• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I find it sadder to see the decline of guys who underachieved, got a bit unlucky, deserved more out of their careers, than a guy who has been basically on a 10 year winning streak.

But it might be - "your" guys simply werent good enough.

dlwssonic said:
Its sad to see a great champion like roger slowly decline like that.
Its always sad in general.
Something which would happen or already has happened to the likes of menchov, cadel, basso very soon.

Roger is not declining, it is just that Djokovic is the best sportsman in the World, and Nadal is probably second best, so he is now facing much harder opposition. If Djokovic wins today he will be side to side with Armstrong as best sportsman EVER.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
mmmmmmmmmmmmm:p

maria-sharapova-17122.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
ROSOL ! :D what a match that was, he destroyed that Spanish fella :p

Thank God I won't see him scratching his *** anymore at Wimbledon till next year :eek: :D

F***************ck!! I cannot believe it. I'm so giddy I want to skip and dance around the house. I'm not anti-Nadal, I just love big sporting moments. Rosol's ball speed was phenomenal. There were moments the ball was so fast I lost track of watching it. Insane.

I normally root for Djokovic but I would love to see Federer grab this opportunity and get one more Slam while there's no Nadal standing in his way.

Together with the footy, what a fantastic night for sport. :D

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Jeriko said:
F***************ck!! I cannot believe it. I'm so giddy I want to skip and dance around the house. I'm not anti-Nadal, I just love big sporting moments. Rosol's ball speed was phenomenal. There were moments the ball was so fast I lost track of watching it. Insane.

I normally root for Djokovic but I would love to see Federer grab this opportunity and get one more Slam while there's no Nadal standing in his way.

Together with the footy, what a fantastic night for sport.

Indeed :p

iOcIQPC0UGmoF.gif

You barely see the ball there :eek: :)

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Jeriko said:

Together with the footy, what a fantastic night for sport. :D

He was in the zone. Unbelieveable ability to hit winners on the lines all the time. Out in the next round though. Just goes to show how important consistency is.

Federer v Djokovic coming up in a dream semi. I would give up a lot to watch that match. Just not my day time job.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Chapeau Federer, he was the best player today and throughout the tournament and his legacy continues to extend.

To come back from a period where Djokovic and too a certain extent Nadal had been dominating and then win a grand slam is something special because it shows he is still a great player and that he can prolong his reign.

This era though certainly has the best players of any era and Murray would certainly have enjoyed more success and already won a Grand Slam if he had been playing in any other eras.

Froome19 said:
Chapeau Federer, he was the best player today and throughout the tournament and his legacy continues to extend.

To come back from a period where Djokovic and too a certain extent Nadal had been dominating and then win a grand slam is something special because it shows he is still a great player and that he can prolong his reign.

This era though certainly has the best players of any era and Murray would certainly have enjoyed more success and already won a Grand Slam if he had been playing in any other eras.

Don't think He would have won any in the Sampras, Agassi era. If he was born 5-6 years earlier than now, he may have squeezed a Wimbledon title a.l.a Hewitt, but not more than that.

l.Harm said:
Don't think so. Most people call Federer the best player ever.

That doesn't mean Murray would have won much in other eras of tennis.
Actually the average level of the top ten was much higher in the 90s than now.

Since Federer took over there were basically 2 years where nobody else could contend (and normal players like Roddick or Hewitt were considered elite). Then Nadal and recently Djokovic put Federer's dominance in jeopardy. That means 3 elite players plus Murray for the past 6 or 7 years. The rest of the pack is clearly on a lower level.

In the early 90s you could have a Grand Slam with 8 to 10 legit contenders. Winning a Slam was probably more difficult and the average talent was superior (an amazing tennis player like Petr Korda only won 1 GS).

Same thing could be said for the 80s actually, while if you go further back it's hard to make comparisons since the style of play was too different.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
l.Harm said:
Don't think so. Most people call Federer the best player ever.

I've been watching Wimbledon (and other top tennis) for the last 40 years or so, and I have no doubt that Fed is the best that I've seen. Some of his play today was pure magic. Murray has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of about his performance today, though I thought the crowd should have shown Fed a little more love at the end. It's not every year that someone wins their 7th title.:cool: