• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 118 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Atm Roglic might be the only guy i have ahead of Remco in stage races which is crazy at this stage.

Funny enough Roglic is also one of the more aero Gc guys, riding in the drops even in the peloton for everything but 7% gradients it seems.

We might be heading into a new era.

Reactions: Poursuivant
So, did the team actually coach him with this? I basically predicted a scenario where things like this happen, months ago. I find it difficult to believe i was the only one who could see something like this happen. Nibali pushing in the descent, Evenepoel trying to follow and pushing his limits, which is always dangerous in a descent. Normal 20 yo's have been riding maybe 10 years, are riding at a much lower level in the U23's, or after going pro', they get to learn in the peloton for a few years, before having to race for victory. That only usually happens after having completed a grand tour or two, where you get dozens of descents like this. Remco didn't have all that.

His temperament and inexperience will (i fear) cost him. I'm looking at Nibali first and foremost, as a sly experienced contender, who will take advantage of that. Pressure him in the descent, make Evenepoel work in the chase (laying all the responsibility on him when another top 10 rider is in the break) etc.

Here’s hoping he will be alright and come back soon!

Pending what might happen next with his injury and possible inability to compete for the remainder of the season, it will only add to his status in the peloton. There will be a lot of ‘if Remco had been able to race he would have smoked the opposition...’ comments in this forum later on.
But of course that is not important now. Get well young man.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So, did the team actually coach him with this? I basically predicted a scenario where things like this happen, months ago. I find it difficult to believe i was the only one who could see something like this happen. Nibali pushing in the descent, Evenepoel trying to follow and pushing his limits, which is always dangerous in a descent. Normal 20 yo's have been riding maybe 10 years, are riding at a much lower level in the U23's, or after going pro', they get to learn in the peloton for a few years, before having to race for victory. That only usually happens after having completed a grand tour or two, where you get dozens of descents like this. Remco didn't have all that.
What on earth is wrong with you. Cold-blooded xx just wanted to show off yourself. This accident could happen to anyone. Show some respect rather than saying told you so when some one is in the hospital.