• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Lnsm13G.jpg

For interested non-Dutch speakers, I'd happily translate.

Re: Re:

Here is some coverage from september 2017, before the WC. Not sure if it can be seen outside Europe or even Belgium, but nevertheless:

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/sporten/v-wielrennen/WK_Wielrennen/1.3068944

It's also in Dutch

classicomano said:
Yes please, everything. Id love to know more about him.

I'll help you (both) get started:

"I dream of the Belgian, European and Rainbow jersey"

Remco Evenepoel crushes opposition in the world's hardest Junior race.

Remco Evenepoel isn't quite normal. The 18 year old from Schepdaal isn't merely the first Belgian to win the "Peace Race" in the Czech Republic, he also managed to keep the hardest Junior race in a stranglehold for four out of five days. In the final stage, the former youth international of Anderlecht stretched his legs during a 50 kilometer solo. Breathtaking. "I just wanted to win the hardest race (/tour) in my age bracket."

Not a single Belgian ever preceded him. Jasper Stuyven managed a fourth place eight years ago. Dutch supertalent Mathieu van der Poel finished third in 2013, behind Mads Pedersen, runner up at this year's Ronde van Vlaanderen. Winning the Peace Race doesn't guarantee a carreer among the world's best pros, but looking at the top ten of the last few years, you'll often find the crème de la crème (best of the best). Kwiatkowski won twice in a row, the last time in front of Sagan and Eliot Lietaer.

Impressive

"Wow, that was something else, what Remco managed", says Eddy Merckx, who has been keeping tabs on the achievements of the former Sporting Anderlecht left fullback. "I can't remember us ever having such a strong Junior. In the Belgian timetrial championships last week in Vresse-sur-Semois, he was eight seconds faster than the national Espoirs champion with a smaller gear (42x25). That was pretty telling, but this is something else entirely. In the Czech Republic, the best Juniors in the world were gathered. Remco will be in good hands next year, at Hagens Berman Axeon, the team of my son Axel."
Evenepoel is flattered by Merckx's appreciation of his performances. But he doesn't like it when people start comparing him to the "All-time Greatest". "Merckx is Merckx. Please just let me be the new Evenepoel".

More impressive

Evenepoel, studying sports psychology, hasn't forgotten about last years criticisms. "They said Belgium's Juniors weren't at all competitive internationally. Well, this is our answer. Belgium is the best ranked country and myself, i'm number one in the world. I see this as confirmation that i can compete at the highest level. Timetrialing and climbing are my thing (Evenepoel is 1.70m and weighs 62kg). In the Czech Republic, we had a lot of that. I hope to retain my number one spot for some time. The next clash is on may 19th & may 20th, at the Trophée Centre Morbihan, were there will be another timetrial. Along with the national team, we'll be training for four days in Les Vosges. After that, it won't be long before the nationals (Belgian Championships) in Les Lacs de l'Eau d'Heures."
Evenepoel is blazing through the Juniors. Last sunday was his tenth victory in only fourteen racedays. All the while he only started racing in April of last year. Before that, he was captain of the U17 of Anderlecht, and also reached the national (football) selection. But not unlike Greg Van Avermaet (who played for SK Beveren) after being benched and sick of the game, he said farewell to football for good. "I haven't regret it for a second", is all he has to say about it.

