• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
In a casual interview with Laura Tesoro (Belgian singer/dancer/media figure) he says his entire preparation is focused towards the Giro, implying all other goals will be of lesser importance and not determining his training schedule in a significant way. I guess we already knew/expected this but there you have it. Can he win the Giro? He's eager and hopes to be able to say "yes" on the final day of the Giro.

The program of Richard Carapaz is mostly identical to Evenepoels.
Burgos, Poland, Tirreno (I expect to see Remco there as well) and the Giro of course.
He could also be a podium candidate for the World Championships road race.

Burgos is going to be interesting. The opposition is the strongest he's ever faced (Carapaz, Yates brothers, Mas, Quintana, Landa, Majka, Valverde, Sosa, etc...) and the finish on the Picon Blanco looks particularly brutal.
https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/2019-vuelta-a-burgos-13-17-aug.34759/

If anyone has the stage details of this year's edition, I'd love to know.
Since yesterday, the Burgos website has been updated. No longer the 2019 race, but "some" info on the 2020 race. The first stage is already posted, with a cat1 climb in the middle of the stage: +/- 6.5% for +/-6.5km.

etapa-1-perfil.jpg

Last edited:
The Belgian team goes to the world championship with 1 leader : Remco. It's the first time in history that Belgium (by far the most succesful country at the worlds) goes to the worlds with such a young leader. Other Belgian riders that also have a (outside) opportunity of winning are Tiesj Benoot, Dylan Teuns, Tim Wellens en Laurens De Plus. For Gilbert and Van Avermaet it's probably going to be difficult to win. I noticed that only Carapaz (2) and Nibali (3) are ahead of Remco (3,5) in the betting odds for the Giro. I think Remco will be the outright favorite at the beginning of the Giro. Pogacar was a surprise last year. Remco won't be a surprise if he gets on to the podium. I notice that in the Netherlands there a lot of supporters that think Remco has way too big a mouth. Some of them claim that Remco is not even top 10 with regards to time trialing. Well, I doubt Dennis thinks that. He is convinced that Remco is his main opponent (not Roglic, Dumoulin, ....).

The Belgian team goes to the world championship with 1 leader : Remco. It's the first time in history that Belgium (by far the most succesful country at the worlds) goes to the worlds with such a young leader. Other Belgian riders that also have a (outside) opportunity of winning are Tiesj Benoot, Dylan Teuns, Tim Wellens en Laurens De Plus. For Gilbert and Van Avermaet it's probably going to be difficult to win. I noticed that only Carapaz (2) and Nibali (3) are ahead of Remco (3,5) in the betting odds for the Giro. I think Remco will be the outright favorite at the beginning of the Giro. Pogacar was a surprise last year. Remco won't be a surprise if he gets on to the podium. I notice that in the Netherlands there a lot of supporters that think Remco has way too big a mouth. Some of them claim that Remco is not even top 10 with regards to time trialing. Well, I doubt Dennis thinks that. He is convinced that Remco is his main opponent (not Roglic, Dumoulin, ....).

I'm assuming you have been reading Wielerflits. It's a cesspool just like the comments on Cyclingnews articles sometimes. As hard as it is, it's best to ignore. People are quick to pass judgement based on some attention grabbing headline.

Where did Dennis comment on his rivals? If he was talking about the WCC, it would make sense because neither Roglic or Dumoulin will be able to ride the ITT, considering they are riding the Tour.

I'm assuming you have been reading Wielerflits. It's a cesspool just like the comments on Cyclingnews articles sometimes. As hard as it is, it's best to ignore. People are quick to pass judgement based on some attention grabbing headline.

Where did Dennis comment on his rivals? If he was talking about the WCC, it would make sense because neither Roglic or Dumoulin will be able to ride the ITT, considering they are riding the Tour.
I guess he meant Dennis' interview after the TT in Algarve. He didn't specifically said that Remco is his main rival for TT's, nor did he mention any other names, but he did say that he thinks that TT's between him and Remco could be close battles in the coming years.

The program of Richard Carapaz is mostly identical to Evenepoels.
Burgos, Poland, Tirreno (I expect to see Remco there as well) and the Giro of course.
He could also be a podium candidate for the World Championships road race.

Burgos is going to be interesting. The opposition is the strongest he's ever faced (Carapaz, Yates brothers, Mas, Quintana, Landa, Majka, Valverde, Sosa, etc...) and the finish on the Picon Blanco looks particularly brutal.
https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/2019-vuelta-a-burgos-13-17-aug.34759/

If anyone has the stage details of this year's edition, I'd love to know.

If he can win with that field of pure climbing talent and no ITT to gain time then it will be hugely impressive

I know he's focused on the Giro, but I hope he tries to make the most of the races in August. It wouldn't surprise me if races in October and November get cancelled.

I definitely agree that the completion of the season as scheduled is a very fragile thing and a spike in cases near to a upcoming race could cause cancellations or could get another UAE Tour situation with teams and riders quarantined.

Race everything as if it is a big event and see what we get should be the approach for all riders.

Remco will only ride the European Championship Individual Time Trial. Not the road race. It will be a busy period either way and he doesn't want to overdo it, especially with the time between the RR and ITT being relatively short.

Remco will only ride the European Championship Individual Time Trial. Not the road race. It will be a busy period either way and he doesn't want to overdo it, especially with the time between the RR and ITT being relatively short.

What are the TT and road race courses like for the Euros as in what sort of riders will be fancying their chances. I would expect even more depleted fields than usual which could throw up interesting racing with the established hierarchy not in situ.

They don't want to burn him up before the Giro even starts.

They don't want to burn him up before the Giro even starts.

What do you think about Cian Uijtdebroeks ? It's the first that I hear his name.

What do you think about Cian Uijtdebroeks ? It's the first that I hear his name.
He's been mentioned a few times in the junior topic. DNP-old is one of the most in the know active poster here when it comes to that kind of info.

If you Google his name, you can see footage of him winning Kuurne.

Let's see at the WCC how he compares to (6 month older) Brenner before calling Evenepoel old news. But Uijtdebroek does seem impressive so far. Hard to compare to Evenepoel at that age, because he only started racing then.

Sharper than ever.

"I am not a favorite in my first GT, but perhaps an outsider. I cannot predict how I will feel in the 3rd week. I am of course happy with the long opening time trial. I want to take time on the other GC riders. That is the strategy: strike hard in the time trials and try to follow in the mountains. It remains to be seen what I can do against the best climbers in the world, such as Carapaz."

Translated version: https://translate.google.com/transl...izoen-ik-sta-scherper-dan-ooit~1595866401435/

I love his willingness to attack but I really hope that he will ride a more conservative Giro. Right now I wouldn´t be suprised if he takes the Maglia Rosa in the 1st time trial, defends it for 2 weeks and suffers a Yates-like collapse in the 3rd week because he wasted a lot of energy with unnecessary attacks/solos.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
I love his willingness to attack but I really hope that he will ride a more conservative Giro. Right now I wouldn´t be suprised if he takes the Maglia Rosa in the 1st time trial, defends it for 2 weeks and suffers a Yates-like collapse in the 3rd week because he wasted a lot of energy with unnecessary attacks/solos.
I wouldn't mind really. He's just a blast to watch either way.

TRENDING THREADS