• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 407 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I think he rode an exemplary first two weeks during the Giro. He certainly didn't lose time due to mental weakness or not being attentive. If it weren't for his technical inability to ride on gravel, he would have been only seconds behind Bernal at the start of the Zoncolan stage.

and he likely does not lose 90 seconds on Zoncolon if he didn't have to waste energy after being dropped on the descent of the first major climb. He was nearly a minute down at the end of the first descent.

HIs positioning cost him that giro, not his overall level. He ended up going kablammo by wasting energy

and he likely does not lose 90 seconds on Zoncolon if he didn't have to waste energy after being dropped on the descent of the first major climb. He was nearly a minute down at the end of the first descent.

HIs positioning cost him that giro, not his overall level. He ended up going kablammo by wasting energy

I disagree. Positioning and tactical awareness is not his problem. If you are the strongest man in the race and feel like a million dollars it's not that difficult to ride on the front day after day and attack in the right spots.

Certainly, Remco didn't help himself on some stages in that Giro, but I don't think toughness - mental or physical - was the issue, he seems plenty able to torture himself on the bike; and his many successful attacks show he knows what's going on in a race too. I think his failure (and it was a failure regardless of the circumstances) in the Giro was all due to inadequate preparation and form.

Maybe I misunderstood?
I think so, yeah. The discussion started by that question on RAI, but we were discussing whether he was ''mentally tough'' enough (stay at the front, be vigilant and attentive etc) to ride 3 weeks for GC. considering he hasn't ridden for 3 weeks, that remains to be seen but he has shown he can do it for 2 weeks (Giro) so far. It is just one of many conditions that needs to be met to become a GT contender, it's not the key to beat Pogacar as you seem to think we were saying.

Don't know if they're gonna be taking Vansevenant to his second GT in the same year already, especially since he didn't exactly set the world ablaze in the Giro. Not sure they're gonna be taking Cavendish either. That seems like overkill, considering they already want to go for GC with Evenepoel and i assume stages with Alaphilippe. To go for sprints with Cav as well seems a bit much. It would also make little sense considering next year's sponsors have come out and flat out said they want to start building a GC team.

I'd take Evenepoel, Alaphilippe, Van Wilder, Masnada, Devenyns, Vervaeke, Cerny & Cavagna.

Serry first reserve.

That seems like a well balanced team that can help both Evenepoel and Alaphilippe, and it makes sense considering none of them have done a GT so far this year.

Don't know if they're gonna be taking Vansevenant to his second GT in the same year already, especially since he didn't exactly set the world ablaze in the Giro. Not sure they're gonna be taking Cavendish either. That seems like overkill, considering they already want to go for GC with Evenepoel and i assume stages with Alaphilippe. To go for sprints with Cav as well seems a bit much. It would also make little sense considering next year's sponsors have come out and flat out said they want to start building a GC team.

I'd take Evenepoel, Alaphilippe, Van Wilder, Masnada, Devenyns, Vervaeke, Cerny & Cavagna.

Serry first reserve.

That seems like a well balanced team that can help both Evenepoel and Alaphilippe, and it makes sense considering none of them have done a GT so far this year.

i would like lampaert and cattaneo in there just for the TTT.

i would like lampaert and cattaneo in there just for the TTT.
I don't think that's necessary. These are actually 8 very good TT'ers. Even Masnada, Devenyns and Vervaeke, who are probably the weakest links, are capable of a decent TT. You would be swapping out much needed mountain support. Alaphilippe, Evenepoel, Cavagna have all won WT TT's. Van Wilder and Cerny have top 5's and with a better bike, Van Wilder could have won the 2021 Dauphiné and Romandie TT's.

sorry....who is Il Magnifico ? Also I had hoped they would reinforce Remco more instead of trying to add Cavendish.
Masnada

Last edited:

Serry first reserve.

What about Big Tim? I guess Cerny and Cavagna could share that work.