• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Podium Slam

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Zakarin and Majka need to top-10 the Tour.
Froome need to top-10 the Giro.
Kelderman need to top-3 the Tour.
Dumoulin need to top-10 the Tour.
Van Garderen need to top-3 the Giro.
Landa need to top-10 the Vuelta.

Have I missed anyone?

Van Garderen needs a top-10 at the Giro no? Although a podium would do it :)

Re: Re:

StephenC2020 said:
Alexandre B. said:

Have I missed anyone?

Van Garderen needs a top-10 at the Giro no? Although a podium would do it :)
A podium finish is required to enter the list.

Meintjes and Adam Yates need a podium too, respectively in the Giro and in the Vuelta.

I'll just add in a few:
Richie Porte needs a top 3 at the Vuelta
Leopold Konig needs a top 3 in any of the GT's
Damiano Caruso needs a top 3 at the Tour
Mikel Nieve needs a top 3 at the Tour
Davide Formolo needs a top 3 at the Tour
Estaben Chaves needs a top 10 at the Tour
Andrew Talansky needs a top 3 at the Giro (but he just retired :mad: )

Re:

Alexandre B. said:

Have I missed anyone?
Urán needs to top 10 the Vuelta, he's had two Giro podiums and one at the Tour.
Chaves needs to top 10 the Tour, he's podiumed both Giro and Vuelta.
Barguil needs to podium the Giro, he's got top 10s in both the Tour and Vuelta.
Porte needs to podium the Vuelta, he's got top 10s in both the Giro and Tour.

Less realistically at present, I guess, but:
Robert Gesink, Dan Martin, Luís León Sánchez, Laurens ten Dam and Daniel Navarro need to podium the Giro.
Domenico Pozzovivo, Damiano Caruso, Beñat Intxausti, Mikel Nieve and Davide Formolo need to podium the Tour.
Roman Kreuziger and Pierre Rolland need to podium the Vuelta.
Any podium will do for Leopold König and Bauke Mollema.
Cunego needs to top 10 the Vuelta, but obviously getting on a team that gets invited is the first obstacle for him.
Samuel Sánchez needs to top 10 the Giro, but obviously his suspension status is the first obstacle for him.

Of those unlikely ones, Dan Martin podiuming the Giro is perhaps the least far-fetched, but the Giro's proximity to the Ardennes make his targeting the race relatively unlikely. Samu making a top 10 at the Giro if he is back racing and escapes the hit would be not too far-fetched I guess, a 9th or a 10th being quietly picked up, but obviously if he gets hit with a ban of any real length we can say goodbye to that.

Martin said in an interview, just last week I think, that he can't peak for the Ardennes and the Giro, so it's unlikely that he'll ever go for it. He's started the Giro twice, first time as a 3rd year pro doing his 2nd ever GT, second time because it was starting in Belfast and he crashed out of the opening TTT.

Giro, Tour, Vuelta - Name (non-podium finish in bold) (active riders in bold)

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali
1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 2nd, 3rd - Van Springel
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
1st, 6th, 1st - Battaglin
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
4th, 2nd, 3rd - Géminiani
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 7th, 2nd - Pollentier
6th, 3rd, 1st - Vinokourov
5th, 3rd, 2nd - Pérez Francés
4th, 5th, 1st - Lejarreta
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
6th, 3rd, 2nd - Leipheimer
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
4th, 3rd, 5th - López Carril
7th, 5th, 1st - Jesús Loroño
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
4th, 3rd, 7th - Pinot
3rd, 10th, 2nd - Fernández Blanco
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
1st, 7th, 10th – Moser
2nd, 6th, 7th - Casagrande

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Leinster said:
Martin said in an interview, just last week I think, that he can't peak for the Ardennes and the Giro, so it's unlikely that he'll ever go for it. He's started the Giro twice, first time as a 3rd year pro doing his 2nd ever GT, second time because it was starting in Belfast and he crashed out of the opening TTT.

Classic Yamcha move.

SafeBet said:
Squire said:
Shouldn't Casagrande be on the list? Top tens across the board, with a Giro podium.
I believe the list is always open to new suggestions ;)
Well then, a few more:

Ugrumov, 2nd, 2nd, 8th
Adorni, 1st, 10th, 5th
Rumšas, 6th, 3rd, 5th
Muñóz Machín, 10th, 8th, 2nd
Criquielion, 7th, 5th, 3rd
Gabica, 8th, 7th, 1st
Van Looy, 4th, 10th, 3rd
Impanis, 7th, 6th, 3rd

Thanks for all the additional additions! Rumšas and Casagrande were already added, but in this thread it was on page 5 that the most updated post is on, while the same list will also be updated in the Cycling records and statistics thread. If someone prefers a list of official results only, you are more than welcome to make such a list, but the one I'll be updating will be based on the final top-10 at the end of the races.

edit: this should be the corrected list as of now:
Giro, Tour, Vuelta - Name (active riders underlined)

