• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Not really seeing it that way. Brushing dust off his shoulder, the dust isn't a metaphore for the other riders, as Thijsje is implying. The gesture simply means he didn't have to get very dirty to get the job done.

I think it's all meant in good fun, but the delivery of the gesture is missing that. Sagan made a string of similar gestures long ago, but he did have that natural comical vibe. Remco doesn't. Maybe he should look at some videos of Morris Day of The Time ... I think that's a bit what he's going for.

Anyway kind of hilarious social media is fuming over this.
It means brushing the "haters" off. It used to be a popular gesture in hip-hop music.

aka my detractors are jealous of me because I'm so much better than them. They are beneath me and can't affect me.

It means brushing the "haters" off. It used to be a popular gesture in hip-hop music.

aka my detractors are jealous of me because I'm so much better than them. They are beneath me and can't affect me.
It's been a gesture for a few centuries. Maybe they use it in hip hop, maybe that's where he got it from, but it's been around for ages.
But fair enough, if that's where he got it from. On the other hand, it's a bit funny if it is indeed directed towards the "haters". I mean, if the shoe fits.

Last edited:
No. They will have to wait with the headline "San Remco".

For F_Cance, the biggest problem is that he's Remco, lol.

Not really seeing it that way. Brushing dust off his shoulder, the dust isn't a metaphore for the other riders, as Thijsje is implying. The gesture simply means he didn't have to get very dirty to get the job done.

I think it's all meant in good fun, but the delivery of the gesture is missing that. Sagan made a string of similar gestures long ago, but he did have that natural comical vibe. Remco doesn't. Maybe he should look at some videos of Morris Day of The Time ... I think that's a bit what he's going for.

Anyway kind of hilarious social media is fuming over this.

It's a bit strange that Sagan did it three times in the 2012 Tour, and then never again, yet he was for a very long time (if not still) known as the guy with the funny celebrations.

Football fan speaking: I think signature celebrations are silly. Like Messi said (and I love to quote him), he prefers things to come naturally. But that does not mean I don't love Griezmann as well who is one of the signature guys of the silly signature celebration. Whatever works. If they are having fun this way, I don't mind.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Football fan speaking: I think signature celebrations are silly. Like Messi said (and I love to quote him), he prefers things to come naturally. But that does not mean I don't love Griezmann as well who is one of the signature guys of the silly signature celebration. Whatever works. If they are having fun this way, I don't mind.
I think signature celebrations work better for small wins anyway, or only on occasion. I liked Contador's pistol shot but that made him just going nuts after winning Fuente De extra special for example.

Shoutout to Djokovic for having the single worst signature celebration in sport.

Reactions: Gigs_98
As I have made clear, I am a Remco fan.

I am not a fan of the dust-off celebration. No matter how it is meant, it comes across as calculated, gloating and therefore even more arrogant — particularly coming from someone so young.

It is also utterly unnecessary.

Humility gives you a better chance of holding on to fans even as you crush the field.

Remco should not go there for his own sake.

Last edited:
As I have made clear, I am a Remco fan.

I am not a fan of the dust-off celebration. No matter how it is meant, it comes across as calculated, gloating and therefore even more arrogant — particularly coming from someone so young.

It is also utterly unnecessary.

Humility gives you a better chance of holding on to fans even as you crush the field.

Remco should not go there for his own sake.
Yeah, agreed on all counts, thought I think it bothers me a bit less than you. It's fairly subdued, but it's definitely arrogant for someone with his limited palmares and time in saddle. Better w/o it.

To be fair, I find any planned celebration or repeated celebration irritating. I think people respond better to genuine joy and excitement, or on the other end of the spectrum, humility. In small doses, at the right time, for the right reasons I can like it. But generally no.

Evenepoel looks really square for someone his height. Yet he isn't particularly heavy. It might be me but his torso seems really broad but also pretty short.
I've called him mini Roglic in the past partially because they seem to have similar strengths and style but also because they have a similar build - bigger legs and a more square-ish body type than most climbers yet still lighter than you'd think.

Reactions: Red Rick
Was this already mentioned?
In an interview Valverde mentioned about the first stage in Burgos with the 1 km climb finish he was watching and following Remco. Result was Valverde didn't react when Grossschartner attacked (and I assume since Valcerde didn't react nobody else reacted). This gave Grossschartner a relative easy win. So this means that even Valverde already is ready to gamble on Remco for a stagewin and he looses.
Extra comment: they still don't understand Remco's strengths and weaknesses. In the 1-2 minute efforts many riders can beat him. So gambling for a stage win on such a finale on Remco is just wrong.
For other riders; Remco is your steam engine to stagewins in GT. Just follow him uphill. He will race for GT, you can beat him for the stage win. Help him a little during his attack and your stagewins will be there.

