• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Who is Chozas?
The climbing salami.

Agreed. tho i saw it a little different at the end.

He let Chozas (and Bennett) do the pulling. When Chozas attacked a second time (getting rid of Carapaz who had just made it back), Bennett looked back at Evenepoel. Remco dropped his head and did not come through forcing Bennett to bring back Chozas. At that point Chozas and Bennett had both made extra efforts. He "attacked" by just lifting the pace, looked back and saw that no one had lifted a finger, and so he went. My impression is that there was no hesitation from either Chozas or Bennett, they did not even flinch. They knew they simply could not compete.

What actually happened was, that Chozas (let's go with this) attacked, and at the moment the tv directer showed the camera from way behind, you could see Remco react. He brought back Bennett and i think that was the moment he knew he was better. A bit later he did to them what he did to Mayrhofer at the junior WCC.

... My impression is that there was no hesitation from either Chozas or Bennett, they did not even flinch. They knew they simply could not compete.
At some point Remco had 30 seconds- as far the measuring is correct in the last 2kms ; he finished with only 18 seconds bonus. At some point Bennet was able to come closer to Remco. I do believe if he did not let Remco ride, he could compete.
But indeed; you need to able to react at the moment if Remco increases the pace....

At some point Remco had 30 seconds- as far the measuring is correct in the last 2kms ; he finished with only 18 seconds bonus. At some point Bennet was able to come closer to Remco. I do believe if he did not let Remco ride, he could compete.
But indeed; you need to able to react at the moment if Remco increases the pace....
Not a chance. He had difficulties following Evenepoel the moment he reacted to Chozas, and it's not like they didn't know Evenepoel unless Bennett has been living under a rock for 2 years. Chaves, i mean Chozas had just attacked and couldn't respond. If Bennett was able to follow, he would have.

PS: i think the timing in Burgos is off. Just the same with his attack in the first stage, he had 45 seconds in 45 seconds. The peloton must have been standing still. And then suddenly he lost 20 seconds in 2 minutes. The same today, the timing said he had 35 seconds while he was just taking a corner. When Bennett and Chaves got there, that was no way 35 seconds.

LOL! Totally my bad. Tx for the correction. Really stuck in the Lemond era...

now corrected: Chaves
Ah, it was much funnier before!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Big Doopie
He is very talented, but this is b-race in world tour. Still interesting to see that GT capasity, when everybody is veins popping and a-teams everywhere and all that jazz, it's heavyweight after two weeks.

And it's interesting to see also from physio point of view can he break the mould so to speak as science tends to think long skinny Froome bodytype is best for GT racing: Big organs, big cooling surface, best mechanical efficiency, best cda for big organs aso.

And it's interesting to see also from physio point of view can he break the mould so to speak as science tends to think long skinny Froome bodytype is best for GT racing: Big organs, big cooling surface, best mechanical efficiency, best cda for big organs aso.
I've been thinking about this and there's a few things that scale squared and a few that scale cubed with height. The most basic thing that should favor bigger riders is the bike weight having a minimum. The big downside for bigger riders is blood has to travel longer between the lungs, heart and muscles, so if you literally scale up a small rider he won't be able to do the same W/kg.

Evenepoel looks really square for someone his height. Yet he isn't particularly heavy. It might be me but his torso seems really broad but also pretty short.

He is very talented, but this is b-race in world tour. Still interesting to see that GT capasity, when everybody is veins popping and a-teams everywhere and all that jazz, it's heavyweight after two weeks.
You understand, that everybody is eager to race. That nobody is fatigued. That every team wants to win, considering half the season has been cut. Considering the opportunities to win, have become very limited. That everybody's goals are close by due to a compressed season (some are doing the Tour, others will do Lombardia). That given the situation, everybody who's been on altitude camp, wants to test his legs, even more so considering the opportunities to do so in prep races are limited, and those goals are closing in fast. That a lot of riders are out of a contract and want to show themselves for their team and their sponsor. That teams who still want to have their sponsor next year, want to make the most of the racing that is still left. Especially since nobody knows whether or not we'll even see any more races beyond next week, if Covid-19 crashes the party once more.

