairo will come 100% prepared for the upcoming Tour, especially after this Vuelta.
Evans did the Giro in his prime really.

Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:
MikeTichondrius said:
Brullnux said:

Evans did the Giro in his prime really.

True, 2010, but when he realised he couldn't win the Tour. I think. Well, and then he did it the year afterwards which kinda disproves my point. :p

Re:

Netserk said:
The criteria is top-10 in all three, with one of them being a podium. Three 10th places ain't enough.

1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 2nd, 3rd - Van Springel
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
1st, 6th, 1st - Battaglin
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
4th, 2nd, 3rd - Géminiani
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 7th, 2nd - Pollentier
6th, 3rd, 1st - Vino
5th, 3rd, 2nd - Pérez Francés
4th, 5th, 1st - Lejarreta
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
6th, 3rd, 2nd - Leipheimer
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
4th, 3rd, 5th - López Carril
7th, 5th, 1st - Jesús Loroño
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
3rd, 10th, 2nd - Fernández Blanco
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
1st, 7th, 10th - Moser

If the "logic" of the list is followed, then Rumsas is missing.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
If Froome podiums the Giro, that would be really cool. I wonder if the giro organizers won't throw him a bone next year, let's see.

Purito next year maybe he will be a ghost for some team for WT points and go on to win one of them :) somehow, dreams are made like these ;)

Valverde will probably strengthen his place here, nothing surprises me about this guy anymore :)

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I doubt Froome will ever do the Giro until he's done all he wants to with the Tour. If he does the Giro I imagine there'd be a lot of subconscious restraint, saving his legs for the Tour. He'd lose and his legs will still be sore.

Whereas if he aims for the Tour and loses he can still use the Vuelta to rectify the season and he'd have only one GT in his legs, not two.

Dedicated training is way better than training by race too.

Re:

jahn said:
I doubt Froome will ever do the Giro until he's done all he wants to with the Tour. If he does the Giro I imagine there'd be a lot of subconscious restraint, saving his legs for the Tour. He'd lose and his legs will still be sore.

Whereas if he aims for the Tour and loses he can still use the Vuelta to rectify the season and he'd have only one GT in his legs, not two.

There has to be doubts he will do it at all as he has said before he loves riding the Vuelta and next year he will attempt a record equalling fifth Tour win and undoubtedly try to win 6 if he wins and still try for the fifth, the following year if he doesn't. Froome always seems to be aware of the history of the sport. So I don't see the Giro being on the table in 2018/19.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

movingtarget said:
jahn said:

There has to be doubts he will do it at all as he has said before he loves riding the Vuelta and next year he will attempt a record equalling fifth Tour win and undoubtedly try to win 6 if he wins and still try for the fifth, the following year if he doesn't. Froome always seems to be aware of the history of the sport. So I don't see the Giro being on the table in 2018/19.

To clarify you are talking about riding to win the Giro? Sometimes I'm not sure people are aware Chris has ridden the Giro twice. Though I doubt he will do it in his prime, a lot depends on getting the vuelta win so he can switch his focus away from that. Chris is also one of the few GC guys who's actually ridden Paris Roubaix also but yea he really doesn't know his history, though he is learning more and more. But what can you expect from someone who grew up in Kenya and not Europe.

1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente