• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 452 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
He was a bit too confident I think. When Mas and Lopez attacked he shouldve let Roglic pace instead, said “Mas is your competitor, not mine”. But losing only 15 seconds to Roglic is good. Looked better than yesterday, now some easier days before the last mountains - so the pain from the crash should be better next time they will climb.

Reactions: Monte Serra
He still has enough margin to ensure victory. But the team is faltering. >20 k alone in lead is not good team work
Excellent point and IMO why Roglic stalked him while Mas was slightly up the road. Each day will make that situation tougher for DQS. Roglic needs to use everyone to get to stage 20 while conserving energy whenever possible to have a chance. He's doing that and Remco is admirably maintaining a precious lead.
This is getting to be a great Vuelta.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Listening to the post race interview, it sounds like the crash bothered him more than he made it seem.
Judging by the bowling ball on his hip, I'd assume so. The fact that he was able to withstand the onslaught with it, knowing he'd be targeted heavily after losing time the day before, speaks volumes about his mentality. Remains to be seen whether he'll win the entire thing, but he'll have no regrets about the outcome.

Looked way better than yesterday, I wouldn't have bet on him loosing less time (to Roglic) today than he did yesterday. That said, I'm still not convinced that he could handle a 3rd week with hard mountain stages, at least not with the current approach that Quickstep and his coaches seem to have (starting the first race after a training block like a bat out of hell).

Judging by the bowling ball on his hip, I'd assume so. The fact that he was able to withstand the onslaught with it, knowing he'd be targeted heavily after losing time the day before, speaks volumes about his mentality. Remains to be seen whether he'll win the entire thing, but he'll have no regrets about the outcome.
IMO the mental thing is a bit overblown when it comes to injuries that prevent you from pushing your usual numbers.

Reactions: spalco
Good ride by Evenepoel...much stronger than I thought. Roglic only 15 seconds better and Quickstep is riding a more intelligent race than Jumbo Visma. Jumbo not really strong enough to hurt Remco. I think it was smart of Remco to lead the way cause it seemed to drain Roglic to the point where he just tried in desperation to gain 15 seconds towards the very end. I'm very surprised that O'Connor rode pretty strong. I also believe that in the week coming Remco will put more time on both Mas and Roglic. Would it have made a difference if Masnada hadn't crashed? I wonder. Anyway...Go Remco Go!!! You're almost there

Dare i say his bad day was due to his crash?. not sure how good he is now, but seems a lot better than yesterday.

I dunno if it was only because of the crash but it looks that it was a one-off weakness. Definitely way better today than yesterday and possibly even stronger than Roglic (despite losing time). His only mistake was that he didn't try to persuade Primoz to cooperate on the shallower section (probably no time loss then).

TRENDING THREADS