• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Cycling Awards..

A

Anonymous

Sod all this best team, best rider, most exciting finish... lets have some proper awards...

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year
+ Worst Team Kit
+ Worst Bike of the year
+ Biggest non event of the year
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider)
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider)
+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010
+ Whiner of the year
+ Most dissapointing race
+ Loser of the year

Im sure we can think of some more...

A

Anonymous

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Vino in Lombardia
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Menchov France
+ Worst Team Kit - Vinos, Vino Shirt
+ Worst Bike of the year - The Butterfly trek.. wrong on all levels..
+ Biggest non event of the year - The tour team time trial
+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010 - Floyd Landis
+ Whiner of the year - Thor Hushovd
+ Most dissapointing race - Tour of ireland.. needed the extra two days
+ Loser of the year - Valverde

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
Sod all this best team, best rider, most exciting finish... lets have some proper awards...

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year
+ Worst Team Kit
+ Worst Bike of the year
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider)
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider)
+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010
+ Whiner of the year
+ Most dissapointing race
+ Loser of the year

Im sure we can think of some more...

Tool of the year...
Arrogant *** of the year... CAVENDISH (if your going to call houshovd a whiner whcih he;s not then cav's up himself big time.
Most dissapointing race would have to be the tour.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Worst trend of the year: Twittering

I think that the twitts who hate twitter are wrong. We have found out some breaking news stories and riders opinions on things when media haven't been able to interview the riders. the people can also ask their riders about things and send messages to them of support.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Good way to start the day. :p

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Evans, TDF.
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Valverde/Boonen/Devolder, TDF.
+ Worst Team Kit - Columbia, it doesn't get any worse.
+ Worst Bike of the year - LA's butterfly bike.
+ Biggest non event of the year - Tour of Poland.
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider) - Cav's Poggio/Boonen remark.
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider) - Di Luca's "It's traceable, I'm not stupid" (he is a non-rider now right? :))
+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010 - Ivan Basso.
+ Whiner of the year - As always....
+ Most dissapointing race - TDF, CX Worlds.
+ Loser of the year - Johan Bruyneel

A

Anonymous

oh poo.. id forgotten about boonens tour de france showing.. it was that bad i dont even remember him being there.. :D

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt, Gilbert in Liege. Goes at it hard with like 30 k to go, but when Andy Schleck goes a couple of kms later he just flies by Gilbert as if he doesn't exist. Denis Menchov's 3 falls in one of the last week Tour stages is up there too.

+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year, Tom Boonen in the TdF. Probably spent quite a pretty Quick-Step penny on lawyers to get him in the Tour, but when he's there we hardly see him.

+ Worst Team Kit, Bouyues Telecom, just because i can't stand that shade of aqua-ish blue.

+ Worst Bike of the year, No idea.

+ Biggest non event of the year, the Contador leaving (or not) Astana saga.

+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider), Cavendish (in his book) saying that Pipo Pozzato fancied him.

+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider), Ummmm, can't think of any.

+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010, Michael Rasmussen

+ Whiner of the year, Cadel, followed shortly by teammate Hoste

+ Most dissapointing race, Le Tour, always is.

+ Loser of the year, La Francaise des Jeux. I'm sure they probably had a decent victory here or there, I just can't seem to come up with one.

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys. long time lurker, finally decided to register and contribute my two pence worth of gubbins :)

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Cadel at TDF
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Boonen/Devolder at TDF
+ Worst Team Kit - Either 'VINO 4 EVER' or South Australia
+ Worst Bike of the year - Butterfly Madone
+ Biggest non event of the year - Tour of Poland
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider) - Armstrongs 'no I in team, pistolero' tweet
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider) - "The bike is named 4815, after Michael Ball's favorite gear cluster'"
+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010 - The chicken
+ Whiner of the year - Armstrong during TDF
+ Most dissapointing race - Tour of Ireland. Needed to be longer (chuffed that Downing won though)
+ Loser of the year - DiLuca for sure.

