• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
There's a certain insanity to a sport when a fractured pelvis and a lung contusion are also partially met with "it could have been worse"

I am sometimes amazed how many bad, bad crashes happen and how often these crashes end "rather well". Seeing someone go over a wall like that, falling into the deep... and then hearing that he's alive, conscious, answering questions... I don't know. It's just pure relief. The thoughts about what that means for his career come later.

Terrible thing to happen to anyone, let alone the biggest prodigy of cycling since Merckx.
Sad thing is that probably Nibali decided the winner of this Lombardia, but it wasn't and couldn't have been him or any of his teammates.
Remco most probably would have won, but he will have plenty more opportunities if he comes back, so it's not that important.
Hopefully he will fully heal soon and returns to his insane level in 2021... That's the best we can hope for now.
He is young, strong and determined, and such people often accomplish things one might not beleive to be possible in such a sort time.

I haven't seen his Xray so I won't try to play doc, but I have fractured my pelvis twice, both on the same side. One is a near the top of the pubic bone and the other is in the ischium near the femur socket. Once healed, the first one didn't have any issues, but the second has been a 15 year battle of issues which can be summed up with the 'final' diagnosis of ischial-femoral impingement. Getting a seat set correctly is a PAINstaking process, and even then, there are plenty of uncomfortable times on the bike.

Most of my ride now are two hour mountain bike rides, but I know that there is no way to do six to eight hour road days, day after day. He could probably get it fixed correctly instead of just letting them fix themselves, but I hope that his fracture is up in the flat part of the ilium so the the chances of later issues are really low.

GET WELL young man!

I haven't seen his Xray so I won't try to play doc, but I have fractured my pelvis twice, both on the same side. One is a near the top of the pubic bone and the other is in the ischium near the femur socket. Once healed, the first one didn't have any issues, but the second has been a 15 year battle of issues which can be summed up with the 'final' diagnosis of ischial-femoral impingement. Getting a seat set correctly is a PAINstaking process, and even then, there are plenty of uncomfortable times on the bike.

Most of my ride now are two hour mountain bike rides, but I know that there is no way to do six to eight hour road days, day after day. He could probably get it fixed correctly instead of just letting them fix themselves, but I hope that his fracture is up in the flat part of the ilium so the the chances of later issues are really low.

GET WELL young man!
Lefevere did say that it was fractured near the femur socket. I guess we will know more about the severity the next couple of days/weeks

Ouch! Hope he's able to fully recover.
Is it me or does it feel like there are becoming more and more serious crashes with injuries in cycling? We have auto racing putting in safer barriers and doing other things to prevent death and serious injury to drivers while it feels like cycling is becoming less safe. That likely isn't the case that it's less safe, just more crashes.

Reactions: KZD
Ouch! Hope he's able to fully recover.
Is it me or does it feel like there are becoming more and more serious crashes with injuries in cycling? We have auto racing putting in safer barriers and doing other things to prevent death and serious injury to drivers while it feels like cycling is becoming less safe. That likely isn't the case that it's less safe, just more crashes.

We have certainly had a few rough weeks but I don't think it's a general picture.

First thing he said to Lefevere was "Sorry".
He then insisted to record a video for his teammates.
He also said... "I was gonna win"

Apparently he went into the brakes too hard because the two riders in front of him started to swerve or something.

In my opinion, and yes it is just an opinion, he looked the easiest by a far margin. It looked like he could have moved on the climb but chose to wait. And as Nibali was getting dropped briefly near the top, Remco was looking around, mouth hardly open. And if you extrapolate from the fact that only a week has gone by since he dominated Fulsgang, doubt he is wrong in his assessment.

however descending and not crashing is part of cycling. He may have been the strongest (which is crazy to think on its own. But fulsgang is the deserving winner of the race.

TRENDING THREADS