• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real Tennis thread.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ChrisE said:
I tried to watch the women's semi's last night but I just couldn't deal with the screaming with Sharapova and the one that beat Clijters.

Now they play eachother. That will be unwatchable....it will sound like one big long scream/grunt during the point. I will not be watching, regardless of how hot Sharapova is. I might tune it for the first few points just to see what it sounds like.

I wish they would outlaw that because it is all BS. Imagine AC or somebody grunting and screaming while climbing from the bottom to the summit. Its ridiculous.

Yep. The two loudest shriekers in women's tennis are meeting in the final.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Is there a possibility that neither Azarenka & Sharapova can win? God I hope so. ;)

Only if an earthquake, flood, tsunami or other natural disaster were to occur. As I've said, I've been a Maria fan since she first appeared at 17, so I'll be hoping that she wins. But, I will be watching with the sound right down or off.:eek:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Only if an earthquake, flood, tsunami or other natural disaster were to occur. As I've said, I've been a Maria fan since she first appeared at 17, so I'll be hoping that she wins. But, I will be watching with the sound right down or off.:eek:
Well I want none of those things as I am only 15-20km's away from the tennis centre. :p

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Well I want none of those things as I am only 15-20km's away from the tennis centre. :p

you can probably hear them from your house (i'm gonna guess altona :p )

edit; lol amsterhammer read my mind (or i just failed to read)

---

some semi final this.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The shrieking will keep the crowd awake, Its going to be another baseline slugfest.

Obviously because they are attractive its better than watching paint dry but if the guys played like that the sport would die very quickly.

Great performance from Nole.

Murray will probably bounce back but he has shown that he is a little ways off the top 3.

A totally free ride into the semis including a walkover with a super super tired 25th seed the only challenge he had.

In his favorite Tournament as well.

AO is always my favourite GS. Always produces great 5 set matches towards the end. Night matches rock too. Everyone is super prepared. Will be a great final. Rafa ftw though.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Thought Murray showed he was very close to the top 3 today myself. Epic match, lots of swings in momentum. He does say USO is his fav tournament, but then he also says clay is his favourite surface, so there you go. Id be surprised to see another spring of shame from him this year.

I'd would have to disagree with you on one thing - after 6 final defeats in a row, across all surfaces, no way is Rafa winning this, its Nole's tournament. Who knows, maybe he will make 6-0 again this year - a double bagel...

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
A totally free ride into the semis including a walkover with a super super tired 25th seed the only challenge he had.

Lol, what challenges did Djokovic face on the way to the semis exactly? An Aussie OAP with a hip replacement?

The Hitch said:
Great performance from Nole.

Murray will probably bounce back but he has shown that he is a little ways off the top 3.

In his favorite Tournament as well.

AO is always my favourite GS. Always produces great 5 set matches towards the end. Night matches rock too. Everyone is super prepared. Will be a great final. Rafa ftw though.

He did just get a new coach only before the start. That means he might progress through the year.
I am glad that the Spaniard Vs Serbian is happening. They both looked to have had bad form but pulled through.

From last night against Murray where Djockovic struggled ( at times )/ maybe not at his best and against Ferrer ( who has the same style as Nadal but is smaller ) i will go for Nadal

richtea said:
Lol, what challenges did Djokovic face on the way to the semis exactly? An Aussie OAP with a hip replacement?

The world number 5. the guy who last year was a challenge to Murray in the semi even after he came off a 5 setter. who knocked out Nadal last year and has knocked hint out at the us too

Nole got the hardest quarter possible, Murray the easiest.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I really think Maria will take it tomorrow, not just by shrieking louder. When she came back from her big shoulder injury her serve was awful, far too many double faults. Her serve is much better than it was at Wimbledon last year and she simply exudes determination. Yup, she'll win it.

I'm always in a bind when Fed isn't in a final, he's the only one of the top 3 that I'm really for. I like Djoko and Nadal equally, so I don't have a favorite. I know what their recent stats are, everything points to another Djoko win, yet I'm going for Rafa. Can't give a sensible reason why, except that he'll be fresher.

