• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
ECpzzfRW4AEtcxb.jpg:large
Lefevre should get his ass in gear and start charming Van Wilder's mother.

Lefevre should get his ass in gear and start charming Van Wilder's mother.
I doubt Van Wilder will join QST anytime soon. Evenepoel and Van Wilder stopped following each other on IG a couple of months ago. Knowing they were pretty active on each other’s account when they were, you would think something changed between them. He probably already has a few proposals from different teams to join them next year.

For me it's a big mistake. Quickstep is good in developping young cyclists but they can't afford a good team to remco in gt's
This is a clear vote of confidence in Remco by DQS. He’s their main investment for the long term (also a personal investment by PL as most sponsors don’t have a deal with them beyond 2021/2022). He’s the only rider signed through beyond 2021. So saying they can’t afford to build a good team of riders around Remco is more than a bit premature.

I get it. Trusted team, close to home, with a great record of developing winning talent. Sure, it's not a GT team right now, and might not ever be, but I would think his parents and advisors are looking for a good place for him to be in his first few years in the pros. Comfortable is important at that age.

"Deceuninck-Quick-Step is the perfect environment for me, a second family where we are always working together to improve with passion, professionalism and commitment, and this is a very important aspect for me."

If all he does is win classics until the end of this contract, he'll still be 23 when he starts the next one. Plus who knows how things evolve at QS.

Something tells me if he keeps performing as he has been, everything will line up. I think it's a great signing. Excited to see another big Belgian star on this team. Interested to see how far he can progress as a GT rider on it.

I think his trainer (Pelgrims) said a few weeks ago, that they will be targeting one week stage races next year. I'm guessing a level higher than San Juan, Turkey, Adriatica Ionica... Maybe Itzulia, Paris Nice, Suisse, Dauphiné, California...? I think guys like Almeida, Serry, Knox... could already be good enough for those purposes. If Bagioli delivers on his promise in a few years, and if Alaphilippe is still there in 2 years... who knows which riders could be attracted. Also, i keep forgetting Jungels. I guess he'll be focussing on the classics again, and could be part of a GC team built around Evenepoel in 2 or 3 years as well.

Evenepoel + Almeida, Knox, Serry, Jungels, Cattaneo... That's nothing to be ashamed of.

I think his trainer (Pelgrims) said a few weeks ago, that they will be targeting one week stage races next year. I'm guessing a level higher than San Juan, Turkey, Adriatica Ionica... Maybe Itzulia, Paris Nice, Suisse, Dauphiné, California...? I think guys like Almeida, Serry, Knox... could already be good enough for those purposes. If Bagioli delivers on his promise in a few years, and if Alaphilippe is still there in 2 years... who knows which riders could be attracted. Also, i keep forgetting Jungels. I guess he'll be focussing on the classics again, and could be part of a GC team built around Evenepoel in 2 or 3 years as well.

Evenepoel + Almeida, Knox, Serry, Jungels, Cattaneo... That's nothing to be ashamed of.

They could have build a decent GT squad this year with Mas, Jungels, Alaphilippe, Knox, Serry, etc. That is not the problem. It is that in addition to that they also have to tender the interests of riders like Viviani, Gilbert, Stybar, Jakobsen, etc. This year they already had to leave Gilbert out of the Tour squad because of GC and sprint interests. Quickstep has too many good riders in different areas to send an 8 men team around a single guy!

They could have build a decent GT squad this year with Mas, Jungels, Alaphilippe, Knox, Serry, etc. That is not the problem. It is that in addition to that they also have to tender the interests of riders like Viviani, Gilbert, Stybar, Jakobsen, etc. This year they already had to leave Gilbert out of the Tour squad because of GC and sprint interests. Quickstep has too many good riders in different areas to send an 8 men team around a single guy!
We're a long way from sending an 8 men team around him. There is no problem with sending him to GT's with 2 dedicated guys in support, and then some guys that can work for a sprinter, and a stage hunter. Guys like Serry & Devenyns, can work for a GC leader, but also for a stagehunter. Same for Asgreen and Lampaert can work for a sprinter. By the time he's proven to be able to go for a top spot in a GT, many of these guys may have left. Who knows. Look at Jumbo in the TDF.

I doubt Van Wilder will join QST anytime soon. Evenepoel and Van Wilder stopped following each other on IG a couple of months ago. Knowing they were pretty active on each other’s account when they were, you would think something changed between them. He probably already has a few proposals from different teams to join them next year.
Is this true? Seems weird to me.

Tbh, I don't think it's arrogant at all. It was meant as a compliment towards Van Wilder.
Tu es sorti de l'ombre de Remco Evenepoel...
Ilan Van Wilder: L’an passé, j’étais toujours dans l’ombre de Remco (Evenepoel). Mais comme je l'ai déjà dit 10 000 fois, ce n’était pas grave d'être dans son ombre. (sourires) C’était même mieux pour moi. J’ai pu grandir sans pression. J’ai franchi un cap cet hiver et je me débrouille très bien cette année.