1st, 1st, 1st - Froome
1st, 1st, 1st - Nibali

1st, 1st, 1st - Contador
1st, 1st, 1st - Hinault
1st, 1st, 1st - Merckx
1st, 1st, 1st - Anquetil
1st, 1st, 1st - Gimondi

1st, 1st, 2nd - Indurain
1st, 2nd, 1st - Quintana
1st, 2nd, 1st - Rominger
1st, 1st, 3rd - Fignon
1st, 3rd, 1st - Menchov
2nd, 3rd, 1st - Fuente
3rd, 1st, 3rd - Evans
3rd, 3rd, 1st - Valverde
2nd, 2nd, 3rd - Van Springel
2nd, 3rd, 2nd - Purito

4th, 1st, 2nd - Sastre
1st, 2nd, 4th - Basso
2nd, 4th, 1st - Olano
1st, 6th, 1st - Battaglin
2nd, 5th, 1st - Aru
3rd, 4th, 1st - Roglič

2nd, 4th, 2nd - Millar
2nd, 4th, 2nd - Galdós
7th, 1st, 1st - Delgado
4th, 4th, 1st - Jalabert
4th, 2nd, 3rd - Géminiani
3rd, 4th, 2nd - Fornara
1st, 7th, 2nd - Pollentier
6th, 3rd, 1st - Vinokourov
5th, 3rd, 2nd - Pérez Francés
1st, 1st, 9th - Nencini
5th, 5th, 1st - Heras
2nd, 2nd, 7th - Uran
6th, 3rd, 2nd - Leipheimer
4th, 2nd, 5th - Jiménez Muñoz
4th, 5th, 2nd - Lejarreta
4th, 3rd, 4th - Kruijswijk
2nd, 2nd, 8th - Ugrumov
2nd, 3rd, 7th - Breukink
4th, 3rd, 5th - López Carril
7th, 5th, 1st - Jesús Loroño
8th, 3rd, 2nd - Escartin
8th, 5th, 1st - Herrera
4th, 3rd, 7th - Pinot
6th, 3rd, 5th - Rumšas
3rd, 10th, 2nd - Fernández Blanco
2nd, 6th, 7th - Casagrande
7th, 5th, 3rd - Criquielion
1st, 10th, 5th - Adorni
8th, 7th, 1st - Yates, S.
8th, 7th, 1st - Gabica
7th, 6th, 3rd - Impanis
7th, 1st, 9th - Aimar
4th, 10th, 3rd - Van Looy
5th, 9th, 3rd - Zakarin
1st, 7th, 10th - Moser
10th, 8th, 2nd - Muñóz Machín

Last edited:
Thinking about it, its actually pretty amazing that we have Contador, Froome and Nibali from this generation winning all 3 GTs and Quintana just having to switch his 2nd to a 1st as well in order to make the list as well. This is a pretty good GT-generation thats soon coming to an end.

It has helped that the Vuelta has been moved to the end of the season, and during the last decade the Giro has been able to attract a better field. Partly because the Italians aren't as dominating as they were at the beginning of the century.

Half of those with a podium in all three were achieved in the last decade (Menchov's Vuelta win from 2007 the oldest).

Re:

Netserk said:
It has helped that the Vuelta has been moved to the end of the season, and during the last decade the Giro has been able to attract a better field. Partly because the Italians aren't as dominating as they were at the beginning of the century.
Obviously, but the biggest stars of the sport are also reaching out to win the Giro which definitely wasn't the case when I started watching cycling in the mid 00's for various reasons. It has simply gotten more prestigious IMO, the sport is less Tour centric nowadays which is good.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Thinking about it, its actually pretty amazing that we have Contador, Froome and Nibali from this generation winning all 3 GTs and Quintana just having to switch his 2nd to a 1st as well in order to make the list as well. This is a pretty good GT-generation thats soon coming to an end.

Add in Valverde Evans and Menchov and J Rod. Pretty strong all rounded 8 - 10 ish GC riders IMO

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I think it also has a lot to do with the Giro and Vuelta becoming a lot more international races in the last decade. The Giro and Vuelta used to be 80% Italians and Spaniards in the top 10, now the entire world is splitting themselves over the 3 GTs although the Tour still has the most emphasis.

This Giro has 2 Italians in the top 10. Contador was the only Spaniard in the top 15 last year. The very best riders are almost all taking shots at every GT at some point in their career.

How does this list work? Just riders that have podium'd one of the three GT's and finished top 10 in the other two are good? Seems like it from what i can tell. In that case, you can add Jurgen Van den Broeck. He podium'd in the TDF in 2010 behind Schleck and Sanchez after Contador and Mensjov were stricken. He was 6th in the 2008 Giro, and if the anti-dope brigade would have done a better job, he would have made the podium there as well. And he finished 8th in the only Vuelta he ever finished, still recovering from his injuries (collapsed lung, broken shoulder, two broken ribs) from a crash in the 2011 TDF.

6-3-8

Red Rick said:
I think it also has a lot to do with the Giro and Vuelta becoming a lot more international races in the last decade. The Giro and Vuelta used to be 80% Italians and Spaniards in the top 10
wqqwd3.jpg

Santi <3

TRENDING THREADS