• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Like I said after Roland Garros nowadays Federer has the physical edge over Nadal, probably (I say probably because we don't know what could have happened without the sandstorm that affected the match in Paris) still isn't enough for clay but on fast surfaces is Federer that he has to loose, today Nadal lasted two sets, in the third he started to make errors after errors, especially long rallies almost always ended with him throwing the ball in the net or outside the pitch, only in the end he tried desperately to fight a bit but was like a wounded beast whereas Federer still looked like he was just come out on the pitch.
Anyway is incredible how they have declined since their prime, this morning Sky aired the 2008 final and compared to that today looked like a slow motion, the level is really low if they still dominate the scene.

On other news Nadal was already qualified for the finals after the QF win and if Federer will win the tournament he'll maintain the first place in the race with a 300 points lead.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Like I said after Roland Garros nowadays Federer has the physical edge over Nadal, probably (I say probably because we don't know what could have happened without the sandstorm that affected the match in Paris) still isn't enough for clay but on fast surfaces is Federer that he has to loose, today Nadal lasted two sets, in the third he started to make errors after errors, especially long rallies almost always ended with him throwing the ball in the net or outside the pitch, only in the end he tried desperately to fight a bit but was like a wounded beast whereas Federer still looked like he was just come out on the pitch.
Anyway is incredible how they have declined since their prime, this morning Sky aired the 2008 final and compared to that today looked like a slow motion, the level is really low if they still dominate the scene.

On other news Nadal was already qualified for the finals after the QF win and if Federer will win the tournament he'll maintain the first place in the race with a 300 points lead.
I was at times just baffled by what kind of balls they weren't even running for.

Re:

gunara said:
I hope Halep can be more consistent throughout a season. I always think she's currently the real number one in this far-from-amazing period of women's tennis, but for that she's achieved so little.
Had plenty of #1s without Slam titles recently, so she's not that bad.

Find her kinda similar to Lleyton Hewitt.

Halep played really well. She played like Djokovic, hardly missing (literally had only 3 Unforced Errors), returned everything, forced Williams to hit the extra shots and played aggressive when she had the opportunity. Mental toughness in these big matches, GS finals has been a question mark for Halep, but now winning her second slam it should relax her and hopefully she continues to play well and win more.

BullsFan22 said:
Halep played really well. She played like Djokovic, hardly missing (literally had only 3 Unforced Errors), returned everything, forced Williams to hit the extra shots and played aggressive when she had the opportunity. Mental toughness in these big matches, GS finals has been a question mark for Halep, but now winning her second slam it should relax her and hopefully she continues to play well and win more.

Yep she played her absolute best tennis. In particular her backhand was incredible, turning defence into attack.

As another poster said, I think she is the number one player in the world, but she's had some injuries. I think she has made 4 out of the last 10 GS finals, and won 2, which is a pretty good record. A bit weird that her two Slams have been on clay and grass though, just like Garbine.

A final for the record books.
So many points that could've turned the match to one side or another, but those two are too big players to be beaten by one ball.

Federer won two-thirds of a set more in the games, but Đoković ruled in the tiebreaks
Congrats.

I find Federer much more charismatic and likeable. Djokovic will always get less fan support when playing Federer. It was evident back in the days of the US Open matches when they met every year from 2007 to 2011, and again in 2015, and it's been evident at Wimbledon as well, from 2012, 2014, 2015 and again in this final. Far more support for Federer. Djokovic with his impersonations of other players and his playfulness early on in his career was funny and liked by the fans, but over the years his demeanor and his parents attitude on and off the court turned people off. He's kind of mellowed out in recent years, but now it's the robotic nature of his game that's turning people off. I am not afraid to say it but despite being from Belgrade, I am not a Djokovic fan. I would love to be a big Djokovic fan, being from the same city, but he and his teams attitude over the years has me turned the other way, still.

TRENDING THREADS