• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Dont wanna overreact but he's gonna be a huge threat at the Giro, becoming increasingly clear
To be flying at every prep eace and to be good in the 3rd week of the Giro are 2 different things, just ask Roglic.
There's also no way that Remco will be under the rader when the Giro starts, everyone will watch him.
The team probably sees his first gt as a learning experience, let him take it day by day and see what happens.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
To be flying at every prep eace and to be good in the 3rd week of the Giro are 2 different things, just ask Roglic.
There's also no way that Remco will be under the rader when the Giro starts, everyone will watch him.
The team probably sees his first gt as a learning experience, let him take it day by day and see what happens.
To abide by human limitations

To be Evenepoel

Pick 1.

Reactions: Jspear
Brailsford has found a use for the budget available after Froome's departure
Tsssk... that's not gonna cut it.

I don't think he's eager to leave DQT, not even for a lot of money. Another team tried to poach him after his first year in the juniors, but he stuck with his team, because they gave him a chance in the first place. He didn't want to shame their trust and leave them after what they did for him.

Tsssk... that's not gonna cut it.

I don't think he's eager to leave DQT, not even for a lot of money. Another team tried to poach him after his first year in the juniors, but he stuck with his team, because they gave him a chance in the first place. He didn't want to shame their trust and leave them after what they did for him.
Doubt Belgian sponsors would skimp on a few mill to keep Evenepoel around anyway.

I wonder if Quick Step will soon start to considder skipping Jakobsen in the Giro. With Evenepoel a more and more serious topfavoruite, likely to take the pink jersey many days it would be a big advantage with a full team comitted to him instead of Jakobsen with some leadoutguys also. Jakobsen could just take Hodegs spot in the Vuelta instead then.

What, Jakobsen take Hodeg's spot in the Vuelta? :eek: Don't scare me.

There are no more questions, no more tests. He checks all the boxes. The only issues remaining are minor. For example, this being essentially the start of the season, thus everyone not being in top shape yet. As if Remco is. Sure, some will have an advantage over others due to being able to train outside, but it won't shift the standings 180. These aren't the high mountains, but San Juan showed he can cope. And lastly, the (past) races haven't been three weeks, but it's an overrated matter anyway.

a succession of steep, high climbs and recovery over three weeks still "questions", and not to be scoffed at (as long as riders are not benefitting from too much recovery "assistance").

however, in my 50 years of following the sport, a rider who shows the qualities he has already shown rarely fails at those tests. in fact, they likely get even more dominant...

something to look forward to.

Reactions: red_flanders
Remco road today very intelligent.
The other teams setting pace. He just followed. Even when left with 4 he initially just followed. Even on the first attacks he didn't react. And when the others-don't remember who when - neutralized an attack he went. All others seemed not to take his attack seriously or were playing -stupid at the moment- the game to force the other to close the gap. They made themselves loose by believing you can close in on Remco in a 2km climbing effort.
Another group of riders that learned to know Remco the hard way...

One of Evenepoel's most meaningful victories I think even if it's not such a big-name race. Very strong startlist, lots of riders in form and hungry and still there's a clear margin between him and everyone else.

The 3-week-endurance question can't be answered until it's put to the test for real, but I mean, how could anyone still doubt really?

I don't bet on sports, but if I did, I wouldn't bet against him for the Giro.

The most important things to remember from today's exploit:

*/ Riding hard on the flat before the final climb doesn't hurt him (likely it is in his advantage compared to his less aero rivals).
*/ He copes with the heat.

I think those are more important than the question that remained concerning his "3 week ability". A guy who does 100k solo's, is great at 50k+ ITT's, recovers fast (as witnessed countless times, earlier this week, in San Sebastian, at the junior WCC etc) will likely not suffer more than any other GC candidate.

Remco road today very intelligent.
The other teams setting pace. He just followed. Even when left with 4 he initially just followed. Even on the first attacks he didn't react. And when the others-don't remember who when - neutralized an attack he went. All others seemed not to take his attack seriously or were playing -stupid at the moment- the game to force the other to close the gap. They made themselves loose by believing you can close in on Remco in a 2km climbing effort.
Another group of riders that learned to know Remco the hard way...

Agreed. tho i saw it a little different at the end.

He let Chozas (and Bennett) do the pulling. When Chozas attacked a second time (getting rid of Carapaz who had just made it back), Bennett looked back at Evenepoel. Remco dropped his head and did not come through forcing Bennett to bring back Chozas. At that point Chozas and Bennett had both made extra efforts. He "attacked" by just lifting the pace, looked back and saw that no one had lifted a finger, and so he went. My impression is that there was no hesitation from either Chozas or Bennett, they did not even flinch. They knew they simply could not compete.

TRENDING THREADS