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Cadel Evans in Tour de France, can't remember which stage but it was completely hopeless.
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Boonen in the tour, completely invisible.
+ Worst Team Kit - Joker Bianchi
+ Worst Bike of the year - No idea
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider) "Uhm...ehhhhhh...huh" (EBH <3)
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider) No idea
+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010 - Ricco
+ Whiner of the year - Tie between Cavendish and Armstrong.
+ Most dissapointing race - Tour de France
+ Loser of the year - Oscar Freire (one amongst many who dissapointed this year)

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Worst team kit: Lampre. As it is every year.

I read somewhere that is has been scientifically proven, that in a boxing match the boxer with the red gloves wins more often than the boxer in the blue gloves. Assuming that the colors are arbitrarily assigned, the interpretation was, that the red color somehow makes a boxer more agressive and able to fight than the blue.

Then imagine what it does to a grown man and top-level professional athlete to be made to wear that hideous lavender and pink lycra catastropyhy that is the Lampre team kit day in and day out.

No wonder they are out of the protour.

Only upside is that it is easily reckognizable.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Most laughable grand tour performance of the year/Most dissapointing race:

Saxobank in the Vuelta. It was supposed to be the big break of Jakob Fuglsang, the big Danish hope. He was there as the captain of the team, a strong team including the Schlecks. Then on one of the first etapes almost everyone crashes in the rain, including Jakob, who rides directly into a parked truck and gets a deep cut in his shin. Everybody is injured, half of the team leaves the race. Big disappointment.

Jakob stayed in the race though, and did some great climbing later on. Can't wait to see him next year in the tour.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Worst Team Kit
ISD. I don't care if Cipo did supposedly design it - it's awful.

Biggest non event of the year
Riders on Twitter

Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010
Lance

Most dissapointing race
TdF - long stretches of boring in between rare moments of interest

Loser of the year
Omega-Pharma-Silence-Davitamon-Whatevertheheck-Lotto
Don't screw over your team leader so many times that the minute he becomes World Champ he leaves your @$$ late in the season when it's too late to properly replace his slot.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Cadel Evans in Tour de France, breaking away from his own team in the TTT.

+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Boonen was invisible at the TDF... but do people remember Bennati was there? Best stage finish... 9th. His Vuelta was only slightly better.

+ Worst Team Kit - Not a fan of Astana's.

+ Biggest non event of the year - Lance's TDU performance. Most of us knew he'd just coast through the race... but you'd have thought he was a favorite based on the US media covering the event.

+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010 - Boonen. Way too much headache for a guy turning into a pure classics rider who still thinks he's an elite sprinter.

+ Whiner of the year - Hushovd. For filing the complaint saying he was impeded in the sprint where Cav got relegated, and for whiling at Velits for outsprinting him for a medium placing on a mountain stage. Then bragging about his breakaway pointing at his green jersey. I've always been a fan of his, but he came across as very childish in this tour.

+ Most dissapointing race - People say the Tour, but most expected it to be the Contador/Astana show that it was. It met expectations. I thought P-R was dissappointing. It was shaping up very good... then everyone crashed and Boonen had an easy solo to the win. Big let down.

+ Loser of the year - Fuglsang. I heard a lot of hype leading up to the Vuelta. He didn't crack the top 50.

kurtinsc said:
+ Whiner of the year - Hushovd. For filing the complaint saying he was impeded in the sprint where Cav got relegated, and for whiling at Velits for outsprinting him for a medium placing on a mountain stage. Then bragging about his breakaway pointing at his green jersey. I've always been a fan of his, but he came across as very childish in this tour.
Cavendish had already been disqualified before Hushovd complained at all, so no matter what Hushovd had said or done, Cav would still have been disqualified. Hushovd obviously agreed with the disq, but that doesn't really make him a whiner now does it?

About being annoyed at Velits, that was quite a natural thing to do. Hushovd expected that after he had climbed his fat *** over several mountains and finished in the peloton, no one else would care to fight for a 5. place as only he needed points, but apprently Velits found this very important for some weird reason. He did not insult Velits in the media afterwards, and explained that in the "heat of the moment" he had felt rather irritated, which I only find natural.

And then your last reason. Wow. He bragged about winning the 2 sprints by pointing at his green jersey. Damn. That's almost as bad as cheering when you win a stage. What a selfish idiot.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
+Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Evans in TDF
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Boonen in TDF
+ Worst Team Kit – Rock Racing or Lampre
+ Worst Bike of the year – Butterfly Trek
+ Biggest non event of the year – race radio ban in TDF
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider) almost everything said by LA
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider) (paraphrased) “there will not be any positive doping controls for the next several years in the Tour de France” Pat McQuaid
+ Rider you’d least like to have on your team in 2010 – LA, Ricco, Vino
+ Whiner of the year –LA (for whining about not being the automatic team leader based on his past accomplishments and resulting childish resentment of AC as aired daily on Twitter and elsewhere).
+ Most disappointing race – Tour of Ireland (too short)
+ Loser of the year - DiLuca

kurtinsc said:
+ Loser of the year - Fuglsang. I heard a lot of hype leading up to the Vuelta. He didn't crack the top 50.

I hate that I always seem to be defending this dude, but he suffered a horrible crash on stage 4, did very well afterwards and got in some breakaways and came close to a stage win on 3 (i think) occasions. Also he had a strong Dauphine, won the Tour of Denmark, and got some very good placings elsewhere. Obviously he expected more from his GT debut, but to call him 'Loser of the Year' is just hating on the guy.

Funny thing is, I have Fuglsang as one of the breakthroughs of the year. Obviously, the Vuelta a Espana didn't turn out quite as planned, but due to that crash he pretty much ignored the GC very early. Instead he focused on stage wins, and he did actually - as Moondance mentioned - hit the right break at three occasions, and his strong showings in Giro dell'Emilia (2nd to Robert Gesink) and Giro di Lombardia is proof that he can ride the mountainous/hilly one-day races with the best. That he has a huge potential concerning stage races is no surprise, but was simply confirmed with his wins in the tours of Denmark and Slovenia, and quite remarkable rides at the Dauphiné Libéré and Volta a Catalunya.

Loser of the year - hell no!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Evans, TdF
+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Boonen, TdF
+ Worst Team Kit - Columbia
+ Worst Bike of the year - The butterfly bike, hideous in so many ways
+ Biggest non event of the year - ToP
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider) - everything LA tweets
+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider) - everything Bruyneel says
+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010 - LA & Ricco
+ Whiner of the year - LA
+ Most dissapointing race - Vuelta. It was a pity that Piti won.
+ Loser of the year - DiLuca

+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - yeah, Cadel in TdF takes it

+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Cunego in the Giro; that was the performance that finally made him admit he's a 1-day guy

+ Worst Team Kit - ISD

+ Worst Bike of the year - aesthetically, Lance's butterfly; functionally, they're all way better than anything I could ever own.

+ Biggest non event of the year - Armstrong at the Giro

+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider) - gotta be Lance's Tweets

+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider) - if you've ever seen America's coverage of the TdF, you'll know that anything that comes out of Bob Roll's mouth qualifies as stupidest quote of the year.

+ Rider youd least like to have on your team in 2010 - Ricco

+ Whiner of the year - Evans after Gesink apparently kept him from outsprinting Valverde in the Vuelta (although to his credit he later rescinded, but still, what a claim)

+ Most disappointing race - Paris-Roubaix. Sure it was crazy watching those crashes, but just imagine if we had 20km more of seeing if Flecha or the Lotto's could launch an attack, or if it'd come down to a velodrome sprint between Boonen, Pozzatto and Hushovd. Would have been a killer.

+ Loser of the year - McEwen, poor guy.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
mortand said:
Funny thing is, I have Fuglsang as one of the breakthroughs of the year. Obviously, the Vuelta a Espana didn't turn out quite as planned, but due to that crash he pretty much ignored the GC very early. Instead he focused on stage wins, and he did actually - as Moondance mentioned - hit the right break at three occasions, and his strong showings in Giro dell'Emilia (2nd to Robert Gesink) and Giro di Lombardia is proof that he can ride the mountainous/hilly one-day races with the best. That he has a huge potential concerning stage races is no surprise, but was simply confirmed with his wins in the tours of Denmark and Slovenia, and quite remarkable rides at the Dauphiné Libéré and Volta a Catalunya.

