• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Lefevere: Evenepoel is not in top form yet

So the big guy is putting even more pressure on Remco, saying he's not even at his best yet.
I don't think Lefevre is surprising anyone with that statement. Everyone in the world knew already that he isn't at his best yet. He's been shouting around his goals this year for a couple of weeks now.

That they're not in peak form? Definitely. Just finding it kinda crazy that he's this strong, this young, and is still rounding into form.

Many have been speculating that he and Pogačar are coming into form too soon, that's what Lefevre is responding to.

given some of his athletic performances before he became a cyclist, Evenpoel may be a true generational talent. The usual progression probably does not apply to him

Reactions: Big Doopie
You seem to be completely missing my point, so i'll leave it at that.

I just find it a bit grating that every rider's facial expressions must be scrutinised in detail just because they ride a race with Evenepoel.

I know what your point was and don't agree. They were both spent. Neither could have ridden the final 200 metres faster. Stop acting as if Evenepoel had three gears more he could switch to if Schachmann had made a faster approach.

Not everything is black and white. Yesterday’s stage was not difficult for the best climbers. The difference is that Remco’s base level is higher than anyone else which is to say it appears that he has a bigger tank and is able to go longer and further than anyone else at a higher consistent speed.
The downside is that his peak speed and his acceleration are not as good as most of the other riders.

Hence the reason he’s already so good at Time Trials. His expends 5% -7% less energy to cycle at the same speeds everyone else.

He has a higher red zone threshold; however he isn’t explosive/violent in his accelerations like many other top climbers.

In races that require large tanks and eliminate sprinters he will always have a chance.

The unknown is how he will fare on several mountain passes. (Personally, I think he will be even stronger with exception of dealing with climbs that are short and steep aka punchy climbs).

Reactions: Big Doopie
I just find it a bit grating that every rider's facial expressions must be scrutinised in detail just because they ride a race with Evenepoel.

I know what your point was and don't agree. They were both spent. Neither could have ridden the final 200 metres faster. Stop acting as if Evenepoel had three gears more he could switch to if Schachmann had made a faster approach.
Haha, ok. Like you said, when you are chasing for the win in the final 100m, you are going to give yourself 200% because that's all you can do, and even that might not be enough. When on the other hand, you are leading and have a good idea of how much more you need to push, as you can see the other guy coming, it's perfectly possible that you don't have to give everything and cross the finish with reserves. Evenepoel was clever and attentive enough to check where the upcoming man was, see how much more was needed, and accelerated just enough and threw his hands up before crossing the finish line. So you can disagree, no problem. I see what i see.

The strongest rider doesn't win every race. If they did, Sagan would have like 10,000 wins. There are bike riders and bike racers, and Evenepoel is showing some real tactical skills. He'll need them because he doesn't have that Valverde kick.
I don't want to give the forum the wrong impression that I have an offensive attitude, but ...
where did I say that the strongest rider always wins?

The way this finale played out, the way Evenepoel created the gap and kept going till the finish enough to hold of a strong puncher like Schachmann, is something you understand even better if you know how bike riding or racing feels yourself. He was the strongest, no matter how close the German champion came in the end.

That they're not in peak form? Definitely. Just finding it kinda crazy that he's this strong, this young, and is still rounding into form.

Many have been speculating that he and Pogačar are coming into form too soon, that's what Lefevre is responding to.

In this data rich era I find it hard to believe that Evenepoel and Pogacar have mistimed their prep and peaked at this stage. It feels far more likely that they simply are this good and can continue to get much better later in the season as they are naturally maturing and improving physically and tactically overall.

In the rush to think riders winning now are peaking too soon it overlooks the simple fact that in a race somebody HAS to WIN so is really logical to think they are all peaking for those events and not instead just better than their competitors.

Reactions: red_flanders
I'm not convinced about his Giro chances - I think a top 10 would be outstanding. I would not be surprised to see him ride well in some big stages, but also have a big blow up or two and tank 20+ mins.

However, I am convinced that he'll be up there at the pointy end of LBL, and if slips away somewhere he'll stay away. Definitely a big contender for the win.

What do other people think about the classics he could target/win? Seems like pretty much all of them should be on the table, even RVV and PR, although these more for the future.

In this data rich era I find it hard to believe that Evenepoel and Pogacar have mistimed their prep and peaked at this stage. It feels far more likely that they simply are this good and can continue to get much better later in the season as they are naturally maturing and improving physically and tactically overall.

In the rush to think riders winning now are peaking too soon it overlooks the simple fact that in a race somebody HAS to WIN so is really logical to think they are all peaking for those events and not instead just better than their competitors.

In the Danish cycling show RadioTour, they had a chat with Pogacar and he said that the UAE Tour was a big season goal, so he is close to his peak now.

However, I am convinced that he'll be up there at the pointy end of LBL, and if slips away somewhere he'll stay away. Definitely a big contender for the win.

What do other people think about the classics he could target/win? Seems like pretty much all of them should be on the table, even RVV and PR, although these more for the future.

He doesn’t like the cobbles so I would be very surprised to see him compete in RVV and PR anytime soon. He does have the power and engine for it though. Interesting to see if and when he’ll tackle these because he does have a chance of winning these. PR more so than RVV. For RVV you need to be more explosive and it requires more positioning and « battling ». He’d have to go from far out.

