The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pretty much.

I'd still say don't blindly expect a GC cause Pogacar did, but it makes no sense not to ride one. Lefevre talks about winning a 55km WCITT but OMG GT IS TOO HARD
Not sure how a 1h10m effort can be compared to a 3 week GT though.

I also think he won't surpass or even meet Pogacar's Vuelta (maybe not by a long shot). But i also think this years opposition in the Vuelta was nothing short of weak. There were only 4 actual contenders, and none of them would have been able to make the top 5 in the TDF, other than maybe Roglic.

Not sure how a 1h10m effort can be compared to a 3 week GT though.

I also think he won't surpass or even meet Pogacar's Vuelta (maybe not by a long shot). But i also think this years opposition in the Vuelta was nothing short of weak. There were only 4 actual contenders, and none of them would have been able to make the top 5 in the TDF, other than maybe Roglic.
Tour field that finished was also weak tbh. Id rate Pog a lot higher tham a Kruijswijk tbh.

Basically the old guard is on the way out, 2 top dogs crash out of all GTs, only 2 guys do really well in 2 GTs, so overall the fields look suspect this year

KZD

Feb 21, 2019
Tour seems to be out, according to the article.
I don't think the Tour (at least the whole 3 weeks) makes sense considering that he is making the Olympics one of his major goals next season.

The Vuelta would be the best choice although he would probably arrive too tired at the Worlds but considering that this is an Olympic season I don't think he would mind much.

Curious to see if he races some Ardennes classics as well

Tour field that finished was also weak tbh. Id rate Pog a lot higher tham a Kruijswijk tbh.

Basically the old guard is on the way out, 2 top dogs crash out of all GTs, only 2 guys do really well in 2 GTs, so overall the fields look suspect this year
Can't agree. Did you see who finished 2nd in the Vuelta? Obviously Pogacar's ceiling will be considerably higher than Kruijswijk's, but he wouldn't have finished better in TDF.

I don't need to compare Vuelta Valverde to TDF Valverde. I know Valverde and what he's capable of. Even in a weak TDF field, there is no way he'd come remotely close to a podium at 39. I stand by my assessment, that the Vuelta had an immensely weak field. If next year's is similar, maybe Remco can target a top 10 spot. If he can take another step in his development by then, who knows. I think the main pitfalls for him will be to conserve energy, and to stay upright.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DNP-Old Professional road racing 41

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts