• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Pog made the podium in his first GT last year in the Vuelta. After having a really great season.

Maybe it is possible for Remco too but I think a top 5 or even a top 10 would be more realistic in Remcos case. Hell, just finishing your first GT is good, but maybe not for someone like this kid right here. I would happily be proven wrong, but I dont think he can win it. Even if he surprises and founds himself in the lead. His team and a lack of support will be a factor too.

Amazing start of the season so far though. Salute.

If Pogacar can win multiple stages and podium at age 20 in his first GT, then RE should be able to eclipse that as he is the better rider

Pog made the podium in his first GT last year in the Vuelta. After having a really great season.

Maybe it is possible for Remco too but I think a top 5 or even a top 10 would be more realistic in Remcos case. Hell, just finishing your first GT is good, but maybe not for someone like this kid right here. I would happily be proven wrong, but I dont think he can win it. Even if he surprises and founds himself in the lead. His team and a lack of support will be a factor too.

Amazing start of the season so far though. Salute.
Remco will only be 20 for a few months while Pog turned 21 a week later. This may look like a childish argument, but looking at the rate at which both are evolving, i think it's valid. Six months down the road both might have grown stronger still. Also, you can't compare the Vuelta to the Giro. There is a reason why the Vuelta is often the GT of choice to send GT virgins to. Mountains are less extreme, overall tempo is (s)lower, less press... And also the opposition in last year's Vuelta wasn't that deep. There was Roglic, Valverde, Lopez, an out of form Quintana and Majka. That was basically it for the real contenders. If you see guys like Hagen, Knox, Teuns battling for a top 10 spot, that's rather telling.

But ultimately, we shouldn't be looking at who will be the best soonest, but how good will they be at their peak (in a few years). They just happen to be very good very soon, so the temptation is there to compare them in that regard as well.

How did I make a comparison in the post between the two... is something I would like an answer to.

If you actually read what I said in the post, the things you mentioned is actually why I said it would be hard to get a podium for Remco. My Pog comment was just to say it is possible that he could since Remco is pretty much having the same great start to this season, as Pog had last year. Where he eventually went on to podium a GT his first time going.

I said I dont think Remco will be able to, even though I wouldnt be surprised either if he does. You just went into the details about it. Cool.

That doesnt mean one is better than the other. That wasnt a debate I was tryna have at all.

How did I make a comparison in the post between the two... is something I would like an answer to.
Calm down, no problem, it's a misunderstanding. When you go into the topic of rider X and you start your post about how good rider Y has been, you can kind of expect people to pick up on it and see it that way. And if i basically just went into detail and gave arguments for what you were basically trying to say, you could just say that. "I agree, that's exactly what i meant by that" or whatever. I just replied to the first post of the discussion you were having with Houtdffan.

Calm down, no problem, it's a misunderstanding. When you go into the topic of rider X and you start your post about how good rider Y has been, you can kind of expect people to pick up on it and see it that way. And if i basically just went into detail and gave arguments for what you were basically trying to say, you could just say that. "I agree, that's exactly what i meant by that" or whatever. I just replied to the first post of the discussion you were having with Houtdffan.

Should have quoted the right post then. Since we were having completely different conversations. Your post should have been directed that way.

And that you and me were saying the same thing. Which I said in my post.

Last edited:
Only slightly related to Remco's schedule for 2020, but I didn't find a thread about the impact of the Corona virus and the possible cancellation of the Olympics. This could become an issue very soon.

Closer to home, several Italian villages have gone in lock down and football games have been postponed.

Edit: Italy declares national emergency.

Last edited:
There is always the reference to Pogacar on the podium in the Vuelta. But remember that Pogacar was just an outsider in the Vuelta of last year; Nobody really payed attention to him as a potential winner nor podium candidate of the Vuelta. That helps a lot to win stages, get bigger advances in stages and then 'by accident' finish on the podium (same what happened to De Gendt once in the Giro). So if Remco does end up on the podium - or maybe not- in the Giro the result is difficult to compare.
I am not saying this underestimates Pogacar performance. But when other riders thread you different, very different results are possible.

There is always the reference to Pogacar on the podium in the Vuelta. But remember that Pogacar was just an outsider in the Vuelta of last year; Nobody really payed attention to him as a potential winner nor podium candidate of the Vuelta. That helps a lot to win stages, get bigger advances in stages and then 'by accident' finish on the podium (same what happened to De Gendt once in the Giro). So if Remco does end up on the podium - or maybe not- in the Giro the result is difficult to compare.
I am not saying this underestimates Pogacar performance. But when other riders thread you different, very different results are possible.
Nobody handed Pogacar anything really and he lost a minute and a half in by crashing in the TTT.

Nobody handed Pogacar anything really and he lost a minute and a half in by crashing in the TTT.
He was definitely not considered a podium threat before the Vuelta, so there will always be more freedom in that case. They won't actively ride against you when they see you are weaker and about to drop or when you place an attack the other favorites will look at each other and not react as swiftly... untill they consider you a threat. So he'll likely have benefited from the situation in that regard a bit the first weeks. He did get one of his stagewins gifted by Roglic, but on the other hand, he might have beaten Roglic in the sprint anyway (knowing what we know now). I think he ended up roughly where he was supposed to end up in the GC give or take a spot. His attack in the last week showed he did deserve it and really was that strong.

Last edited:
This.

The notion that Pogačar got the podium just because he's been viewed as an outsider before the Vuelta is laughable. As Red Rick said he even lost more than a minute in the TTT crash. All the stages he won and the time gap he produced was because he was stronger than the opposition in a direct clash with them.

Also Evenepoel is not much less of an outsider than Pogačar was back then. Both had great performances before their first GT but there are questionmarks for both entering their first GT. How will they cope with the multi mountains stages in the third week being the biggest one. Pogačar showed that recovery is a strength of his. Remco has yet to show this.

I didn't give Pogačar much chance for the podium before the Vuelta to be honest. I give Remco bigger chance, mainly because of the ITT heavy route. But he needs to show he can handle the big mountains first.

Still cannot warm to this guy. I'm sure I'll come around some point, but for now I have a hard time with his rhetoric :confused_old: Something about his extreme confidence is rubbing the wrong way:oops:

Again, very much like Hinault. Hinault destroyed everyone at the dauphine in 1977 but didn’t go to the TDF which he would have won. Hinault knew how strong he was. Remco knows even more because today’s riders have all the data.

Only one question remains. Can he last three weeks? He appears to be that type of rider, imo.

I find it so exciting that he and Pogacar and Bernal are all kicking butt in their early 20s. This is an excellent sign. And they all showed immense talent when they were even younger. No longer the 27 year old who suddenly becomes dominant.

Because of that I am a fan of all three. However, I do think Remco is the only true generational outlier. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Again, very much like Hinault. Hinault destroyer everyone at the dauphine in 1977 but didn’t go to the TDF which he would have won. Hinault knew how strong he was Remco knows even more because today’s riders have all the data.

Only one question remains. Can he last three weeks? He appears to be that type of rider , imo.

I find it so exciting that he and Pogacar and Bernal are all kicking butt in their early 20s. This is an excellent sign. And they all showed immense talent when they were even younger. No longer the 27 year old who suddenly becomes dominant.

Because of that I am a fan of all three. However, I do think Remco is the only true generational outlier. My 2 cents.

Remco just needs to rip it on the Stelvio. His climbing should progress, however it may matter, over the next two years. As it stands, he seems to have some upper body muscle mass to loose. Hopefully he can do so without compromising his missle in the TT. If he is able, then yes, a generational champion.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS