• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Podium Slam

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yeah but nobody wants JvdB on there because he was like the most uninspiring rider ever

Silly comment. He's a prime example of a rider who got the most out of his talents and made big bucks in the process. Very uninspiring for sure.

Don't mind him, he's still a bit butthurt from the silly JVDB vs Gesink debates the Dutchies here started many years ago. He also didn't watch the 2009 TDF and the 2008 Giro if he thinks JVDB is the most uninspiring rider ever.

Re:

Netserk said:
Thanks for all the additional additions! Rumšas and Casagrande were already added, but in this thread it was on page 5 that the most updated post is on, while the same list will also be updated in the Cycling records and statistics thread. If someone prefers a list of official results only, you are more than welcome to make such a list, but the one I'll be updating will be based on the final top-10 at the end of the races.

Then you have some update to do. Lejarreta did not win the Vuelta; his best result was second place.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Thinking about it, its actually pretty amazing that we have Contador, Froome and Nibali from this generation winning all 3 GTs and Quintana just having to switch his 2nd to a 1st as well in order to make the list as well. This is a pretty good GT-generation thats soon coming to an end.
I think it also has a lot to do with the Giro and Vuelta becoming a lot more international races in the last decade. The Giro and Vuelta used to be 80% Italians and Spaniards in the top 10, now the entire world is splitting themselves over the 3 GTs although the Tour still has the most emphasis.

This Giro has 2 Italians in the top 10. Contador was the only Spaniard in the top 15 last year. The very best riders are almost all taking shots at every GT at some point in their career.
This. Nowadays if you have won the tour and another gt it's pretty likely you will also at least try to get the third just to get on that list. I'm certain that in 20-30 years the number of riders who won all three gt's will be almost twice as long.

I kind of miss the days of Spanish Vuelta dominance and Italian Giro dominance. It made the races more unique, in a way. Of course it's probably better for the sport to have a more international field everywhere, but it makes the big races a bit more samey. And on that note, I absolutely despise the Giro's decision to have "Front of the race" & "Chasers" instead of "Testa della corsa" & "Inseguitori" on the TV graphics. The "Fight for pink" slogan is also an abomination.

Re:

Squire said:
I kind of miss the days of Spanish Vuelta dominance and Italian Giro dominance. It made the races more unique, in a way. Of course it's probably better for the sport to have a more international field everywhere, but it makes the big races a bit more samey. And on that note, I absolutely despise the Giro's decision to have "Front of the race" & "Chasers" instead of "Testa della corsa" & "Inseguitori" on the TV graphics. The "Fight for pink" slogan is also an abomination.
I agree about the terminologi and the slogans. The Italian is part of the charm.

Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Thinking about it, its actually pretty amazing that we have Contador, Froome and Nibali from this generation winning all 3 GTs and Quintana just having to switch his 2nd to a 1st as well in order to make the list as well. This is a pretty good GT-generation thats soon coming to an end.
I think it also has a lot to do with the Giro and Vuelta becoming a lot more international races in the last decade. The Giro and Vuelta used to be 80% Italians and Spaniards in the top 10, now the entire world is splitting themselves over the 3 GTs although the Tour still has the most emphasis.

This Giro has 2 Italians in the top 10. Contador was the only Spaniard in the top 15 last year. The very best riders are almost all taking shots at every GT at some point in their career.
This. Nowadays if you have won the tour and another gt it's pretty likely you will also at least try to get the third just to get on that list. I'm certain that in 20-30 years the number of riders who won all three gt's will be almost twice as long.
It will be interesting to see how many people do a Nibali and potentially a Quintana and win the Giro and Vuelta first before the Tour vs vice versa with the Tour involved. I feel like so many riders should focus on winning one of the other two instead of 8th in the TDF but meh what do I know

Scarponi said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

It will be interesting to see how many people do a Nibali and potentially a Quintana and win the Giro and Vuelta first before the Tour vs vice versa with the Tour involved. I feel like so many riders should focus on winning one of the other two instead of 8th in the TDF but meh what do I know
It's not really 8th in the Tour vs winning Giro or Vuelta. Sure there's a little bit of variance but these races aren't that easy to pick off

Yeah, I remember exactly that race being shown on TV2 in my very young days (that time trial to Sierra Nevada was insane!) Thats some sick memories right there, all spanish top-10 and all of the legends like Heras, Mancebo, young Valverde, and Sastre. That was some times! Getting very nostalgic over here..

Red Rick said:
Scarponi said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

It's not really 8th in the Tour vs winning Giro or Vuelta. Sure there's a little bit of variance but these races aren't that easy to pick off
Of course, if you are wining Giro or Veulta you are top 3 or winning at TDF these days. It was just an add on comment about people coming top 10 TDF who could get a littler higher elsewhere

But wouldn't top-10 in Tour de France better than a little higher placing elsewhere? (Giro and Vuelta) I mean sponsors, media and fans sure care a lot more about the Tour so that might be worth a bit more.

Say, wouldnt you rather want a 7th in the Tour than a 5th in the Giro? I think that wouuld pay you better.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
But wouldn't top-10 in Tour de France better than a little higher placing elsewhere? (Giro and Vuelta) I mean sponsors, media and fans sure care a lot more about the Tour so that might be worth a bit more.

Say, wouldnt you rather want a 7th in the Tour than a 5th in the Giro? I think that wouuld pay you better.
I can tell you from the top of my head who got 5th in the Giro but I couldn't tell you who got 7th in the Tour.

And the way it happens also matters. Contador's 5th place in the Vuelta was probably more publicity than Uran for getting 2nd in the Tour.

tobydawq said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
tobydawq said:
He was 5th in 2010.

Again. He was 3rd in 2010. Contador and Menchov were stricken.

A fact which is rightfully ignored in this thread.

I liked Contador, but thats just nonsense. They were disqualified. Simple as that. Or is Armstrong still a sven times Tour winner or Landis in 2006? Or Kohl on the podium 2008?

ppanther92 said:
tobydawq said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
tobydawq said:
He was 5th in 2010.

Again. He was 3rd in 2010. Contador and Menchov were stricken.

A fact which is rightfully ignored in this thread.

I liked Contador, but thats just nonsense. They were disqualified. Simple as that. Or is Armstrong still a sven times Tour winner or Landis in 2006? Or Kohl on the podium 2008?

Yes.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:

I can tell you from the top of my head who got 5th in the Giro but I couldn't tell you who got 7th in the Tour.

And the way it happens also matters. Contador's 5th place in the Vuelta was probably more publicity than Uran for getting 2nd in the Tour.
Yeah, we are talking about hardcore fans here (I guess we can call ourselves that :D ), but I think most would prefer the Tour due to the things that comes with it. But I don't know.

TRENDING THREADS