• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Koronin said:
He's a 19 year old rookie. He should be working for his teammates to learn. He'll still get his opportunities, but right now he needs to learn.
Sure, but not if it means forfaiting his podium and green jersey. That's my take. And he shouldn't have to carry that responsibility alone as a rookie.

He shouldn't have to carry that alone, however, when you send a "split" team to a race which QS does unless they are only going for a sprinter, even a rookie is going to have more responsibility and then when you loose a rider it's also not going to help.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
He's a 19 year old rookie. He should be working for his teammates to learn. He'll still get his opportunities, but right now he needs to learn.
Sure, but not if it means forfaiting his podium and green jersey. That's my take. And he shouldn't have to carry that responsibility alone as a rookie.

Ala had the lead going into the stage and they didnt really have anyone else to help him. Remco to provide help on the last climb I dont find weird. Although, it is putting a lot of pressure on a young guy to chase and bring back all attacks. Now they had the lead with Ala going into it so not much else to do. It just didnt work. No big deal.

If anyone should take the blame it is the DS for the lack of communication between all parties on what happened. In the end Ala was also spent, so water under bridge.

Life goes on. Remco is very talented and will be great hopefully.

Video interview (with summary) in Dutch: https://sporza.be/nl/2019/02/04/evenepoel-na-san-juan/

He's very happy with his first week. Especially proud of his podium in the ITT. Proud he could work for Alaphilippe, very happy with the green jersey. On the last day he tried to attack to take some bonification time for his jersey, but they closed the gap (that probably also never happened to him before, lol) and right after, he had a flat front and rear tyre. After he came back in the peloton, he had to keep an eye on Mäder to make sure he wouldn't attack his green jersey.

About the UAE tour, his performance in Argentina gives him confidence and works motivating, but he's aware the climbs will be ridden harder in the UAE tour, but on the other hand, they will be harder, and he thinks they will suit him better. He doesn't want to make any predictions.

wheresmybrakes said:
Logic is gonna have a meltdown when Remco wins his first pro race. You're not his mother by any chance are you? :lol:
If you guys would rather not have the info, that's cool. I'll just stop posting so much. I'm not doing this for myself, i already read all of it in Dutch. But earlier in the thread, people specifically asked to be kept in the loop. But if you think it's too much, fair enough.

Regarding his performances, i think my opinion has been rather level-headed compared to that of others in the topic. But sure, i'm excited to see where he's going. As a Belgian, it's a nice change from having only guys for cyclocross and spring classics.

wheresmybrakes said:
Logic is gonna have a meltdown when Remco wins his first pro race. You're not his mother by any chance are you? :lol:
If you guys would rather not have the info, that's cool. I'll just stop posting so much. I'm not doing this for myself, i already read all of it in Dutch. But earlier in the thread, people specifically asked to be kept in the loop. But if you think it's too much, fair enough.

Regarding his performances, i think my opinion has been rather level-headed compared to that of others in the topic. But sure, i'm excited to see where he's going. As a Belgian, it's a nice change from having only guys for cyclocross and spring classics.

Unfortunately your posts haven't been level-headed - Your posts want Evenepoel to forget he is part of a team and chase individual glory - Try riding as an individual and you get no results.

wheresmybrakes said:

I for one enjoyed the posts from the media and his interviews witch i dont get very often in my part of the world. even if it did would be nearly impossible to understand...

yaco said:
Unfortunately your posts haven't been level-headed - Your posts want Evenepoel to forget he is part of a team and chase individual glory - Try riding as an individual and you get no results.

lol, maybe try reading more than one post/discussion, where i said calling him back to pull, hence endanger his youth jersey and forfaiting his podium spot, was a stupid move by Quickstep, before making claims about "my posts". (I specifically said "regarding his performance, and this had nothing to do with his performance, but with team orders/strategy).

But thanks for the feedback. :eek:

Jungle Cycle said:
I for one enjoyed the posts from the media and his interviews witch i dont get very often in my part of the world. even if it did would be nearly impossible to understand...

I'll try to find a balance.

yaco said:

lol, maybe try reading more than one post/discussion, where i said calling him back to pull, hence endanger his youth jersey and forfaiting his podium spot, was a stupid move by Quickstep, before making claims about "my posts". (I specifically said "regarding his performance, and this had nothing to do with his performance, but with team orders/strategy).

Jungle Cycle said:

Yes - Criticising QS' tactics because they correctly supported an in-form leader to win GC which is more important than a youth jersey is showing logic.

yaco said:
yaco said:

Jungle Cycle said:

Yes - Criticising QS' tactics because they correctly supported an in-form leader to win GC which is more important than a youth jersey is showing logic.

Indeed. Unfortunately, just one you don't seem to be able to grasp. Let me help you with that.

Hypothesis 1: Calling Evenepoel back to do the work alone will bring Alaphilippe back to Anacona (and Conti), or close enough to bridge/keep the overall. But in this case, assuming Evenepoel is this strong, Evenepoel's chances of closing in on Anacona, are even greater if he can share the work in the chasing group, which was give or take already 10 seconds ahead of the peloton and closer to Anacona. In this case Evenepoel never endangers his jersey, never forfaits his GC, and if indeed he is as good as QuickStep is betting on, he can become the new leader, he's ahead of Anacona in GC. He's only 22 seconds behind Alaphilippe at this moment. In the peloton, there may be other teams that have to take responsibility and do the work for Alaphilippe anyway since Alaphilippe has Evenepoel up ahead. If Alaphilippe is as "in-form" as you claim, he could also bridge the gap to Evenepoels groep and drop 90% of the peloton.

Hypothesis 2: Evenepoel is not strong enough to close the gap or make a noticable dent in the lead Anacona has taken. In this case, calling him back to pull for Alaphilippe is basically useless. You only endanger his own youth jersey and classification. Alaphilppe stands to gain nothing.

So given the fact that Evenepoel is only 22s behind Alaphilippe, you have to make a decision. Either Evenepoel is strong enough, or he's not. If he's strong enough, just let him ride with the lead he already has, making other teams in the Alaphilippe group having to do the work. Making him possibly gain the most (doing no work and letting other teams bridge), or if not, having Evenepoel up front to take over. Or Evenepoel is not strong enough, calling him back gains you nothing, you only lose everything. What do you do? What do you think is more logical?

Nobody expected him to be in the top 10. 1st race can't be perfect and right now is too early to predict. It took Sagan a lot longer
Sagan won 1st protour stage when he was 20 but he only won the WC when he was 25
Van der poel won CX WC when he was 20.
Mohoric has been a pro since he was 19 but has only started to win consistently in 2018 at 23. There has been a lot of news about his talent but no results to boast of. He was simply too young as he himself has stated.
It all depends on the type of rider. Considering that he is a GC guy, it will be a lot longer and a lot lesser.
Evenpoel vs Bernal is what i am looking forward to 5 years down the line. But i donot think he will be with DQS till that time.
But currently with DQS he at least has a chance for leadership without support at the biggest races compared to Movi or Sky.

wheresmybrakes said:

Personally I am enjoying these updates very much. Remco looks a phenomenal talent.

TRENDING THREADS