Most impressive

As soon as January, Evenepoel was invited as a second year Junior for an internship at Quick Step Floors. Just to get a taste.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
13/05 SINT-MARTENS BODEGEM
1 EVENEPOEL REMCO ACROG-PAUWELS SAUZEN - BALEN BC BEL20000125 2H45´02"
2 VAN WILDER ILAN VAN MOER LOGISTICS CYCLING TEAM BEL20000514 +4´52"
3 VERHULST RUBEN VD HAUWE CT - GENTSE VS BEL20000908 +7´10"
4 DE PAUW LEN ROYAL CUREGHEM SPORTIEF VZW BEL20000516 +7´10"
5 DE MESMAEKER TIBO FORTE U19 CYCLING TEAM BEL20000317 +7´10"
6 THIELEMANS ROBBE DE DIJLESPURTERS V.V. MECHELEN V.Z.W. BEL20010509 +7´10"
7 WILLEMS JAGO WIELERCLUB "ONDER ONS - PARIKE" VZW BEL20011112 +7´10"
8 WALLYN TIBO PIE-OPTIEK THEORIE-BLOKKEN CT GLABBEEK BEL20011122 +7´10"
9 VAN BELLIGEN GERRIT KTC-CYCLING TEAM BEL20001203 +7´10"
10 DENS TUUR DAVO CYCLING TEAM - TONGEREN BEL20000626 +7´20"

:D

Evenepoel destroying another big international race, Trophée Centre Morbihan (Nations Cup). Attacked from almost 100k out with an Italian rider and just went solo with 30k to go. Peloton is trailing over 3 minutes behind and keeps on losing ground :D

Edit: missed the result mentioned above. Gotta love him.

Re:

Flamin said:
Evenepoel destroying another big international race, Trophée Centre Morbihan (Nations Cup). Attacked from almost 100k out with an Italian rider and just went solo with 30k to go. Peloton is trailing over 3 minutes behind and keeps on losing ground :D
I'm following it on DirectVelo as well. This is so hilarious.

He attacked 20k after the start just because he wanted to test his legs, they felt good. He went on the attack with Piccolo and they cooperated nicely. At 50k from the finish, when the advantage was 2 minute, he knew he had won. Piccolo was the only one who came close, finishing somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes. The peloton finished two minutes later.

1 EVENEPOEL Remco Belgique BEL les 123 km en 2h53'57'' (moy. 42.426 km/h)
2 * PICCOLO Andrea Italie ITA 03'26''
3 * SYVERSEN Preben Norvège NOR 04'12''
4 ACCO Alessio Italie ITA '
5 FEDOROV Yevgeniy Kazakhstan KAZ '
6 BRAET Vito Belgique BEL '
7 PARISINI Nicolo' Italie ITA '
8 BARSOV Aleksandr Russie RUS '
9 SANDER HANSEN Marcus Danemark DEN '
10 HEIDUK Kim Alexander Allemagne GER '

Waerenskjold is probably the only junior one up there with Evenepoel when it comes to TT's, so it was always a possibility. I have a feeling he's going to make it a show again on todays 1st category climb. Stage is only 100k, so a solo is very much possible.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
Waerenskjold is probably the only junior one up there with Evenepoel when it comes to TT's, so it was always a possibility. I have a feeling he's going to make it a show again on todays 1st category climb. Stage is only 100k, so a solo is very much possible.

He's like 4 minutes ahead in GC. No need to take the p*ss with the others guys ;)

Re:

DNP-Old said:

In the TT in the Czech Republic, he won with less than a second in front of Mattias Skjelmose Jensen.
Seems like a De Gendt on speed. Hope he doesn't cultivate the same fear of riding in the peloton as the latter, with his way of racing.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
DNP-Old said:

In the TT in the Czech Republic, he won with less than a second in front of Mattias Skjelmose Jensen.
Yes, I know that, but that is a way too small sample size. Unless you think Campenaerts is on Dennis' level because they finished in the same time in the Giro. Skjelmose isn't on their level. 13th in Niedersachsen, 5th in Danish national championships, 52nd in Pays de Vaud, 27th in Course de la Paix 2017, 4th in Rüebliland.

DNP-Old said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
DNP-Old said:

Yes, I know that, but that is a way too small sample size. Unless you think Campenaerts is on Dennis' level because they finished in the same time in the Giro. Skjelmose isn't on their level. 13th in Niedersachsen, 5th in Danish national championships, 52nd in Pays de Vaud, 27th in Course de la Paix 2017, 4th in Rüebliland.

You claimed it was always a possibility, that he wouldn't win the ITT. This ITT was even shorter than the one he barely won against Skjelmose of which you claim the sample size is too small. So obviously it was always a possibility and the ITT in Course de la Paix is rather relevant.

No need for dumb remarks.

Mar 27, 2018
Visit site
There is a nice interview with him on the sporza site: http://m.sporza.be/#!/snippet/5b0594bcb5a1be4054d81ffa
Translation:
Remco Evenepoel is the big sensation with the juniors this year. ‘I weigh 8 kg less than when I was a footballer at Anderlecht. I want to lose a few more kilos before the World Championships.

For years he was a big footballtalent at Anderlecht. This season Remco Evenepoel excels riding at junior level. ‘On the bike I want to become the best’ says Evenepoel. ‘At Anderlecht I was put on the bench and I didn’t play with the national team anymore. I didn’t enjoy football anymore.’
‘The first three months I suffered enormously while training on the bike. My muscles had to ajust to training on the bike. I sustained small injuries to my groins and hamstrings, because my miscles got longer and thinner.’
Evenepoel lost a lot of weight riding his bike. ‘I lost 8 kg since I stopped with football. As a cyclist you have to be thin to be able to follow uphill.’
What type of cyclist is Evenepoel? ‘Currently it looks like I’ll become a stage racer. And I hope so. As a child I had a lot of respect for Alberto Contador, a stage racer with a good TT.’
‘My big goal this season is the WC in Innsbruck. It’s a race with a lot of climbing. I now weigh 62 kg, by then I want to have lost a few more kilos.’
Next season Remco Evenepoel will join the team of Axel Merckx (Hagens Berman). ‘That will be a learning experience. I’ll ride the TOC and the Tour of Utah.’
Among the pro teams, Evenepoel has the best contacts with Quickstep. ‘I couldn’t believe my ears when my dad told me that Quickstep had called to invite me to a training camp in Calpe in january. I knew Laurens de Plus. He doesn’t live far from me. And Yves Lampaert has become a good friend. I got a lot of tips from riders, mechanics and caretakers.They were very concerned with me.’

I’m really excited to see him among WT riders in the TOC next year, but maybe it’s a bit too early to really show anything.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.3202369

Podcast with Remco. He sounds like a down-to-earth guy but with enormous ambition: he's very serious about training, nutrition etc. and he simply wants to be the best.

Apparently he's already been on a training camp with Quick Step this winter and they provide him with bikes and stuff.

Says he sees himself as a stage racer (Tour, Giro and Vuelta) and not a classics guy. As a kid he looked up to Contador. He's dropped 8 kg since he quit soccer and he wants to keep on losing weight for his big goal this year, the Worlds, and in general of course to become a better climber. He felt really at ease uphill in the Peace Race when the other guys started attacking.

Next year with Axeon he'll probably ride California and Utah.

Edit: this Sunday the national champs road race in the Ardennes. I'm going with a 70k solo :cool:

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hope, this kid will succeed. Just I am not sure whether it will be possible for him to fully develope climbing skills since I remember in past I read a study in which the conclusion was, that you can become great sprinter/rouler even if you begin late, but not climber... .

Re:

Flamin said:

Podcast with Remco. He sounds like a down-to-earth guy but with enormous ambition: he's very serious about training, nutrition etc. and he simply wants to be the best.

Apparently he's already been on a training camp with Quick Step this winter and they provide him with bikes and stuff.

Says he sees himself as a stage racer (Tour, Giro and Vuelta) and not a classics guy. As a kid he looked up to Contador. He's dropped 8 kg since he quit soccer and he wants to keep on losing weight for his big goal this year, the Worlds, and in general of course to become a better climber. He felt really at ease uphill in the Peace Race when the other guys started attacking.

Edit: this Sunday the national champs road race in the Ardennes. I'm going with a 70k solo :cool:
Define starting late?

Red Rick said:
Flamin said:

Define starting late?

I guess you misquoted and your question is directed to lartiste?

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

Red Rick said:
Flamin said:

Define starting late?

Fair question, I will try to find out the article.

TRENDING THREADS