• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
PS: the article does confirm what i've always said, Remco has an extreme low Cda value. Personally i think this also a factor why other riders suffer in his wheel. Furthermore, his 10 to 20 efforts are extremely good and Remco believes his biggest weapon is being able to accelerate while in full effort.
I remember reading an interview with a Trek rider a few years back who said that when organizing the lineup for the TTT, the one wheel nobody wanted was Cancellara’s. Not because he was the fastest, but because he had the least slipstream.

I think the biggest challenge for him will be getting the pacing right across a time trial nearly twice as long as the effort in the Belgian nationals.

He certainly has the motor and is used to solo efforts but it would be easy to let youthful exuberance take over and push too hard early on and fade.

Just because it now feels that he might be able to win it should still be recognised that a top 5 would still be an outstanding result as a 19 year old neopro.

I think the biggest challenge for him will be getting the pacing right across a time trial nearly twice as long as the effort in the Belgian nationals.

He certainly has the motor and is used to solo efforts but it would be easy to let youthful exuberance take over and push too hard early on and fade.

Just because it now feels that he might be able to win it should still be recognised that a top 5 would still be an outstanding result as a 19 year old neopro.
70% of his junior races were time trials of 100 km... his engine is tremendous, I'm not worry

If Evenepoel wins it people are gonna freak. o_O

I would be shocked if he does. I'm fully on board of the Remco hype-train, but he can't keep his form forever. And while he was very impressive (mildly put) in the EC, it's a different field and different parcours in the WC.

Top 10 would be a success already imo, anything more amazing, and if it's less no reason for concern either.

I would be shocked if he does. I'm fully on board of the Remco hype-train, but he can't keep his form forever. And while he was very impressive (mildly put) in the EC, it's a different field and different parcours in the WC.

Top 10 would be a success already imo, anything more amazing, and if it's less no reason for concern either.
Yes, i agree. A couple of months ago i said he should be happy with a top 20 or something. But obviously that was before San Sebastian and the EC.

Regardless, a WC is not an EC. While he impressed there, that's no guarantee that he will be a contender at the world's. But ... I'll refrain from making predictions. I'm past the point where i'll be flabbergasted if he wins, but i would expect something in between 5th and 15th.

Axel Merckx tweeted out the question, “ Who is going to beat him (Remco)?”

I know people want to keep their expectations in check, but given the issues some of the top ITT riders have had and Remco’s increase in performance starting in June I would have to think he’s one of the favorites.

He’s already 4th betting favorite for the Road Race with MVDP, Sagan, Alaphilippe is the top 3.

I haven’t been able to locate ITT odds as of yet.

This is kind of what I mean! I think there will be a lot of shock, but the guy just keeps surprising. I'm actually gonna be surprised if he doesn’t.

Last edited:
The selection for the Belgian team for the road race is going to be an phenomenally intense competition.

They must have at least 10 feasible candidates to win the Rainbow Jersey yet within the 8 man selection must surely be at least 2-3 selfless workhorses to pull the peloton in the the opening 200 kms.
Nah. Just pick deGendt to go in the break, plus 7 guys who can muster a sprint after 270 kms of up hill and down dale racing.

ECpzzfRW4AEtcxb.jpg:large

TRENDING THREADS