• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

!!the real alberto contador is twitting!!!

A

Anonymous

ALBERTIÑO said:
Yes is The real at last. HE made his twitter.
follow him in http://twitter.com/acontador
Also his brother Fran in http://twitter.com/fjcontador

Today post a video and a Photo with Jesus Hernandez

It is cool that He's tweeting about his training, now with photos, and the videos keep coming. After hearing about Pinto so often, it was nice to see a bit of the town, and to see Alberto at the concert with his singer friend. He's clearly training hard and enjoying life. It's gonna be a great year.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
Yes, but he's started to actively use it. My guess is his sponsors (read Specialized) are asking him to do more.

I imagine that's a big part of it. I'm a regular on his website, and I noticed some time ago that they want to open an online store. At about the same time, CNN International posted a story where they listed a fan site as his official one, which doesn't show up in English language Google searches. I've got a couple of business degrees and unfortunately, way too much free time, so I spent some time writing up suggestions. After the business jibber jabber, I said that cycling fans love to know about training, and bikes, and to see photos of training and life. It's good to see the workouts going in to make the racing believable. I really encouraged them to let athletes outside of Spain get to know him better so they don't believe lies against him.

I'm not claiming credit, as there are a lot of good minds on his team, plus the new sponsors. But four different people from Pinto and Madrid showed up on my stats counter, and the press agent e-mailed a thank you for the effort.

But the good news is they keep putting more and more info out there - there's a you tube channel, and the twitter, and more press releases coming out of the main site. When he goes to practice on the cobbles in February, we can probably count on photos. It all makes the time between races more fun.

I imagine it's been mentioned elsewhere already, but Alberto just gave an interview to the same guy who gave the details of the TT wheel. It shows a bit tougher stance - read the sub-heading too. Cheers.

http://www.marca.com/2010/01/28/ciclismo/1264702758.html

theswordsman said:
thanks swordsman for the link
this is priceless:
MARCA:
-Y cuando Lance dice, y no precisamente como una alabanza, que Contador sigue viviendo en el mismo pueblo de siempre, en los suburbios de Madrid, que sigue teniendo los mismos amigos, la familia siempre a su lado... ¿Qué piensa usted?
when Armstrong says, not precisely as a complement, that Contador keeps
living in the same "pueblo" with the same friends, and his family close by-
what do you think?

ALBERTO:
Que somos muy diferentes. Yo, al contrario que él, estoy súper orgulloso de tener la familia a mi lado, los mismos amigos de siempre, seguir viviendo en mi pueblo y no haber cambiado mi forma de ser. Con esas declaraciones me alaba.
that we're different- to the contrary of him, I'm proud of my family being by mi side, so am I of the same friends I've always had, still living in my "pueblo" and haven't ever changed the way I am. those declarations rather complement me

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:
Good to know using twitter is now a good thing when it apparently used to be so bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I love twitter. Great to be kept informed by so many riders. It's better than most ghostwritten columns.

A

Anonymous

progressor said:
Good to know using twitter is now a good thing when it apparently used to be so bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

People who don't like it are using it incorrectly.

As an information source - News/sport updates, often direct from people involved, directions to blog updates, kit sales, catching up with friends easily & quickly = good*

As "social networking", "follower" chasing to make you feel like you have more friends, writing drivel about what time you had a dump to people who neither know you nor care, and tweeting celebrities in the hope they mention you = bad

*but beware sports people who cynically use it as manipulation/brain washing/adverts for which they obviously receive a benefit. See Mr Frenchfry's comment above.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Only can say that Contador will never reach the 2 million of followers that has Lance. HE problaby will be the GOAT bt never 2 million followers. Thats call "Carisma" and Ac doesnt have it. by the way Ac rock *** Lance when he wants.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
progressor said:

I am hoping it is just for the benefit of the sponsors. I am not looking forward to a catfight on twitter this spring and summer. That would be horrible. Hopefully specialized/sponsors will just post the generic banal tweets.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hibbles said:
People who don't like it are using it incorrectly.

As an information source - News/sport updates, often direct from people involved, directions to blog updates, kit sales, catching up with friends easily & quickly = good*

As "social networking", "follower" chasing to make you feel like you have more friends, writing drivel about what time you had a dump to people who neither know you nor care, and tweeting celebrities in the hope they mention you = bad

*but beware sports people who cynically use it as manipulation/brain washing/adverts for which they obviously receive a benefit. See Mr Frenchfry's comment above.

I admit there is a learning curve and to the majority of casual users, it's just not intuitive. I don't get it, but I get that I am not using it correctly.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
I wonder what celebrities can earn by selling 'mentions' ?

Most of the time it's from current sponsors. Something like: Look at my new Giro glasses! http://www.tinypic/blah
I really don't think it makes them a lot of money. (except for Danny Devito's troll-foot)

It's really not hard to see when people are 'selling' things and when they give you normal updates.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
oh boy, another cyclist making inane comments !! that's exiting !!!

what's the symbol for throwing up?

oh boy, another forum-member making inane comments !! that's exiting !!!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
ak-zaaf said:

44.jpg

A

Anonymous

patricknd said:
oh boy, another cyclist making inane comments !! that's exiting !!!

So don't follow cyclists then, you don't have to. But as an information source, it's great. Eg. I don't need to bother checking Cycling News for updates any more, they send us a link when there is something.

Similarly, bike shops will tell you when there's a sale on, giving you instant warning of a major bargain. Again, saves having to check the website regularly.

There's much more to it than "Did u c big bro? Lolz, OMG!!!. I had BK for dinner."

theswordsman said:
and to see Alberto at the concert with his singer friend...

Alberto is friends with David Brisbal?! HA - Brisbal is so cheesy. Alejandro Sanz or Pau Dones maybe but Brisbal - ha!

I guess Millar was wrong, its not Wiggins who wants to hang out with pop stars its Contador.

HA - thanks for posting this - es comiquisimo. Me muero de risa. Brisbal, ja ja ja.

A

Anonymous

ak-zaaf said:

oh boy, another forum-member making silly inane replies !! that's exciting !!!

what's the symbol for throwing up? :eek:

TRENDING THREADS