Loser of the year - hell no!
Agree. One of the exciting new guys to watch.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt Pathetic: arousing pity (Source = OED) Dave Millar in TdF. So near though yet so far.

+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year Menchov's many falls at the TdF.

+ Worst Team Kit Lampre's is pretty horrible.

+ Worst Bike of the year I know this looks like bandwagon jumping but what was with those butterflies?

+ Biggest non event of the year LA @ ToI

+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (by a rider) "He has much to learn", LA about AC after stage 3 TdF.

+ Stupidest Quote of the Year (non rider) "The ToC is now Grand Tour", Bob Stapleton.

+ Rider you'd least like to have on your team in 2010 LA - Other than money, why would anyone want to be on a team with someone who would stab both a team-mate and the whole team set-up in the back, during what is probably the most prestigious event in the sport's calender?

+ Whiner of the year LA
0752d82d4bec1b7ac56ac7e1e62f2cc7.jpg

+ Most disappointing race The ToI being shortened to three stages, so that the organisers can afford the appearance fees for someone who can't even be @rsed to try to ride up St. Patricks Hill once!

+ Loser of the year I'm unfortunately coming across as a hater here, which certainly wasn't my intent at the start of this post but I do think LA has probably lost more than anyone else this season, at least in terms of fans and admiration. His huge appearance fees paid for by Ozzie tax payers and shortening Ireland's prestige race, his snipping of a certain team-mate, right from when he announced his comeback up until said team-mate showed he now out classed the "old master", his hissy fit at the Giro, and his poor loser attitude, have all contributed to more and more casual to semi-serious cycling fans turning their backs on him as the year has gone on. He may have helped bolster his stock in the American media but amongst those who take even a passing interest in the sport outside of July, be they American or not, I doubt it has ever been lower. There are many, many "I used to be a Lance fan but..." posts on this forum alone that stand testimony to the fact that by virtue of his comeback he has lost more than anyone else this year (even if he has made several million for his personal fortune at the same time).

NB: I have quoted several people in this post. However all of these quotes are from memory and I may well be paraphrasing rather than giving an exact wording.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
+ Most pathetic breakaway attempt - Day 18 of the Tour, before the Annecy ITT. What a waste of time. Idiots wouldn't even work together.

+ Most laughable grand tour performance of the year - Tom Danielson (Vuelta), Cadel/Menchov/Boonen/Rogers (Tour), Levi in the Giro.

+ Best Kit - Vino 4 Ever. Priceless, egotistical self promotion. I'm glad he's back because he is a character.

+ Worst Team Kit - Columbia, it doesn't get any worse. I'll second Ak Zaaf on that. I hate it. Stapleton is a sell out.

+ Worst Bike of the year - The Butterfly trek.. wrong on all levels.. I'll second dimspace on that. Piece of $h!te. Liggett and Sherwen went on about it for over an hour.

+ Biggest non event of the year - The tour team time trial. Lance winning the Tour. To those who disagree, Liggett swore ten minutes into commentary on day one at Monaco, Lance had told him that morning he was going to win. That belief should have gone after the prologue conclusion to all daft enough to believe in "hope rides again."

+ Rider you'd least like to have on your team in 2010 - Whoever gets caught next. I'll go with Liquigas. They are due a doped rider positive some time. Or Ricco. That guy is a major douche off the bike. On it he is arguably worse.

+ Whiner of the year - Cadel Evans. Stapleton and HTC after Hincapie goofed up. Blame Garmin. No, blame George doofus. A lot get mentions, Lance takes the cake from everyone and devoured it. Why is that not a surprise?

+ Most disappointing race - Didn't watch anything I didn't want to. Even when I expected and wanted a rider to shine, if they didn't someone else did. I guess the Tour because it was dull. But it is in France so the scenery makes up for the blandness.

+ Loser of the year - Di Luca, Astarloza. Comes down to the quotes and excuses. "It's traceable, I'm not stupid" and "I only used an altitude tent." Conspiracy theorists do exist in cycling. They are the dopers and cheats.

TRENDING THREADS