No, this is not simply a b-race in the world tour. Not given the circumstances.

Boy, the "this is just a training ride, nothing more or less" talk certainly disappeared quickly, didn't it?

If that's all this is for him, then his stage win today is even more impressive. Dropping guys like Carapaz, Landa and Chavez on a training ride?

The big downside for bigger riders is blood has to travel longer between the lungs, heart and muscles, so if you literally scale up a small rider he won't be able to do the same W/kg.

It isn't so much the distance blood has to travel as that surface area/body weight decreases with larger size. This means, externally, it's harder to cool off, and internally, that there is less blood vessel interface per muscle mass.

That, at least, is the conventional thinking. It is a little more speculative than the pure physics that explains why bigger riders tend to be better TTers.

Last edited:
I think the GPS timing was not correct, however. Because Chavez faded rather strongly and this means Evenepoel would only have taken 5 seconds more from him on the last 1,5 km...

A GT is still another ballgame, sure. But this race certainly has a good level of competition. From the names but also if you consider that the season is cut short and everyone is probably on a similar "peaking"-level, not fatigued, and with a will to win as much races as possible with future races being all but 100% certain to take place.

A GT is still another ballgame, sure. But this race certainly has a good level of competition. From the names but also if you consider that the season is cut short and everyone is probably on a similar "peaking"-level, not fatigued, and with a will to win as much races as possible with future races being all but 100% certain to take place.
Thank you for compressing my post/point into a more reader friendly format :sweatsmile:

PS: i think the timing in Burgos is off. Just the same with his attack in the first stage, he had 45 seconds in 45 seconds. The peloton must have been standing still. And then suddenly he lost 20 seconds in 2 minutes. The same today, the timing said he had 35 seconds while he was just taking a corner. When Bennett and Chaves got there, that was no way 35 seconds.
Just rewatched the last 3km and I do think the timing was quite accurate. A bit inside the last km you had a big right turn followed by a big left turn. Timer said 28s when he took the right turn and that was spot on. Pretty sure Remco was kind of running out of energy at the end.

Just rewatched the last 3km and I do think the timing was quite accurate. A bit inside the last km you had a big right turn followed by a big left turn. Timer said 28s when he took the right turn and that was spot on. Pretty sure Remco was kind of running out of energy at the end.
Yes, i noticed it too an hour ago, the timing was indeed rather accurate. I remember seeing him taking a right turn, and Bennett & Chaves didn't seem to be that far behind, but time was ticking away nevertheless. Not sure if it was him running out of energy (the gap compared to Chaves etc increased still) or that Bennett just launched an ultimate attack to drop Chaves and keep an upcoming Landa at bay. Or maybe a combination of the two.

There are no B races this year.

Armstrong wasn't really a Froome type either, although he did race a few tours on the ...skinny...side.

He had been talking about making a signature victory celebration like Contador for example for a while, but this one was weak. I didn't like it. Comes off disrespectful.
the fact the he is talking about wanting his own "signature victory celebration" is really telling in regards to his arrogance. Topped off by the celebration itself.

EePdzYvXoAYZ_SM

Random one.

Is he riding Sanremo?
No. They will have to wait with the headline "San Remco".

What exactly is wrong with the principle of wanting to have a signature celebration?
For F_Cance, the biggest problem is that he's Remco, lol.

He had been talking about making a signature victory celebration like Contador for example for a while, but this one was weak. I didn't like it. Comes off disrespectful.
Not really seeing it that way. Brushing dust off his shoulder, the dust isn't a metaphore for the other riders, as Thijsje is implying. The gesture simply means he didn't have to get very dirty to get the job done.

I think it's all meant in good fun, but the delivery of the gesture is missing that. Sagan made a string of similar gestures long ago, but he did have that natural comical vibe. Remco doesn't. Maybe he should look at some videos of Morris Day of The Time ... I think that's a bit what he's going for.

Anyway kind of hilarious social media is fuming over this.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS