• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, he was my favourite player, and I had a faint hope that he would be able to make another comeback but it wasn't to be. A quick defeat in the first round where he broke down in tears during the final game.

Imagine if he had not had all those injury woes, and I really think he could have competed with the big three or at least have been as good as Murray.

I will never forget those insane semi-finals he had against Federer in the London Olympics (19-17 in the final set) or against Nadal in Wimbledon 2018. Sad that he lost them both.

Genuinely shocked about Ash Barty's retirement!

But she obviously lost the motivation to continue; has done what she wanted to do....in tennis. Good luck to her in whatever her future pursuits are.
Unexpected, she's only 25. When was the last time a world number 1 retired? But sometimes its refreshing when players retire at their peak powers and we have to respect her decision. Three grand slams - only the US Open escaped her.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
What. I dont think mental health issues are marketing tools in the way she uses it.

I think this is really insensitive.

How are you supposed to act if you do have anxiety but still happens to be one of the world's best tennis players?

I certainly don't see Osaka as some evil, scheming moneymaker but I also didn't know her yearly income was 50 million. That seems excessive, I'll admit.

Medvedev once again failing to take #1 from Djokovic who can't enter the country.

Looks to me like next gen debates will cease very soon. There will be Alcaraz and there will be everyone else. I predicted he'd reach the top 3 this year already but if he wins Miami tomorrow he's already gonna be #2 in the race.

Medvedev once again failing to take #1 from Djokovic who can't enter the country.

Looks to me like next gen debates will cease very soon. There will be Alcaraz and there will be everyone else. I predicted he'd reach the top 3 this year already but if he wins Miami tomorrow he's already gonna be #2 in the race.
Possibly even number 1 if Nole's shenanigans continue. Or you're thinking Nadal at #1?

Possibly even number 1 if Nole's shenanigans continue. Or you're thinking Nadal at #1?
When I predicted it in October it was meant to sound like a flaming hot take. Now I think he's >>50% to finish top 3 in the world, and #1 is certainly possible.

It's not that Alcaraz just had a somewhat lucky run. He literally leads the ATP Tour by game% this year. The benchmark for outstanding years is generally ~60% games won on a surface, if it's on all surface it's even better, and Alcaraz currently sits at 61%. Now granted this stat is a little bit volatile and Alcaraz has the game type that stat pads game% against weak opponents cause he breaks serve so much, but he's also played a bunch of top 10 opponents so it's not like his average opponent has been that weak. In fact, he had a >1.00 dominance ratio vs Nadal, basically indicating he was the slightly better player on average in that match.

I think clay season will likely depend #1. If Nadal has a typical Nadal year he takes it. If he doesn't, Alcaraz might take it. If Djokovic comes back with a vengeance he can put himself in there by just scoring heaps in the Slams.

Medvedev is no bueno IMO. Zverev is Zverev and hasn't gotten better in 5 years. Noone else is close.

Are we even sure Nadal is coming back for the clay season?
He's skipping MC I think, but before RG he always goes from "I am bery injured" to completely fine unless he loses then he was injured all that time.

Nadal doesn't seem to really care about #1, and he'll just have the Slams as his utmost priority.

One importnat note on Alcaraz is that unlike all the other nextgenners he cut down his schedule immediately once he broke through, immediately aiming for big tournaments. That will help him keep up his level throughout the year.

Despite being #2 in the race, Alcaraz isn't even in the top 10 for most matches played.

TRENDING THREADS