LBL is the race that is right up his alley. Especially with this parcours. He can also benefit from Alaphilippe’s presence who will follow wheels of favorites like Fuglsang, Schachmann, Pogacar, Formolo and others.
Fleche Wallonne is a little different and depends on how the race will go. It needs to be made hard for him to have a chance. The different teams need to be at least somewhat reduced before tackling the final Mur. Otherwise it will be like a sprint prep with a peloton speeding on all cilinders.

Lombardia is of course within his reach. Descending though is an important part of this race and at the moment some favorites have that advantage on him.
Other race he can def win is Strade B. It’s a long difficult drag until the final hill up to Siena center. So perfect for him. He just needs to turn it on, on time :)

He personally wants to peak at lombardia for a last time this season. So he certainly thinks he makes a chance there.
On a personal note, I think he's born to race in Strade. He's a light climber with a big engine to say away.

Other classics might be difficult. I don't see him racing over cobbles along with the best in RVV or PR. I might see him winning a semi classic if he manages to get away far our and has teammates policing the chasing group. So maybe a Fleche Walloon, Harelbeke or Gent Wevelgem. But obviously that might require a different approach to his season.

Reactions: GuntherL
He doesn’t like the cobbles so I would be very surprised to see him compete in RVV and PR anytime soon. He does have the power and engine for it though. Interesting to see if and when he’ll tackle these because he does have a chance of winning these. PR more so than RVV. For RVV you need to be more explosive and it requires more positioning and « battling ». He’d have to go from far out.

LBL is the race that is right up his alley. Especially with this parcours. He can also benefit from Alaphilippe’s presence who will follow wheels of favorites like Fuglsang, Schachmann, Pogacar, Formolo and others.
Fleche Wallonne is a little different and depends on how the race will go. It needs to be made hard for him to have a chance. The different teams need to be at least somewhat reduced before tackling the final Mur. Otherwise it will be like a sprint prep with a peloton speeding on all cilinders.

Lombardia is of course within his reach. Descending though is an important part of this race and at the moment some favorites have that advantage on him.
Other race he can def win is Strade B. It’s a long difficult drag until the final hill up to Siena center. So perfect for him. He just needs to turn it on, on time :)

Nice analysis - I agree with this entirely. I think he could win RVV one day, but not for a good while.

Evenepoel not yet in top form, per Lefevre:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-evenepoel-is-not-in-top-form-yet/

"He's certainly not in shape too early," said Lefevere. "Cycling has changed in recent years – you can see that even the big names win in February and are still on form at the Grand Tours. Thomas and Nibali are not in top shape yet, but when you see on Twitter that they have done 250km training rides in December and January, I wonder what good it has done…

Kind of weird. What exactly has changed such that people can hold form for months and months? Too many base miles by the old school?

Anyway, not surprising that he's not in peak form, but kinda scary.
Not sure why Lefevere paints Nibali with the same brush as Thomas. Nibali was almost up there with the best (and isn't that explosive), whereas G was dropped by a semi-sprinter.

Seems to me like Nibali's hard work paid off. Obviously he's nowhere near Evenepoel's level, but that goes for the rest of the field as well. Schachmann and Martin are just way more explosive than Nibali.

A bit early for Giro sh!t talk, also.

Haha, ok. Like you said, when you are chasing for the win in the final 100m, you are going to give yourself 200% because that's all you can do, and even that might not be enough. When on the other hand, you are leading and have a good idea of how much more you need to push, as you can see the other guy coming, it's perfectly possible that you don't have to give everything and cross the finish with reserves. Evenepoel was clever and attentive enough to check where the upcoming man was, see how much more was needed, and accelerated just enough and threw his hands up before crossing the finish line. So you can disagree, no problem. I see what i see.
10 meters and he would end up like Zabel at San Remo 2004.

10 meters and he would end up like Zabel at San Remo 2004.
No.

He hates cobbles since he had 2 punctures at the same time in Paris Roubaix juniors, when he was leading the race. I think he could do it but he clearly doesn't even want to consider it for the time being.

Last edited:
He personally wants to peak at lombardia for a last time this season. So he certainly thinks he makes a chance there.
On a personal note, I think he's born to race in Strade. He's a light climber with a big engine to say away.

Other classics might be difficult. I don't see him racing over cobbles along with the best in RVV or PR. I might see him winning a semi classic if he manages to get away far our and has teammates policing the chasing group. So maybe a Fleche Walloon, Harelbeke or Gent Wevelgem. But obviously that might require a different approach to his season.
I agree 100% with your Strade pick, a race which has a steep uphill finish, where the cut is made early and the strongest rider almost always wins. It’s got to be a dry race though for Remco.

A bit childish if he is to build a life-long aversion against cobbles because of two punctures when he was a junior...
He just turned 20 and has other goals. While you can think it's childish i understand the aversion after having to quit a race that way (he had to walk for miles with the bike in his hand, DNP-old posted a video of it last year). Who's to say he won't change his mind in 5-10 years. When he either reached the other goals he had set, or when he has learned that some of those goals aren't within his grasp after all.

Pog made the podium in his first GT last year in the Vuelta. After having a really great season.

Maybe it is possible for Remco too but I think a top 5 or even a top 10 would be more realistic in Remcos case. Hell, just finishing your first GT is good, but maybe not for someone like this kid right here. I would happily be proven wrong, but I dont think he can win it. Even if he surprises and founds himself in the lead. His team and a lack of support will be a factor too.

Amazing start of the season so far though. Salute.

TRENDING THREADS