I also don't think there are any bad feelings between them, but if they indeed were following each other's instagram, it is somewhat odd that they both aren't anymore (if this is accurate).

I also don't think there are any bad feelings between them, but if they indeed were following each other's instagram, it is somewhat odd that they both aren't anymore (if this is accurate).
Why wouldn’t this be accurate ? IG is a couple of taps away and both of their accounts are public. So it’s easily verifiable. I mentioned it because I found it odd myself.

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t this be accurate ? IG is a couple of taps away and both of their accounts are public. So it’s easily verifiable. I mentioned it because I found it odd myself.
Keep your pants on. I'm not saying it isn't accurate, but anybody can make mistakes. First of all, i don't know if there is a way to "search" through their followers without checking hundreds of names. If not it's easy to miss a name. And i also don't know if it is verifiable that -even if they are not following each other currently- that they have been following each other in the past. Without searching through months of posts to see if/when they commented on each others posts.

Keep your pants on. I'm not saying it isn't accurate, but anybody can make mistakes. First of all, i don't know if there is a way to "search" through their followers without checking hundreds of names. If not it's easy to miss a name. And i also don't know if it is verifiable that -even if they are not following each other currently- that they have been following each other in the past. Without searching through months of posts to see if/when they commented on each others posts.
We can keep it friendly sir ;) No need to use big words here. But to answer your question: yes you can very easily search for a follower by simply using the search option. You’ll also notice the comments in some previous posts. I was merely pointing out that it is accurate and why it is accurate. For the sake of a an interesting and healthy exchange of comments in this forum I hope we can keep future discussions civilized ;)

We can keep it friendly sir ;) No need to use big words here. ... For the sake of a an interesting and healthy exchange of comments in this forum I hope we can keep future discussions civilized ;)
I have no idea what you are talking about here. "Keep your pants on" is simply an expression to say "calm down", which was in reference to your comment "why wouldn't it be accurate?" as if i was suggesting you would be lying or wrong.

Almeida and Knox certainly has own ambitions to develop as riders? Bagioli too, I assume. Not just be groomed to be doms for Remco...

Putting only Remco in your basket is risky. Anything could happen. A career can stop short for different reasons. I think thats why they have signed some young talent, outside of Remco. Not just to build a team with them around him. Signing young talent as they have done for years. Ala, Gaviria, Mas, Schachmann, De Plus, Cavanga, Hodeg, Narvaez, Knox, Jakobsen and Asgreen. Just to name a few. If they end up being his doms, then so be it I guess. I just dont think thats why they have necessarily signed them right now. Remco is the obvious star to be atm. If not already there. The others could probably be too. So who knows who will still be on the team for the forseeable future. DQS have certainly let go off some of the names I mentioned.

And when/if Remco starts targeting GTs. Im sure they will sign 2-3 riders to help him in the mountains. If they have the need to do that and if he will be at DQS.

Almeida and Knox certainly has own ambitions to develop as riders? Bagioli too, I assume. Not just be groomed to be doms for Remco...

Putting only Remco in your basket is risky. Anything could happen. A career can stop short for different reasons. I think thats why they have signed some young talent, outside of Remco. Not just to build a team with them around him. Signing young talent as they have done for years. Ala, Gaviria, Mas, Schachmann, De Plus, Cavanga, Hodeg, Narvaez, Knox, Jakobsen and Asgreen. Just to name a few. If they end up being his doms, then so be it I guess. I just dont think thats why they have necessarily signed them right now. Remco is the obvious star to be atm. If not already there. The others could probably be too. So who knows who will still be on the team for the forseeable future. DQS have certainly let go off some of the names I mentioned.

And when/if Remco starts targeting GTs. Im sure they will sign 2-3 riders to help him in the mountains. If they have the need to do that and if he will be at DQS.

+1. 2021 will be a key year to assess the talent they need to keep/attract. Also based on what Remco but also some other young guns will have proven at that point. DQS could then determine around which riders they could build and how. That’s also one of the reasons why management has said to be betting on young talent this transfer period (PL also mentioned that more young British talent might be interested in joining them). In other words: they’re keen on building a new core of top riders.

Like i said in an earlier post. We're still ways off of sending him to a GT as a GC leader that needs an entire team of grade A doms around him. While Almeida, Knox, Bagioli... might one day want to ride for their own GC, for the forseeable future, they have no business doing so in a high profile stagerace imho. Let's just hypothetically say, that they want to send Remco to Pais Vasco as GC leader, and he needs support riders, i see no issues in sending guys like Knox and Almeida with him, add Serry, Devenyns... That's plenty of support for the time being, for his status and his current track record. If Evenepoel falters, then those guys can still take their shot. If either Evenepoel needs better doms, or Almeida, Knox, Bagioli... grow out of his shadow, we'll likely be at least one, maybe two years further down the line either way.

TRENDING THREADS