What a day for Serbian sport. First Novak, defeating Murray and coming into his 3rd consecutive GS final. Then Serbian waterpolo team destroyed Italy in European champ semi-final, and in the end handballers won against our arch rivals Croatia also in the semis. So 3 finals in Sunday :D

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The world number 5. the guy who last year was a challenge to Murray in the semi even after he came off a 5 setter. who knocked out Nadal last year and has knocked hint out at the us too

Nole got the hardest quarter possible, Murray the easiest.

That was hyperbole - but Fed and Nadal had much harder quarters (Berdych & Del Potro) than Murray & Djokovic - Ferrer isn't a challenge for these players on hard courts (on clay its a different story), check his hard court head to head against them. Murray on paper had the hardest draw - Monfils in R4 & Tsonga in QFs (not that that would have been particularly hard - the top 4 seem to have it very easy these days), but I do agree results went in his favour and got the easiest in the end.

richtea said:
Ferrer isn't a challenge for these players on hard courts (on clay its a different story), check his hard court head to head against them.

Yes he is. Hes more of a challenge than Berdych or even current Del Potro.

Ferrer has been to semis of a gc twice. It was not at the French but on the hard courts. On both occasions he beat Rafa to get there.

Last year in the semis even after the 5 hour match against rafa he took Murray to 4 in a very long and hard game.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
More of a challenge than Berdych - who has been to slam final, beaten Djokovic & Fed on the way, has actually won a Masters series tournament - all things Ferrer has never achieved?

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
the semis even after the 5 hour match against rafa he took Murray to 4 in a very long and hard game.

Most of that '5 hour match' was a MTO! Ferrer won in easy straights against an injured Rafa, and other than the first set, presented no difficulty for Murray. Murray didn't play well all tournament and still walked past him, such is the 'challenge' he represents.

richtea said:
More of a challenge than Berdych - who has been to slam final, beaten Djokovic & Fed on the way, has actually won a Masters series tournament - all things Ferrer has never achieved?

Berdych went to the final in wimbledon 2 years ago. Soderlink has also been to a GS final as has Gonzo but

ATM Ferrer is 5th best like Davydenko was 2 years ago.

Ferrer isnt going to beat the big 4 in a gs when they are on top form his size is his problem so he cant physically crush them off the court but like Santoro he is a nightmare to play against as he plays a long drawn out game which tires you out.

Id take just about anyone other than Tsonga over him for a quarter (big 4 excluded) and Tsonga blows hot and cold sometimes hes good sometimes not so much.

I did make a mistake about the Nadal match last year though. You're right Nadal was injured and Ferrer won easy, wasnt 5 hours.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
you can probably hear them from your house (i'm gonna guess altona :p )

edit; lol amsterhammer read my mind (or i just failed to read)

---

some semi final this.

Lol, not Altona. Other side of the city.:eek:

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Federer desperately needs to see a shrink if he ever wants to beat Nadal again. His form just got worse as the match went on.

Murray needs to tattoo the word 'agression' behind his eyelids, on the back of his hand, maybe on his forehead for a trip to the valley of mirrors. He can beat the top 3 if he stops playing like a ***. The key word here is beat, they won't hand him matches like he seems to hope they will by playing too defensively.

I don't care much for tonights match. Its womens 'tennis', so it'll be slower, less variety of shot and no endurance required. The women should be very grateful they get to play at the same time as the guys or their crowd attendances would be way down.

Rafa v Novak. Gotta go for Novak here. I can't stand watching Rafa play. This business of camping out 3m behind the baseline is just crap to watch. A match of Nadal v Nadal would be a snoozefest, Fed v Fed would be amazing to see. Especially Fed of a few years ago.
As much as I want to see Novak win, he'll need to bring some more energy to the court (or whatever he was sniffing under his towel last night :rolleyes:). Otherwise Rafa will wear him down over 5 sets. As much as I don't like Rafa's gamestyle, it is effective.

TRENDING THREADS