• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I'm really sad after what happened to Remco. Hopefully he fully recovers for the next season. I think this phenom will regularly show off 7 w/kg climbing performances in the future. Coupled with his excellent TTs sky is the limit. He has so much time to win big races and I won't even guess how many GTs he can win. I've never seen a generation with such amazing young GT prospects: not only him but also guys like Pogacar and Bernal.

Last edited:
So, next year he'll (again) be looking at going to the Olympics if they take place. Else he'll look at the GT profiles and ITT 's will be a deciding factor.
He currently weighs 59.5 kg, which is actually below what he was supposed to weigh going into the Giro (60-61). In two weeks he'll go to Herentals for a checkup, at that time they will know if he can start training on a bike again.

He said he thinks Bernal either is not on form due to the Covid break, or may possibly be overtrained. When he compares Bernal's training rides on Strava with his own schedule, he seems to believe Bernal may be doing long hours too frequently.

He's impressed by van Aert and Pogacar. Pogacar now confirms what he did at the Vuelta, but his team is not that great at supporting him. Thinks van Aert would need to lose too much weight if he ever wanted to go for GT GC win.

He preferred the Suisse WCC course over the one in Imola.

Even though cycling appears to be less of a team sport than football (soccer), he felt football was actually more egocentric. People hoping a teammate would fail so they would get a shot next time.

In an interview with HLN he said he initially wanted to ride the Vuelta if that were at all possible, but that they assured him it was best to focus on next year. He still remembers everything from the crash. When he fell, it was like dropping down a black hole, due to the shade. He fell on his feet and was crying for help, but his voice didn't seem to travel well and nobody heard him. It were 5 very lonely minutes until help showed up.

So, next year he'll (again) be looking at going to the Olympics if they take place. Else he'll look at the GT profiles and ITT 's will be a deciding factor.
He currently weighs 59.5 kg, which is actually below what he was supposed to weigh going into the Giro (60-61). In two weeks he'll go to Herentals for a checkup, at that time they will know if he can start training on a bike again.

He said he thinks Bernal either is not on form due to the Covid break, or may possibly be overtrained. When he compares Bernal's training rides on Strava with his own schedule, he seems to believe Bernal may be doing long hours too frequently.

He's impressed by van Aert and Pogacar. Pogacar now confirms what he did at the Vuelta, but his team is not that great at supporting him. Thinks van Aert would need to lose too much weight if he ever wanted to go for GT GC win.

He preferred the Suisse WCC course over the one in Imola.

Even though cycling appears to be less of a team sport than football (soccer), he felt football was actually more egocentric. People hoping a teammate would fail so they would get a shot next time.

In an interview with HLN he said he initially wanted to ride the Vuelta if that were at all possible, but that they assured him it was best to focus on next year. He still remembers everything from the crash. When he fell, it was like dropping down a black hole, due to the shade. He fell on his feet and was crying for help, but his voice didn't seem to travel well and nobody heard him. It were 5 very lonely minutes until help showed up.

Tx for update. My only unanswered question: do they think he will return fully?

Next RCS meeting.

Random dude: "Mauro have you heard Remco's last interview?"
Vegni: "Don't tell me the little motherf*cker wants to go to the Tour next year".
Dude: "No he's choosing the TT heavier parcours".
Vegni: "Go get me that stupid Gavia-Stelvio-Mortirolo profile you designed during lockdown".
Dude: "Finally a true queen stage in the Giro!"
Vegni: "No that's our third ITT".

Tbh, Remco is not really the guy you'd want too often as a guest on a talkshow, despite the remarkable self-confidence and maturity he already has at such young age.
This was just a bit awkward because he was sitting at home in front of a screen. Last year in the jaaroverzicht he was much more alive.
He also doesn't have a lot of stories to tell about cycling since he just started. It's up to the interviewer to ask the right questions instead of asking stuff he can only parrot from what others told him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This was just a bit awkward because he was sitting at home in front of a screen. Last year in the jaaroverzicht he was much more alive.
He also doesn't have a lot of stories to tell about cycling since he just started. It's up to the interviewer to ask the right questions instead of asking stuff he can only parrot from what others told him.

True, and maybe that will 'improve' (not that it has to) when he ages. I didn't see het jaaroverzicht but I get similar vibes when listening to his interviews.

According to Lefevere, Remco is already riding on the rollers, but without putting pressure. They assume the fracture will heal well.
They had to talk him out of wanting to go to the Vuelta, because his muscles have diminished a lot in the past month. He should join the team on the first team training camp in December.

Lefevere would like him to do a GT other than the TDF as a first GT, for instance the Giro. But he also has to see which routes suit him more (ITT's).

True, and maybe that will 'improve' (not that it has to) when he ages. I didn't see het jaaroverzicht but I get similar vibes when listening to his interviews.
In Vive le Vélo, he was often looking down instead of in the camera, apparently his monitor was below the camera, and that's why it seemed he wasn't interested or not looking "at" the others.

He has amazing skills and abilities. I am not sure what you would see if you had Bernal, PR, TP in the same race as him. Can he climb like them? Numbers say yes, but out in the actual sun/wind/snow/rain what would happen?

Still, I do see him winning almost anything he wants to. And anything that has a few ITTs are a shot at him gaining major time over anyone.

Forgot to mention in an earlier post:
Next season he'll build up towards the Ardennes classics, and by then they should have an idea whether the Olympics will take place or not. Then they can plan the schedule for the rest of the season.
His favorite win so far was the solo in Poland. But he was also very proud to beat Dennis in the Algarve ITT.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In Vive le Vélo, he was often looking down instead of in the camera, apparently his monitor was below the camera, and that's why it seemed he wasn't interested or not looking "at" the others.

Isn't that usually how it is? Most modern computers have a build-in camera at the top of the monitor. And he might have been making the mistake of looking "at" the others, by looking at their picture on the screen.

Isn't that usually how it is? Most modern computers have a build-in camera at the top of the monitor. And he might have been making the mistake of looking "at" the others, by looking at their picture on the screen.
This wasn't a simple tablet/laptop setup, obviously.

9a427812-f608-11ea-aae0-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

But I still don't think it was some fancy setup with the entire screen being the camera. Besides, couldn't they have a screen like that on their end, and a more simple setup on his end?
They needed a better camera resolution than your average 640x800 laptop camera. Whether they could have done it differently is also besides the point. The point is they didn't and he had to look down to look at his screen and needed to look up to look into the camera. There was also no lag or stuttering as often seen in distance-interviews over skype or zoom. It's clear they didn't go for a basic setup.

Poor guy..to me he looks a little drained. All that time in the hospital. I wish with all my heart he makes a full recovery. I want to see him win everything. I keep watching Le Tour de France and can't help myself wishing he was in the mix. It would have been great to see him battle those guys, even though he wasn't scheduled for it, I still wish it.

Reactions: Big Doopie

TRENDING THREADS