• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Interesting. In an earlier article from last year, posted here in the thread, it was 82. I'm not exactly an expert, so i don't know which number is likely to be more correct or if one doesn't exclude the other and which things (other than weight) could explain those differences.

PS: the article does confirm what i've always said, Remco has an extreme low Cda value. Personally i think this also a factor why other riders suffer in his wheel. Furthermore, his 10 to 20 efforts are extremely good and Remco believes his biggest weapon is being able to accelerate while in full effort.

Last edited:
I think those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. I once saw somebody write the following very wise thing about a high VO2_max value:

It's a necessary ticket to elite cycling but not the best determinant for performance when you've got there.
2 things about VO2 max

It's a great indicator for efforts between 3 and 8 minutes. And it doesn't say anything about how you react to fatigue, etc. For an endurance cyclist, the lactate threshold would be much more important.

VO2 max varies a lot depending on which equipment you use in the testing.

Listed as 173.

Evenepoel seems to have wider shoulders than hips which helps being aero I think. And it's typically the super lanky climbers who just eat wind on a TT bike.
I think Evenepoel shares some physical traits with Campenaerts in that regard, who also is just 1m73. I remember Campenaerts was able to push 100w less and still beat Wiggins comfortably in his World Hour Record attempt. Being Aero definitely helps.

I think Evenepoel shares some physical traits with Campenaerts in that regard, who also is just 1m73. I remember Campenaerts was able to push 100w less and still beat Wiggins comfortably in his World Hour Record attempt. Being Aero definitely helps.
Altitude too tho.

In theory the capacity for oxygen consumption should only really be limited by heart/lung capicity, so chest size rather than full body size. Think shorter athletes should also have a slight advantage that the blood needs to travel shorter distances.

Should we consider Evenepoel as the top favourite for the WC ITT if he maintains his current form? When I look at his TT results earlier this year, I don't that see that many threats. Roglic could top him if he finds his top form, but who else? Dumoulin and Van Aert will not take part. I guess Rohan Dennis won't hit top form this season either. He has already beaten Campenaerts (national championships), Küng, Asgreen, Affini and Ganna (EC). Who is left to challenge him on a hilly course? Alaphilippe? Thomas? Porte? Uran? Will these guys even ride the ITT?

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges
Should we consider Evenepoel as the top favourite for the WC ITT if he maintains his current form? When I look at his TT results earlier this year, I don't that see that many threats. Roglic could top him if he finds his top form, but who else? Dumoulin and Van Aert will not take part. I guess Rohan Dennis won't hit top form this season either. He has already beaten Campenaerts (national championships), Küng, Asgreen, Affini and Ganna (EC). Who is left to challenge him on a hilly course? Alaphilippe? Thomas? Porte? Uran? Will these guys even ride the ITT?

Never know. The question is as always is distance. The parcours seems to favor Remco but the length is one of the longest ITTs in the modern era. We could be looking at around an hour and 8 minutes as the winning time.

The distance should favor him as well.

Would be an incredible cap to the year, but one never knows how these things will go.

Reactions: TMP402
The ITT is a major goal for Thomas:

Reactions: GuntherL
Roglic will be tired from the vuelta so I really think he has a chance of winning because this WC is going to miss some tough opponents. Is beyond me, thinking in a teenager as world champion specially in time trials.

How humiliating that will be for Thomas, getting his ass kicked by a 19 year old!

(I kid, i kid)
I don't think Thomas will win tbh. Evenepoel and Roglic are better on paper...

edit: forgot about Campenaerts. Him, too.

Roglic will be tired from the vuelta so I really think he has a chance of winning because this WC is going to miss some tough opponents. Is beyond me, thinking in a teenager as world champion specially in time trials.
Evenepoel has a chance of winning, regardless.

The 2019 Vuelta is a joke, even by Vuelta standards. The ITT will decide the overall winner, most likely... I don't think Roglic will be too tired.

Last edited:

Why would Evenepoel be better on paper? Because he won the EC ITT against a B-tier field, over a 23km flat course?

I think he has a shot at a top 5, with Thomas, Roglic and Campenaerts likely better on this longer course. Campenaerts knows this might be his only shot without Dumoulin, Van Aert, Froome and Dennis not in the best state of mind. But i wouldn't be surprised if the course proves to be too hard for Evenepoel yet, and finishes well outside of the top 10.

Evenepoel has a chance of winning, regardless.

The 2019 Vuelta is a joke, even by Vuelta standards. The ITT will decide the overall winner, most likely... I don't think Roglic will be too tired.
So you know what the race is going to look like even before the start?! Interesting.. :rolleyes:

Why would Evenepoel be better on paper? Because he won the EC ITT against a B-tier field, over a 23km flat course?

I think he has a shot at a top 5, with Thomas, Roglic and Campenaerts likely better on this longer course. Campenaerts knows this might be his only shot without Dumoulin, Van Aert, Froome and Dennis not in the best state of mind. But i wouldn't be surprised if the course proves to be too hard for Evenepoel yet, and finishes well outside of the top 10.

Important nuance: Evenepoel didn't just win the EC ITT, he crushed everyone. And on a course that normally doesn't favour him very well.

Maybe pacing might pose a bit of a problem on a 54km course since he hasn't done any of such length, but apart from that, the rolling terrain is good for him and he has a huge engine. I fully expect him on the podium now that so many guys are absent or not in top shape.

Btw, is Campenaerts even back at it? I remember reading a while ago that he even was in doubt about riding the Worlds ITT.

Important nuance: Evenepoel didn't just win the EC ITT, he crushed everyone. And on a course that normally doesn't favour him very well.

Maybe pacing might pose a bit of a problem on a 54km course since he hasn't done any of such length, but apart from that, the rolling terrain is good for him and he has a huge engine. I fully expect him on the podium now that so many guys are absent or not in top shape.

Btw, is Campenaerts even back at it? I remember reading a while ago that he even was in doubt about riding the Worlds ITT.
I read last week that Campenaerts needed a top 8 in order to be able to go. I assume he will want to go. Should be rested by now.

TRENDING THREADS