• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The real underdog?

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't see much mention anywhere in the threads--anyone have thoughts on Christian Vandevelde? He hasn't been out of contact on any of the climbs, and has 25 seconds on Schleck Jr. (whom he can out TT).

If I recall from last year, he's one of those "gets stronger in the 3rd week" riders. Has he somehow gotten back enough form to be a challenger for the podium?

I certainly hope so. It's too bad he had that nasty fall at the Giro; this could be one of his last years of top form. I don't think he's in any danger of winning the Tour--even if his build-up had gone as planned--but it would have been nice to see how well he could do against the current field. I've never felt any national attachement to a cyclist, but I kinda do with CVV.

Still, how long before Wiggins takes over leadership of the team? Another year, maybe?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
At this point, Garmin would be better off using Wiggins as their leader. He's already ahead of Vandevelde and has shown he is stronger than two maybe three of the men ahead of him. (not sure about Tony Martin, Is he really that good of a climber?)

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
When has Wiggins proved he can win anything (on the road circuit)? Why would you pass up the guy that finished 4th last year for a sudden upstart who has never proved his climbing ability. He will be out of the top 10 after the first competitive mountain top finish in the Tour.

Clemson Cycling said:
When has Wiggins proved he can win anything (on the road circuit)? Why would you pass up the guy that finished 4th last year for a sudden upstart who has never proved his climbing ability. He will be out of the top 10 after the first competitive mountain top finish in the Tour.

There is likely to be only one competitive mountain top finish in this Tour. The route is garbage.

Wiggins has a good shot at the final top ten. He could very well get out of the Alpes with about the same position he has now. The Verbier stage is not as hard as the Arcalis stage, so he has a good chance of holding his position unless something crazy happens in the Alpine stages without mountain top finishes. He can put in a good time trial, so he might just have to limit his time losses on Ventoux to two or three minutes.

The way Wiggins is riding he may come out ahead of CVV in Paris.

TRENDING THREADS