Walter

In an interview Valverde mentioned about the first stage in Burgos with the 1 km climb finish he was watching and following Remco. Result was Valverde didn't react when Grossschartner attacked (and I assume since Valcerde didn't react nobody else reacted). This gave Grossschartner a relative easy win. So this means that even Valverde already is ready to gamble on Remco for a stagewin and he looses.

i posted the tweet in the Burgos topic but not here.

Evenepoel is not of this world.

Google Translation:

It's no longer worth talking about Remco Evenepoel's irruption being the wildest modern cycling has ever known. For what. The evidence imposes itself with such a roar that it hardly exists anymore with him asking that it necessarily sounds like hyperbole. Is Evenepoel the most extraordinary appearance the history of world sport has ever known? Impossible to answer, of course, but the doubt is worth it and illustrates the enormous talent of the Belgian, so over 20 years old that it is scary to imagine what he will be like when he reaches his theoretical maturity on the bicycle, still so distant on paper.

Asterisks can be added to your last donkey. Yes, it is the first race after confinement. Yes, it is the Vuelta a Burgos, after all a second level test. Yes, most of those who participate take it as a preparation for what is to come. Determinants that do not eliminate a reality: Evenepoel crushed in a mountain stage with a high end to Bennett (18 seconds), Landa (32), Chaves (35), Carapaz (52), Aru (1:03), Yates ( 1:20), Valverde (2:09) ... Much further back came other reputable climbers who had a bad day, such as Mas and Sosa.

And all this in a single port, no matter how hard the Picón Blanco is (7.8 kilometers at an average of 9.3%). Better written, in the last two kilometers in which, already only accompanied by Chaves and Bennett, he decided to accelerate the pace without getting off the bike or altering the rictus and encouraged whoever could to follow him, like that unforgettable day in the Classical from San Sebastián. Neither the Colombian nor New Zealander, despite the ease with which they had moved on the previous ramps, had the ability to hold onto the Evenepoel wheel. From there to the end, the usual. Boom, boom, boom ... Constant as the hammer blow to raise the arms without opposition.

Remco (20 years old, it is worth insisting) has already been seen to destroy all possible terrains. The one achieved this Thursday in Burgos is his most impressive victory in a mountain pass, at least the most typical of the climber, who is not supposed to be. He already showed in the Clásica de San Sebastián last year that one-day tests, wear and tear, are also his thing. And what about the time trials: he is the current runner-up in the world, second only to Rohan Dennis, dominator of the specialty in the last five years. What type of cyclist is he? Yes, it is Eddie Merckx. At least it seems.

There are already four partial victories and two general victories (Algarve and San Juan) in just 15 days of competition in this strange 2020. No one has won more in the entire squad, not even a sprinter. And, of course, he is already the leader of the Vuelta a Burgos, in which he still has the Lagunas de Neila test on Saturday. The Giro appears on his calendar and, although it sounds impossible madness, it is no longer possible to discard anything with it. After all, Evenepoel is not of this world.

Extra comment: they still don't understand Remco's strengths and weaknesses. In the 1-2 minute efforts many riders can beat him. So gambling for a stage win on such a finale on Remco is just wrong.
For other riders; Remco is your steam engine to stagewins in GT. Just follow him uphill. He will race for GT, you can beat him for the stage win. Help him a little during his attack and your stagewins will be there.

Walter
Yes, Valverde knows he can beat him on such finish. He was counting on other things, such as Remco's sheer strength and inexperience. He was banking on Remco to close the gap and then to out kick him to the line. But Remco didn't took the bite, he proved he's a quick learner. Although, had he closed that gap, his teammate would probably took the win.

Yes, I understand obvious circumstances. But even then you know where they have laid 'a bit' more money on the table and where the biggest media shows are waiting.
The point is that you can't compare this to for instance Algarve, where Nibali, Thomas, Lopez, Martin... were all present and he won as well. This is much more of a benchmark, and those guys really want to test and/or show themselves in a season with limited options, so close to the TDF/Lombardia/...

The point is that you can't compare this to for instance Algarve, where Nibali, Thomas, Lopez, Martin... were all present and he won as well. This is much more of a benchmark, and those guys really want to test and/or show themselves in a season with limited options, so close to the TDF/Lombardia/...

Mostly I've been trying to say that from GT racing point of view, RE is empty paper: We don't know just yet, but hopefully we'll see it this year.

TRENDING THREADS