• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Nah, I mostly agree with red_flanders here. Calling a GT GC winner a rouleur is ridiculous.

But then, Remco isn't a champion yet, he isn't a TTer or a Puncheur, so I think for now, "rouleur" fits, but that could change soon.
So... as soon as a rouleur starts winning races or gets his status upgraded within the team, he's no longer a rouleur? Strange. But indeed, doesn't really matter. Either way is fine by me.

Wow he finished on the podium and even won! Very impressive. Now everyone will understand why his fellow breakaway riders cannot stay on his wheel. ;)

A bit scary to think about his future potential now...

He dedicated his win to Bjorg Lambrecht and Stef Loos (his former teammate).

54b92da7b8f83186f2ab607aa6e94c16.jpg

Another superb performance by Remco Evenepoel.
Not only did he win, he actually did it with a big margin in a flat TT. I know that the rivals weren't the strongest but I don't think many could have beaten him today...
Can't wait for the Worlds.

Even if this would be his last good performance of the year, what would you guys consider a successful 2020 for him?
Big one week race with (semi) high mountains should be a big goal next year. He has shown big improvements this year, now it's time to take it to the cols. Still have to take this thing with baby steps and not get carried away. But not a hair on my head is afraid Pat will do so.

will QS have him race a grand tour next year? With his power on the flats, get him on a TT heavy course he may contend
Don't expect a first time GTer to ride for GC. Especially considering Evenepoel hasn't had any great performances on the big climbs yet.

Pick 2 of Tirreno/PN/Cata/Itzulia next year, add Ardennes, see what happens. Then slowly build towards Vuelta imo. If the other stage races go well, consider the option of going for GC but don't stress the hell out about it.

Don't expect a first time GTer to ride for GC. Especially considering Evenepoel hasn't had any great performances on the big climbs yet.

Pick 2 of Tirreno/PN/Cata/Itzulia next year, add Ardennes, see what happens. Then slowly build towards Vuelta imo. If the other stage races go well, consider the option of going for GC but don't stress the hell out about it.

A hypothetical question. Even though he is unlikely to ride the tour next year, if his form is such that QS sends him there, what would happen if he attacked on the Turini? Would the GC favorites chase him down, or would they risk giving him a 10 minute lead after stage 2?

A hypothetical question. Even though he is unlikely to ride the tour next year, if his form is such that QS sends him there, what would happen if he attacked on the Turini? Would the GC favorites chase him down, or would they risk giving him a 10 minute lead after stage 2?
He wouldn't get 10 minutes on an army of domestiques. This isn't the juniors. And if he did anyway it wouldn't matter cause he'd win anyway

I think riders/teams would have to be a special kind of stupid to let this kid get 10 minutes–for them to assume he won't be able to climb with the best is a...questionable assumption IMO.

I think he will make the Olympics his biggest objective of the season or at least one of the bigger ones and then if his performance in the early one week World Tour races was good maybe Vuelta followed by the World Championships.

Reactions: kiszol and Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS